[Build Log] Taowulf's Hex in a beQuiet! Dark Base 700 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Taowulf's Hex in a beQuiet! Dark Base 700

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 23)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Oh my god, what have I started?

Cable sleeving is part of phase 2...thankfully.

Back up and running.

Now if I could just get my Modi 2 to start working...but I think I will go have breakfast before I tackle that again. After all, it is 10AM and I haven't eaten since... I don't recall. Some tomato soup maybe 8 hours ago.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

What a weekend. It is 10PM here and I have been awake for 36 hours.

Now that I have that out of the way, as I last mentioned, my new build, the GLORIOUS COLLECTION OF PARTS THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY (no, really) for some reason would not detect my USB DAC. It is a Schiit Modi 2, never really had a problem with it until today. So after a sublime breakfast chimichanga (great little BBQ place oddly enough) I traipsed on down to Amazon's Showroom, I mean Best Buy, to grab a powered USB hub for my final try at making the USB work. Well, it detected it well enough to tell me it couldn't make it work. For some odd reason. But I had a backup plan!

Optical input. Which means I guess I am using on board sound again. Kinda. Works fine now.

So then I puttered around most of the day and played with fan curves and the like. Couldn't figure out why Gigabyte's SIV software gave me a range from about 4700 RPM to 4800 RPM on my allegedly PWM capable D5. Eventually I figured out the Fan software in the BIOS was limiting what the SIV software was offering. So after that epiphany, I quickly set up curves for the pump, the front 5 rad fans, and the two 140's and in the BIOS, no need to mess with the SIV software at that point. The 140's are set nice and low, they don't need to move tons of air, but I think I need two tweak the pump to be a LITTLE faster, after all, .30 GPM is probably lower than I want. And a couple hundred more RPM on the rad fans wouldn't hurt either.

Oh, and Gigabyte's RGB software is...finicky to say the least. I've had a couple random color changes for no apparent reason.

I have more acrylic tooooobs coming next week as well as a different insert. So hopefully with a better fit there and a little more patience on my part, I can get the bends looking like something that doesn't have leprosy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So I woke up from a very restful 11 hours of sleep (well, mostly rested) and when I first looked at my pretty new build (except for the poor bending job and slightly off vertical res) I notice that my fluid has gone completely clear. Where is the suspended mica? It doesn't seem to be stuck in the blocks or the bottom of the res as far as I can see, but it might be all at the bottom of my drain port.

So one day for the UFO Technologies Cryo-Chill to work it's way into a non-flow portion of my loop.

I have to laugh a little. I doubt I am going to flip my build upside down every 24 hours to try to keep in in suspension.

But I love the clear orange color of the fluid.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:00 PM
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
The OP looks much better now.

That coolant looks so awesome in the video! I would love that effect on my build, but I'm just too paranoid about the particles plugging everything up.

Keep us posted how that coolant works out longer term.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
The OP looks much better now.

That coolant looks so awesome in the video! I would love that effect on my build, but I'm just too paranoid about the particles plugging everything up.

Keep us posted how that coolant works out longer term.

The good news is that it doesn't look like it has gummed my blocks up at all. Most likely it is all either in my rad or has all gone down the trapdoor into the drain port.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ahh, the joys of working from home.

In between calls, I was playing with fans and pump curves, went ahead and maxed out the pump speed to see if I could get any action with the missing particles...it chased up a few for but then cleared again. Then I noticed a vast discrepancy in Gigabyte's SIV software that I probably would have noticed yesterday had I not been awake for 36 hours. It seems that the CPU temp sensor that SIV uses is ridiculously off actual temps. That isn't cool (haha) guys. It is lower by 10-15C compared to HWInfo, even checked with CoreTemp as it shows the same difference as well. This is very bad for trying to come up with appropriate fan curves. I might have to find something similar to SpeedFan to get correct reporting and curves. If SIV (which means System Information Viewer, BTW) is that far off, and you can't change to the correct sensor, it is more than useless. It is dangerous if you are overclocking. Shame, Gigabyte, shame.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

If it isn't one thing it is another.

Another day off, and after taking care of a needed chore (the joy of living in a RV) time to to some gaming.

But why do I have artifacts? My GPU OC is lower tha the highest I had it on my old system, what has changed? Oh, PCI-E Riser cable. Apparently either not as well shielded as the manufacturer claims. So I have another one on the way. Hopefully this will let me get the graphics card clocks up to snuff. I have it at about +100 on GPU clock and Mem Clock, no artifacts there at all. Also tweaking the CPU overclock, currently at 5.3 and adding small voltage tweaks as needed when I need to.

Adjusted my temp monitoring on this nifty Rainmeter gadget. First temp under "H20" is ambient, second is water temp.

I should get around to relabeling that soon. The only other thing I should add to it is flow rate. I currently have that on my taskbar.

The skin is called Minimalist Loop Information

Here we go, updated the skin -

Last edited by taowulf; 03-27-2018 at 04:42 PM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So I live in a 34' Fleetwood Bounder RV (link to the Walter White Home office in my sig) and temperatures can get toasty during the daytime. Even though it was in the mid 60's today (around 18C) inside, it was a toasty 80F/27C in here today, so while I had some time between calls I did some testing with the front panel on. This is with a [email protected] load, which is what I normally run when I am not gaming. Prior to putting the front on the case, CPU temps were running around 147F/64C my fans were mildly audible at around 1300RPM. So I put the front panel and in no time CPU temps went up to around 72-74C. So I bumped the fans up to around 1500RPM or so, which was loud enough to hear over my next call.

So the short of the story is that the front panel is going to get cut like a snitch. No stiches. I have been pondering this for a while, and the quick test I did today makes it an easy call.

Oh, and I turned the case upside down for a little bit to see how much of the suspended particles I could get back into the loop.

Before -

and after -

I have more acrylic now, and as soon as I decide to redo the horrible bends I did, I will be turning the 4 way fitting at the outlet of the pump 90 degrees, as long as I can fit the ball valve between the fitting and the side of the case.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I was up to about 5.2Ghz for a while until I had a blue screen the other night that appeared to clear out all my saved OC profiles in the Gigabyte's BIOS. So I went back to 5Ghz for now, using around 1.3V which has been usage stable (I haven't done any serious stability testing in a while)

But today it is mighty warm in here and the Voltage drop has done it's job, current temps inside this tin can are at 37C which is nearly 100F. With the "lost" overclock at a 30C ambient, still under 1.4V, the CPU would be around 70-72C while folding.

My handy rainmeter plugin -
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in