[X58] X is for Xeon - Budget Gaming! - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[X58] X is for Xeon - Budget Gaming!

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Avid Memer

Rep: 230 (Unique: 172)
There's two X58 threads in the Intel - General section. You can get all kinds of help in either of those threads. There's a wealth of information about this platform in both threads.

El Diablo
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon X5670
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth x58
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070
RAM
Mushkin 6x2GB XP3-12800
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203B
Power Supply
Corsair AX750
Cooling
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Case
Fractal Design Define R4
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Keyboard
Deck Legend - Fire
Mouse
Razer Lachesis
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad
Audio
Astro A50
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 95 (Unique: 63)
An update on the situation - mostly good!

The AIO cooler I ordered arrived earlier this morning, so I decided to remove the placeholder that I was borrowing from my D5400XS Skulltrail build and made a start on installing it.

I have to say, it was a rather unpleasant experience, to say the least. The mounting is not exactly "quick and easy", neither is it very friendly. After removing the placeholder cooler, I decided to give it a quick clean and reapply a fresh amount of thermal paste. I felt it best to take the CPU out of the socket so that I didn't accidentally wipe it on any part of the socket or motherboard. After wiping the CPU clean, I noticed a small amount of thermal paste leftover on the tightening bracket around the socket - no problem, i'll gently clean that off with some tissue.

However, as I did this, in one foul stroke, the tissue snagged one single pin in the socket and bent it at least 90* in the opposite direction it normally faces - hindsight-tip, go with the grain in case you accidentally snag a pin in the socket! Many very strong and loud swear words later, I bent the pin back as close as possible to its original resting position. You can notice it's not quite right just with the naked eye, but I couldn't get it to fair any better in comparison to the rest of the pins.

I prayed to the gods that I hadn't ruined the idea of ever using my motherboard again, but, thankfully, it booted no problem once I re-seated the CPU and installed the new AIO cooler. However (again), the motherboard no longer detected more than two RAM sticks at a time in the slots I had been using up until now - uh oh.

After some more profanity, I found that the only combination that would detect all 16GB of RAM was the two slots closest to the CPU itself. Any other combination was a no go. I have successfully moved my storage and boot items over to this very X58 build, as well as installed my 850W P2 EVGA PSU for when I start overclocking, and I wasn't too sure about the Corsair TX 650W under heavy load with a GTX 760X2 and an overclocked X5650, anyway - or even a stock one.

Sadly, as a result of all this, I am now stuck in single-channel mode, and it has been bugging me all day! I couldn't make any progress with it since lunch time as I had to go into work, but the fact that the slightly-off pin in the socket is not quite right and isn't allowing me to run dual-channel OR run certain configuration of RAM sticks.. it's annoying, you know? The idea of removing the newly installed cooler is putting me off quite a lot as it was a right sod to mount and fasten down, and I am nervous that I may balls up the pin (or pins) even more! I also don't want to lose performance from going from dual-channel to single-channel - which isn't much of a choice right now. I have read that there is very little real world difference or in games between the two modes.. I hope that this is indeed true.

With all this said and done, the temps are way, way better than the placeholder cooler I had installed up until earlier this morning, both at idle and load!

Remember, kids, patience, taking your time and being calm wins the race! For my efforts, I won a headache.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWTEMPX5650.png
Views:	10
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	147457  

Attached Images

UP TOWN GIRL, SHE'S BEING LIVING IN A SOMETHING ...SOMETHING.. SOMETHING.

Last edited by icanhasburgers; 04-12-2018 at 12:00 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post
There's two X58 threads in the Intel - General section. You can get all kinds of help in either of those threads. There's a wealth of information about this platform in both threads.
I looked in there, but the big threads put me off due to how many posts there are to sift though. I would imagine the search function allows one to comb through it better?

Up until now I have been struggling to get my memory running at its rated spec of 11-11-11-28 @ 1600Mhz, 1.5V. The UCLK is supposed to be at least two times the RAM speed (according to the bios information), so I would manually set it to twice the rated RAM speed I wanted the RAM at, which was 1600Mhz. However, the computer would fail to post, let alone boot.

It turns out that leaving the UCLK on Auto works fine. Who would have thought? I've raised the base clock from 133 to 166 and set the maximum multiplier to 22, set the memory to 1600Mhz with the rated timings, and then left everything else on Auto. For now, as a result, I am at 3.6Ghz @ 1.2Volts (CPU Voltage on Auto). Temperatures are good under idle and load, 30*C and 55*C respectively, and my Cinebench score has improved 200 points in multithreaded!

