[Build Log] A minor budget upgrade of a pc from 2009 x58+xeon x5680+thermaltake f31+watercooling - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] A minor budget upgrade of a pc from 2009 x58+xeon x5680+thermaltake f31+watercooling

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I have a kind of old pc, it was bought in 2008, it's original exact specks are history now, but luckuly enough the lga 775 motherboard died.
Therefore it was replaced with "top of the line" lga 1366 motherboard Asus p6t with a really fast i7 920 cpu cooled by coolermaster gemini double 120 cpu cooler, on top of that it had 6 (3x2gb) corsair dominator ram, 850w thermaltake psu, asus gtx470 and all of it was in all aluminium thermaltake tsunami case
It was powerful and all the top games ar that time. Few years down the line gtx470 died, and on the tight budget was replaced by msi 750ti.
Nowdays it it's performance was enough to surf the internet, do world processing and play civilization 6.
The main problem of that pc was the noise, it was never configured for good airflow. And it is probably the reason why it survive for 9 years.
2017 was time to upgrade and i desided to build a new one from scrach here is a link for the buillog of unfinished build https://www.overclock.net/t/1625793/lian-li-pc-q-37-the-show-off-htpc/20#post_26362929 but at the time all the case mods were finished I cold not afford to buy all the planned hardware. Thus desided to upgrade the old rig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Firstly i decided to fight the fan noise and replaced all the fans with be quiet silent wings 3
3746c232_image.jpeg
e4b7d12c_image.jpeg
The reduction of noise was great, however the old hardware with new fans could not deliver good performance, even overclocked @3.6gHz

so i decided to upgrade the cpu from [email protected],66gHz to xeon [email protected],3 gHz from aliexpress for $65
On top of that found on ebay an exactly same ram kit as i had corsair dominator [email protected] for £20
And later decided to change gtx750ti to something a bit more powerful such as evga gtx980ti ftw for $360 (including shipping from the US to Russia

The results were great, but the fan noise of this card was a bit too loud for me
So i decided to go custom loop
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The hunt for watercooling parts
After searching ebay and Russian adds i found a set of watercooling gear including 2 waterblocks (EKWB Supremacy Evo gold edition and GTX 980ti full cover acetal-nickel) and a d5 pump-res combo and some fittings for a bargian price of 8000 rubles ($130)

To control the fan curve i wanted to use Aquaero, but i could not find one for a good price anywhere, but i found it's little brother Poweradjust 2 Ultra and some temp sensors.

From the unfinished mini ITX project I had 2 240 Hardware Labs BlackIce Nemesis slim Rads so I used one of them
Ordered some Barrow hard tube 12mm fittings and some extensions and one BlackIce Nemesis GTS 360 rad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The original plan was to use old thermaltake tsunami case, but after playing with rads and fans I figured out that it will be much easier to buy a new case designed for watercooling with good airflow, the choice was between expensive and hard to get in Russia Phanteks Evolv

and much cheaper Thermaltake Supressor F31 TG edition

After researching online I figured out that Phanteks Evolv has terrible airflow. To improve the airflow the top and front panels have to be heavily modded in order to get some decient thermals so I decided to go with thermaltake, a few days later it arrived to my door.I started the build.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Installing the motherboard and cpu was not a problem, watercooling is the difficult part:
The silicon insert was too thick, it just did not want to go incide the tube niether soap nor oil helped. It was too big for my PETG tubes. A solution was an easy one. I got a silicone hose in a car parts shop, unfortunatelly it was 9 mm thick, so the tube was kind of collapcing in places there it was bent, but could be put back to place with fingers.

To cut the tube i bought a cheap tube cutting tool, it works fine, to clean the inside of the cut i bought a drill bit.

To fill the loop i used a massive (160ml) syringe, had to visit 4 farmacies in order to find it and the mentioned above silicone hose

But the major problem came from the GPU
EVGA 980ti FTW was not compatible with the wareblock, at first i looked on the pictures of the pcb of ftw and the only differences I've seen were the led header and the 8-pin power connector, both of them can be easily solved with a little help from the dremel tool, but i was wrong! the card actually has 8 phases instead 6 as on the founders edition pcb and the power delivery system is higher by around 3-4 mm thus the waterclock can not be installed, so i put it back in the rig and placed an add on the internet for a swap of evga ftw to any founders edition 980ti
The loop was half built and i decided to carry on just with the cpu block
I ended up with an overkill radiator setup 360+240 rads

