Build Log: Project Black and White Define R5 > Obsidian 900D - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Build Log: Project Black and White Define R5 > Obsidian 900D

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 36)
Hello all,
As title states, there has been some changes with this build, including it getting a new case that arrives tomorrow. I'm going to be posting pictures of how the project started, and lead up to how it stands nowadays. Here we go, enjoy and please comment and let me know what you think! thumb.gif

FIRST UPDATE

Current state:
No modifications, just put it in the new case, did what I could with the cable management that's visible. Back side is still a mess.

Next Step(s):
Organize/clean up the wiring on the back side as much as possible
Try to clean up the wiring on the front side a tad, has a few odd ends that I think can be fixed
Install new sleeved extensions when they arrive.
Plan for a water cooling loop.
How it sits right now. I'll take a picture of the wiring in the back once I open it back up to install the sleeved extensions that I will be receiving.

This won't be no crazy project like some of the awesome ones you see on here, but I still want to share it with you guys and hopefully you all enjoy it! :toast:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

SECOND UPDATE:

Here is what I have inbound now. Decided to go with white sleeving as the case has a black/white theme to it. I know it does not go with the board itself but I will eventually replace this board/CPU setup, and then I can throw something in there to go with it smile.gif

Here's what I have on the way to help with the wiring side of the build. Figured with this assortment of clamps, etc, I should be able to route/organize the back side efficiently, at least I hope smile.gif

CableMod Basic ModFlex™ Cable Extension Kit - Dual 6+2 Pin Series - WHITE

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

THIRD UPDATE

Alright guys, so big update here. I said the hell with it, and got a new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo. Decided to go with the Ryzen 1700 CPU, ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard, and some GSKILL RAM. My system specs is updated if you want to look at specifics. Although the board had great reviews, I also liked that it went well with the theme of the Define R5 case which is white/black. I also got the RAM in a color that went with it.

During this install, I took the opportunity to install my white sleeved PSU extensions, and do some organizing in the back side of the case. For now it's on the stock cooler but next up is a water cooling loop. I'm starting my research now on what components to get, but I'm open to any suggestions on radiator, and pumps I should use. I think it looks pretty good, what do you all think?

Some cable management in the back side so that some of the wires are not just cluttered where ever I could stash them.

The old SSD, and the new one, Samsung EVO 500GB

Did what I could with the back side, but unless I do some custom length wires, or sleeve the wires that come from the PSU to get rid of the extensions, I can't do much about all the left over wiring frown.gif I'll keep picking at it little by little but this is as good as it gets for now.

The end result on the front side

My next steps are the following:
Add a water cooling loop
Sleeve the front panel connectors/header wires that plug into motherboard. Kind of an eye sore, especially the front panel SATA wires that are right next to the white sleeved 24 pin connector on the mother board.
Hopefully you guys are enjoying the updates and the build so far. Open to suggestions :toast:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

FOURTH UPDATE

Alright fellas. Been a while but here is an update on how the PC is coming out.

I finally received my water cooling kit. It is an EK P280 kit I got from EK, as suggested earlier in this thread. Great performance. Dropped my idle temps from about 45-50ºc and 3.2 GHz @1.200v, to 25-30ºc at 3.8 GHz and 1.392v. Load temps went from about 85-90ºc, to 60-65ºc. Super happy with the kit. Here are a few pictures:

I ended up using separate tubing I had bought which was the PrimoChill white LRT tubing.

Fans mounted. One of them came with the sticker coming off. No problem though, I will be getting two other fans that will match the rear exhaust fan of the case

Here is a shot of the radiator mounted to the front of the case, and then with the filter on. Can't tell it's there smile.gif Yes, filter was cleaned out after wards

Went ahead and mounted the pump/reservoir combo.

Water block installed. Great piece of work by EK :rockout:

Here is the finished product. I think it looks great!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

FIFTH UPDATE

Unfortunately while I was removing the factory cooler from the Ryzen chip, it pulled the chip out with it. The CPU was fine, but shortly after a RAM slot died on the mother board. Then the system stopped posting. I shipped the stuff back to Newegg (board and CPU) and they advised the board was no good. Regardless I got both replaced and I should have a replacement board and CPU here this week if all goes well. I took the downtime to order a new PSU, and a PSU Cable replacement set so that I can have all the PSU cables sleeved, and without extensions. This will drastically improve my cable management, especially on the back side as there won't be so much extra wire.

The PSU I bought was an EVGA 1000W supernova G2. The sleeved PSU replacement set is from Cable Mod. Can't wait to finish putting it together with the new PSU and cables

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

LATEST UPDATE, HOW COMPUTER SITS RIGHT NOW

New PSU replacement cable set from Cablemods arrived, and installed it along with the PSU. Took the chance to clean things up a tad more. I'll keep you'll posted and update with more pics when I start moving things over to the new case.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Meddling user

Rep: 730 (Unique: 342)
Nice smile.gif .

Really like those EVGA G2, wanted one ages ago, instead a Cooler Master V850 came up at a crazy promo and couldn't resist it. I gotta dip my toe in WC'ing a rig as well blushsmiley.gif .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

Nice smile.gif .

Really like those EVGA G2, wanted one ages ago, instead a Cooler Master V850 came up at a crazy promo and couldn't resist it. I gotta dip my toe in WC'ing a rig as well blushsmiley.gif .

Can't go wrong with Cooler Master either, especially if a good price. I actually forgot to post pictures of the case swap. Got everything in the 900D. Wiring has slightly been revised but I haven't taken any pics. I have some MDPC goodies on the way, along with a mid plate for the case. So once I get to that round of modding, I'll post pictures of the update.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Some goodies came in from MDPC and Cold Zero. Some sleeving goodies, and a midplate for the 900D. Sleeving is for the front panel wiring, and fan cables as my PSU cables are already sleeved. Now, to find the time to do it all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in