I am now looking to get even more out of the system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CINEX56503.6.png
Views:	31
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	148545  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Avid Memer

Uncore had to be double the RAM frequency with Bloomfield. With Westmere, the requirement was 1.5x. Higher uncore does give better overall system performance. QPI/VTT is the voltage you adjust for uncore.

El Diablo
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon X5670
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth x58
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070
RAM
Mushkin 6x2GB XP3-12800
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203B
Power Supply
Corsair AX750
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R4
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Keyboard
Deck Legend - Fire
Mouse
Razer Lachesis
Mousepad
Audio
Astro A50
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:37 PM
dontworkSundysormedaysoff

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Check this out
Best to leave the cpu in the socket btw. Looks good bud

AIRBOURNE
(10 items)
buellersbox
(17 items)
CPU
i7 7700k
Motherboard
asus maximus viii hero
GPU
msi 1080ti gaming x
RAM
corsair 3200mhz
Hard Drive
samsung 950 nvme
Power Supply
corair rm850x
Cooling
cryorig r1 universal
Case
TT modified
Operating System
win10
Monitor
acer predator x34
CPU
i7 6700k
Motherboard
Asus maximus VIII Hero
GPU
Msi gtx 980ti
RAM
Corsair
Hard Drive
samsung 950 pro m.2
Hard Drive
samsung ssd
Hard Drive
2tb spinner
Optical Drive
blu-ray rw
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
custom EKWB
Case
Phanteks
Operating System
windoze 10
Monitor
Acer X34 gsync
Keyboard
Logi Orion G910
Mouse
Logi G502
Mouse
Logi 440
Audio
Kingston Hyperx cloud II + Edifier R1280T
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 159)
Quote: Originally Posted by icanhasburgers View Post
I looked in there, but the big threads put me off due to how many posts there are to sift though. I would imagine the search function allows one to comb through it better?
Nahh, you just gotta bite the bullet and dig through it. Search will help with something specific but you're sure to find all kind of helpful tips that you might not have been looking for.

How to unlock AMD Official Overclock mode in Catalyst
Easy Automatic Shutdown for Overheating CPU (water pump failure)
XSPC Photon 270 mounting plate for the Corsair 750D
AMD
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1800x
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair 6 Hero
GPU
MSI Airboost Vega 64 8gb
RAM
G. Skill Trident Z 3200
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB
CPU
Intel Xeon X5650 @ 4.6
Motherboard
ASUS P6T
GPU
Powercolor PCS+ 290x
RAM
12gb Corsair Dominator
Hard Drive
1tb WD Black
Hard Drive
250gb Samsung 840 SSD
Power Supply
Cooler Master V850
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm, EK 290X SE, EX240, EX360
Cooling
XSPC Photon 270, Alphacool D5 Acetal HF Top
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Keyboard
Ducky Zero
Mouse
Mionix Naos 7000
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Like a fox!

Rep: 80 (Unique: 61)
Per Intel spec the ram is supposed to run at 1.65v in x58, and if you're using 1.5v ram then it's not actually designed for x58 systems. You can sometimes get 1.5v ram to work in x58 @ 1.5v but that's not how it's "supposed" to work so it's totally "your mileage may vary" and (according to cpu-z at least) it says you're using single channel, that's probably why it works at all, usually in all my past experience overclocking x58 for years I never could get any ram to work in x58 @ triple channel with 1.5v in multiple systems. Maybe it'll work for you. Maybe I was unlucky.

I see you have 2 sticks of ram, you may want to refer to the manual for your board for how to populate the ram correctly for dual channel. At least make sure you're getting the most out of the ram you already have. Triple channel ram kits are really cheap today online if you look around.

You will probably have better luck with a 1.65v-designed kit.

Also your scores in cinebench would improve a good bit with triple channel. The memory performance in x58 is severely crippled with single or dual channel configuration.

I also wanted to share this: https://ark.intel.com/products/47922...-GTs-Intel-QPI

You can go all the way up to 1.350v v-core with that chip per the intel spec and you aren't even exceeding the rated voltage for that chip.

You're using the revised 32nm Westmere core chip there, with the improved memory controller compared to the 1st generation x58 chips based on Bloomfield. The 32nm x58 chips should be good for at least 2400 mhz ram @ 1.65v @ triple channel. I had a 32nm i7-980x that ran @ 2400-triple-1.65v for 5 years daily at one point.