The stage 1 of the watercooling setup was done the system was filled and leaktested
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

To control the fans I used aqua computer powerajust, unfortunatelly it does not have all the capabilities of the aquaero such as setting up a fan rpm curve based on different temps but it is possible to set up a target liquid temp and powerajust control the fans based on the target liquid temp

The system is overcklocked thus Northbridge and the VRMs have to be cooled somehow
I used 2 80mm Noiseblocker fans bought for mini ITX project. One on the top of the case for the VRM's

One next to the Northbridge resting on top of the GPU's backplate

The drain valve is placed on the bottom inlet of the pump-res combo

I also decided to add some sleeved extensions

To fix the cables I used aluminium cable combs, they are a just a bit stronger than the plastic ones

To add a bit of colour to the rig I installed an RGB strip. I did not have an RGB controller of any kind so i used a manual one) connected red and blue wire together in order to get purple

Here is the final pictures of the lit up system

I've managed to get a stable OC on the xeon x5680 of 4,5 gHz @ 1.4v, but the temperatures were getting too high for the watercooled CPU (up to 92C on one of the cores). I think that I just put too much thermal paste. So I downclocked it back to 4gHz. It is better to be safe than sorry.

P.S. I found founders edition 980ti for a swap so the watercooling jorney will continue
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've managed to swap the 980ti FTW to 980ti FE
While i was waiting for the card to arrive I had to use old 750ti. 750ti is very cool card thus I decided to v-mount it by use of thermaltake vertical gpu bracket and a Lian Li riser cable (it was too long for Mini ITX build)
The problem was that Thermaltake riser cable is mounted differently to the bracket than Lian Li, but with some bolts and tools it was done

Than the FE card arrived all I had to do is swap it.

FE is a loud and hot card((( it looks like it can be used as a hair dryer)
Now i'm waiting for the weekend to watercool the FE card and change the pci-e extentions from 8+8 pin to 6+8 pin
I've also ordered a second 360 gts rad to mount it in the front of the case instead of 240, should i wait for the rad to arrive or just watercool the card?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Finally I've installed the gpu waterblock. It was as always "easy".
Firstly after close expection of the waterblock I found rhat it was missing a few standoffs

I decided to borrow two standoffs from the GTX FE waterblock, they did fit, but they have different thread size, so i had to borrow a couple bolts as well.
The problem with "high" temps on the cpu was due to the thermal paste.
The new softer thermalpaste was applied and the cpu waterblock was placed back and the 980ti with the waterblock was installed in its place.

It was 11pm then I finished and it was a bit too late to start bending tubes, the heatgun is not a silent tool and the kids are asleep.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

All watercooling gear is installed, but as usual it was not all easy
the loop was completed, filled up and put to leaktest
One of the dual rorary fittings made a leak, right ontop of the video card
I had to disassemble the loop, take same fitting from the other place in the loop and change a tube from straight to bent one.
I took appart the gpu and the waterblock (just in case if some water got stuck in there)
Reassembled the loop and put it to the leak test again

After few hours of leaktesting No leaks detected!!! BUT the air just would not bleed away, something went went wrong.
After a close look at the CPU waterblock I found that it was blocked with gunk, bits of silicone which fell of the silicon insert when I was bending tubes.
I had to drain the loop again, take appart the waterblock and give it a good clean with a toothbrush.

(the picture is taken after I gave It a clean second time)
Sunday morning I run to the gas station to get some more destilled water, drained the loop again, cleaned the waterblocks again and desided to clean the entire loop, but instead of disassembling it I got a cheap fuel filter on the same gas station and "installed" it into the loop

After 4 leters of distilled water 4 refillis and drains of the loop it was put together for the last time. leaktested for 2 more hours and by 8pm I've pressed the POWER button. The rig was alive!!! All runing at stock frequency CPU and GPU and it is very cool. Heaven benchmarck showed around 52 degrees after running for half an hour

Now all that left to do is to fine tune the CPU and GPU
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The rig is running fine firstly it migrated to different case lian li pc o11d, all watercooled including vrm and north and south bridge.
Even the performance was good it was not good enough for me.
I bought a new z170 maximus viii hero motherboard and paired it with i7 8700k (oc’d it to 5ghz), changed my 980ti to 1080ti (managed to get one with a waterblock for less than $450usd) and now it is up and running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in