Ryzen based HexGear R40 Black n White with a Hint of blue - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Ryzen based HexGear R40 Black n White with a Hint of blue

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Ryzen based HexGear R40 Black n White with a Hint of blue

Welcome to my first build log! I got my hands on a Hexgear R40 and i had to do a build log for it. This is going to be a project that may take 3-5 months to complete since i am in college full time at the moment, but i wanted to share my journey with it. I have always wanted to work in one of these cases and i have finally got my chance. The system will not be that have the highest end parts but there will be a nice loop inside. Aesthetics will be my primary focus. Below is the hardware i will be using, some parts are not yet set in stone and subject to change. Watercooling parts list shall come a bit later. Any suggestions will be appreciated! There will also be picture shared on my IG: @lytlereece

System specs

Motherboard- MSI B350M Mortar Arctic

CPU- Ryzen 1700 (Possibly 2700)

GPU- EVGA GTX 970 SSC (Using the 970 because i have it on hand, working on finding a 1070)

RAM- 16-32gb Currently deciding between Teamgroup white Delta RGB or white RGB Corsair sticks

Power Supply- Corsair RM750x White Edition

SSD- 250gb Samsung 860 EVO SSD

HDD- 1 TB WD Blue

Case- The Glorious Hexgear R40 White/Black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180417_185456_190.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	176057  

Last edited by mashpoa; 05-04-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Missing word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 12)
Well I will be interested in this. Hexgear R40 is a great little case. Have fun with it! Subbed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:35 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by mashpoa View Post
Welcome to my first build log! I got my hands on a Hexgear R40 and i had to do a build log for it. This is going to be a project that may take 3-5 months to complete since i am in college full time at the moment, but i wanted to share my journey with it. I have always wanted to work in one of these cases and i have finally got my chance. The system will not be that have the highest end parts but there will be a nice loop inside. Aesthetics will be my primary focus. Below is the hardware i will be using, some parts are not yet set in stone and subject to change. Watercooling parts list shall come a bit later. Any suggestions will be appreciated! There will also be picture shared on my IG: @lytlereece

System specs

Motherboard- MSI B350M Mortar Arctic

CPU- Ryzen 1700 (Possibly 2700)

GPU- EVGA GTX 970 SSC (Using the 970 because i have it on hand, working on finding a 1070)

RAM- 16-32gb Currently deciding between Teamgroup white Delta RGB or white RGB Corsair sticks

Power Supply- Corsair RM750x White Edition

SSD- 250gb Samsung 860 EVO SSD

HDD- 1 TB WD Blue

Case- The Glorious Hexgear R40 White/Black
If you dont mind me asking, where did you get this case?

I have one, that has been sitting for over a year. Went to go hit up the site, and it seems they are out of business? I was debating selling it, I even posted it up on a facebook group then I seen this. Now I'm not so sure I want to lol. Did you get it from Hexgear? I know PPCs had them for awhile but they have removed all traces of Hexgear . I thought Id come here, and see if there is some info. Nothing comes up in the search but this post (which is odd, I made a few Hexgear posts long ago, and threads.)

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 05-13-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by SimonOcean View Post
Well I will be interested in this. Hexgear R40 is a great little case. Have fun with it! Subbed.
Thanks man! I do love the case, i have been looking to build in one for a long time and finally have the chance, the parts are coming in slow but it will be worth the wait for sure
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
If you dont mind me asking, where did you get this case?

I have one, that has been sitting for over a year. Went to go hit up the site, and it seems they are out of business? I was debating selling it, I even posted it up on a facebook group then I seen this. Now I'm not so sure I want to lol. Did you get it from Hexgear? I know PPCs had them for awhile but they have removed all traces of Hexgear . I thought Id come here, and see if there is some info. Nothing comes up in the search but this post (which is odd, I made a few Hexgear posts long ago, and threads.)
I received this case from my brother since he is going out of the country for a while and he had no use for it. I don't blame you for nto wanting to get rid of it, they are super hard to come by. I have heard that they closed shop but i have not seen anything from them directly about it. I saw someone on youtube the other day that received one directly from them which gave my the impression they are still in business?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hex Gear is a very small business. It is owned by two guys: Hans Peder Sahl or p0Pe, who is one of the world's best PC modders / custom PC builders. I think he has a "day job" besides PC modding and designing PC cases. He is the guy that mostly did the design work on the R40 and R80. The other owner is Nate George. Nate runs a PC modding business called E22 which supplies cable mods, various fittings and so on...

p0Pe:
http://<br /> https://www.google.co...66q2ydS-<br />

http://<br /> Nate:<br /> http://w...bout-us/<br />

E22 is still very much in business. All of the Hex Gear stuff looks to be "out of stock". I imagine they get the parts made for them in batches, so once stock goes they can't easily knock out a new part like you can with a bigger business like Caselabs. I guess that is a risk with a business like Hex Gear if you need spare parts. I would keep your R40 if I were you: it is a great design and should be in demand. Just be careful not to mess up in case you have problems finding spare parts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Hex Gear is a very small business. It is owned by two guys: Hans Peder Sahl or p0Pe, who is one of the world's best PC modders / custom PC builders. I think he has a "day job" besides PC modding and designing PC cases. He is the guy that mostly did the design work on the R40 and R80. The other owner is Nate George. Nate runs a PC modding business called E22 which supplies cable mods, various fittings and so on...

p0Pe:
http://<br /> https://www.google.co...66q2ydS-<br />

http://<br /> Nate:<br /> http://w...bout-us/<br />

E22 is still very much in business. All of the Hex Gear stuff looks to be "out of stock". I imagine they get the parts made for them in batches, so once stock goes they can't easily knock out a new part like you can with a bigger business like Caselabs. I guess that is a risk with a business like Hex Gear if you need spare parts. I would keep your R40 if I were you: it is a great design and should be in demand. Just be careful not to mess up in case you have problems finding spare parts.
Well its not that they are sold out, it took me forever to get it lol so i know the small business stuff.

