[Build Log] Monolith - Lian Li PC-V3000 Threadripper Build - Pic Heavy - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Monolith - Lian Li PC-V3000 Threadripper Build - Pic Heavy

post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 47)
And so it begins. This will be my first build log (although not my first build) in what will be my first Water cooled PC. Be forewarned this build will be pic heavy and will come in stages that may be a few weeks apart. I'm also aware that this case has had no reviews so far, so ask away if you've got any questions.

Stage 1 - The Basic Build
Stage 2 - Water Cooling
Stage 3 - Improving the Aesthetics

The Monolith is coming.......

Case: - Lian Li PC-V3000
Motherboard: - ASUS Zenith Extreme
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x 12C/24T
Memory: - 4 x 8GB G.skill TridentZ RGB 4266 CL19 (Well aware Ryzen won't run this speed, but I'm hoping to never have to buy DDR4 again biggrin.gif)
GPU: - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Gaming Black Edition
Storage: - OS: Samsung 960 Pro Nvme 512GB, Data: Seagate 6TB Enterprise SED HDD, Data: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Scratch: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
Temporary Cooler - EVGA 120mm CLC
Water Blocks - GPU: XSPC Razor RGB, CPU: XSPC Raystorm Neo sTR4 or EK Monoblock (pending release)
Radiators - XSPC RX480 V3 (Bottom), Hardware Labs GTS 360 (Top)
Fans - Be-Quiet Silent Wings 3, Silverstone Fan Hub
Other Water Cooling - AlphaCool Clear UV Blue Tubing, Barrow Fittings, FrozenQ LFX XSPC D170 Photon V2 Reservoir, Alphacool D5 Vario, Mayhems X1 Coolant, Mayhems UV Clear Sky Blue Dye
Lighting and Accessories: - Cablemod UV LED strip, Cablemod Adressable RGB strip, EVGA Sleeved Cable Set

Possible Future Parts: - 2nd 1080 ti

Final Build:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Pictures don't do this case justice. It's gorgeous!

Side, top, and front panels just snap into place. No more thumbscrews holding panels on. Makes for a nice, almost seamless look.

Magnetic dust filter on the top. However, I'm a bit disappointed that there is no dust filter on the side (beneath the tempered glass) where the radiator mount is. Seems like a big oversight. I've e-mailed Lian Li to see if maybe I just didn't get one, but if it's by design, it's a rather disappointing omission for an expensive flagship case like this.

The front panel contains an ordinary RGB LED strip that can be swapped out with anything you'd like.

PSU in place and HDD cage removed for better airflow when the bottom rad gets put in.

Screws for the hard drive brackets all have rubber washers (Nice touch!) and there are thumbscrews for attaching the motherboard to the tray. Long and short ones. Unfortunately the long ones interfere with the GPU on the far left bottom slots, but it's definitely a unique and convenient feature for Lian Li.

The rear HDD mount has rubber washers for vibration reduction but I found a fatal flaw for my Enterprise HDD. Apparently Enterprise drives don't have the same screw holes as consumer drives (whoops). Luckily the top threads were close enough to the bracket that I created my own solution that is solid and still dampens vibration.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Love this case! subbed~!
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Parts wired up and in place. The lighting looks great even behind the tinted glass. It'll be even better once I get the water cooling parts and LEDs installed. As you can see, there's a ton of space in this case.

Onboard OLED on the Zenith Extreme

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 02:03 AM
New001

Yeah that is a great looking case, not such a fan of the HDD tray system, prefer something like the ones in my case NZXT switch 810, but they definitely would look better for a display build biggrin.gif

Nice looking bits n pieces, looking forward to the end product
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So came across a problem this morning. My 3.5" HDD on the backplate was getting rather warm (50*C), while Seagate says they're ok up to 60, I didn't feel comfortable leaving it there. I debated on adding back in the rear HDD mount, but I feel like it's going to obstruct airflow more than I want when I get the radiator in, so I went with the HDD tray in the main compartment for now and added my old Samsung 840 Pro to the rear for symmetry wink.gif . Interesting to note that even though Lian Li lists this case as having 85mm worth of rad space at the top, that's to the top of the motherboard. If you want to use a HDD in the top tray or have access to your top wire pass-through, you've got about 66mm to work with. I plan on using a Nemesis GTS up top anyway, so not a concern for my build. If you're interested however, in the front (without trays) you've got 177mm for rads/fans to the edge of the wire passthrough. The bottom has about 95mm, so thick rads are definitely doable in this case.

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Progress update today. I bought a Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 fan and a Phanteks Halos to test out. Definitely Recommended. I wasn't sure how the Halos would do with a black fan, but I realized I had nothing to worry about. Even gives a nice pattern with the ridges on the Silent Wings. I got the Luxe version because it came with the cable for ASUS Aura. I'll probably get the plastic ones for my bottom 480 rad since the frame really won't be seen. The Luxe are nice, but I doubt they are worth the premium over the plastic versions once you have the motherboard cable.

Also received my LFX Reservoir today. Took some pictures with it dry. I'll try to do some shots later with some distilled water and Mayhems Clear UV dye. Pictures don't do it justice. These are lit by Cablemod UV strips. Not sure how I feel about the UV red yet as it's a little orangish. Waiting on a darkside 5mm UV to really light up the core and maybe with the Mayhems Dye it'll lean a little more towards red. I ended up placing the rear HDD cage back in the case and moved my HDD drive there as it was going to interfere with the res in the front. Hopefully I'll sell my old components soon and can fund the rest of my watercooling parts.

Threw in some Alphacool Clear UV tubing to check it out. Looks great under the lights.

post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Subbed ?
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I've been looking everywhere for this case. Can you hook me up with a retailer? Great looking build btw!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in