If you can manage cooling don't be afraid to push Intel x58 chips hard, I ran my x58 980x chip @ 1.575v @ 4.8 ghz @ average load temps video converting in the 90's C that way for 5 years. It still worked when I sold it in 2016 to a friend, and he's still using it to this day daily @ 4.8 @ 1.575v just like I had it. He games in guild wars 2 daily on it like that, still works fine, I haven't heard him having any issues yet. These chips can handle way more than most people seem to think they can. Remember, x58 series of chips had soldered IHS, just like sandy bridge. They're not as fragile as modern chips are.

It's nice to see someone making another x58 build in 2018. I always loved x58 myself. The only reason I don't still have one is I moved on to 1080 Ti for my modern-gaming computer, and x58 (no matter how high you overclock it) is a serious bottleneck for any modern card. Need at least 2014 or newer system to pair with a 1080 Ti to get the most out of it.

As long as you're sticking to GTX-760, or even dual 760's, or other older cards you'll be fine.

Last edited by kithylin; 04-13-2018 at 02:46 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:54 PM
Avid Memer

You don't necessarily have to supply RAM with 1.65V. If it can run just fine with 1.5V, run the lower voltage. Worse-case scenario, you have overclocking headroom. The only thing I remember concerning RAM voltage was it has to be within 0.5V of QPI/VTT. The legendary Samsung "wonder" RAM was "designed" to use 1.35V, but people would pump up the voltage and overclock the hell out them.

Reaching a RAM speed of 2400 MHz without an unlocked multiplier will require a 240 base clock. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's highly unlikely to happen. My Sabertooth X58 taps out around 220 base clock. I pushed my RAM up to 2050 MHz at one point, but my system had a noticeable stutter with only 6GB compared to 12GB. That was the fastest I could get it stable.

El Diablo
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon X5670
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth x58
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070
RAM
Mushkin 6x2GB XP3-12800
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203B
Power Supply
Corsair AX750
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R4
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Keyboard
Deck Legend - Fire
Mouse
Razer Lachesis
Mousepad
Audio
Astro A50
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Like a fox!

Rep: 80 (Unique: 61)
Quote: Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post
You don't necessarily have to supply RAM with 1.65V. If it can run just fine with 1.5V, run the lower voltage. Worse-case scenario, you have overclocking headroom. The only thing I remember concerning RAM voltage was it has to be within 0.5V of QPI/VTT. The legendary Samsung "wonder" RAM was "designed" to use 1.35V, but people would pump up the voltage and overclock the hell out them.

Reaching a RAM speed of 2400 MHz without an unlocked multiplier will require a 240 base clock. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's highly unlikely to happen. My Sabertooth X58 taps out around 220 base clock. I pushed my RAM up to 2050 MHz at one point, but my system had a noticeable stutter with only 6GB compared to 12GB. That was the fastest I could get it stable.

I don't know about other boards but my EVGA x58 classified board let me select ram speeds completely independent of the cpu/bus speed and there were dividers all the way up to specifying ram @ 4000 mhz even with the cpu at stock speed. Of course, the memory controller in the chip wouldn't do 4000, but with a board like the x58 sabertooth (another "high end exotic" x58 board) there should be dividers to at least get it to 2400, even with a stock speed chip. Back when I built my x58 system originally 2400 mhz ddr3 was the fastest ram sold, today we have much higher, I don't know if even a 32nm x58 xeon could do much more than 2400 though.

Last edited by kithylin; 04-13-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you for the input, Kithylin!

If I could run it in dual-channel, I certainly would! However, due to a slightly-off pin in the CPU socket (my fault) as mentioned in a previous post, I won't be running that anytime soon, and I have no plans to get it put right to the point where it will then run in dual-channel mode. For now, me and it are perfectly happy with 1.5V @ 1600Mhz, and if that's in single-channel mode, then I can live with that. I won't be spending anymore money on this build, and 16GB is more than enough for me!

I'll push the RAM higher soon and see where it takes me. At this very moment it is at 1460Mhz, as I now have the CPU at 4Ghz and dropped the RAM slightly below spec just to test stability on the CPU itself. So far so good. More results of this to come soon.

Below are a few pictures I recently took. Cable management is 99% done. It just needs some cable ties and the routing of the AIO pump 3-pin cable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1311.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	7.44 MB
ID:	148745  

Name:	DSCF1313.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	7.40 MB
ID:	148753  

Name:	DSCF1315.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	6.65 MB
ID:	148761  

Last edited by icanhasburgers; 04-13-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Tags
Budget , budget build , Nvidia , x58 , xeon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in