Its that, they are out of stock with everything and their facebook has had no activity since march 2017, they appear to have shut down the Hexgear stuff, likely due to lack of sales, and not enough profit when they did make a sale.

I would keep it, its just I am really not an MATX guy, and I thought I would try to be for the Hexgear, as I love the case. However I cant find a baord I like, the X99 options suck, and X299 MATX is nonexistent. I use E series exclusively so that puts a damper on my plan.

If Id of waited and grabbed an R80, I would have already built it .

Plus I love my bench, I love exotic cases, and currently use an Modded (Unfinished) Little Devil PC04 Test bench, I change parts alot, and help friends with there stuff and finishing the bench is just the preferable option for me. I tried the showroom Acrylic tube build with the 900d way back, I just fiddle too much lol. Form < Function.

Quote:

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 05-23-2018 at 08:48 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Haaa!

I would keep it, its just I am really not an MATX guy, and I thought I would try to be for the Hexgear, as I love the case. However I cant find a baord I like, the X99 options suck, and X299 MATX is nonexistent. I use E series exclusively so that puts a damper on my plan.
I've been running an mATX X99 system myself. I figured that with the CPU that I had chosen, the 5820K, 28-lanes were available therefore mATX was going to be the optimal form factor to max out the CPU... 16+8+4. The motherboard search came down to two really that I liked: the Asus X99-M WS and the EVGA X99 Micro2. Both are good boards really. The Asus has WiFi, but the disadvantage that the M.2 slot goes through the PCH rather than direct to CPU lanes, therefore it is gimped speed. The EVGA does not have that restriction. Do you not like either of them?

Otherwise did you consider X399 mATX? This looks like a sweet board!
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/X2k...d-x399m-taichi
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Haaa!

I've been running an mATX X99 system myself. I figured that with the CPU that I had chosen, the 5820K, 28-lanes were available therefore mATX was going to be the optimal form factor to max out the CPU... 16+8+4. The motherboard search came down to two really that I liked: the Asus X99-M WS and the EVGA X99 Micro2. Both are good boards really. The Asus has WiFi, but the disadvantage that the M.2 slot goes through the PCH rather than direct to CPU lanes, therefore it is gimped speed. The EVGA does not have that restriction. Do you not like either of them?

Otherwise did you consider X399 mATX? This looks like a sweet board!
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/X2k...d-x399m-taichi
I am not a AMD guy, as far as CPUs I do use AMD GPUs time to time, I benched for them in a few of the Fanboy wars here on OCN, I also benched for NV in those too though.

I actually own a EVGA Micro 2, I hate it. So I have 2 rigs, one in the living room and 1 in the back room.

The living room one is currently the M2, and the M.2 issues, and other issues I have aside, my CPU is .2mhz slower on the Evga then on my RVE in the other room at the same voltage. Also, I can't not get past that clock speed at all on the Evga.

It runs 4.4, with 1.37vs (horrible) on the evga the same chip runs at 4.6 with that voltage on my RVE, and I can push it to 4.7 with 1.39 (didn't test much but ya) the EVGA won't even boot with anything more than 4.4, no matter how much voltage.

I'm not saying the Evga is a bad board, it just doesn't have the same luxury's as full size boards. My CPU runs at 4.3 on the EVGA, because I don't want to ruin my chip for 4.4 that's absurd. So I'm getting a second RVE, or maybe a EVGA Classy.

I didn't have an issue with the M.2 stuff at first either, now I do, I want to upgrade my drive, so my Intel 750 will go into one of my servers, and I litterally can't go Samsung as the Evga doesn't allow it with a ram overclock. I also can't go SLI, due to the M.2 limitations.

There is simply too many limitations on MATX for me. I know alot of people like MATX, but I feel like it's too big to be a "Small build" and too small to be useful as a large build. I feel like that is why board makers are starting to down play MATX.

Quote:

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

All fair comments. But I think you were unlucky with your Micro2's overclocking. My Micro2 gets my 5820K to 4.5 GHz with only 1.250 Vcore! It will do 4.6 GHz but then I run into cooling problems (I am on custom water loop, but limited to 360 and 240 radiators, plus I like to be conservative on noise and temperatures).

The ASRock X399M Taichi I mentioned has the same VRM solution as its big brothers so you are giving up nothing in terms of overclocking ability or access to PCIe3x4 M.2 drives either. But if you don't want to go AMD, I entirely understand.

It does seem as if - in the last few years - the market has been polarising between (E)ATX and mITX. So I am sure you are not alone in your observations.

@mashpoa Sorry we hijacked your thread. Keep us posted if you make any progress on your build. Did you see p0Pe's latest awesome build? Benchy Mc Bench Face lol!
https://www.overclock.net/forum/362-s...-page-2-a.html

Check it out. He's the guy that designed your case.

Tags
hex-gear , Watercooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in