[Build Log] Enthoo Elite | Direct Die 7980XE | ROG Matrix SLI | MDPC-X | Custom loop 2100x140 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Enthoo Elite | Direct Die 7980XE | ROG Matrix SLI | MDPC-X | Custom loop 2100x140

post #1 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
WC & OC Enthusiast

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
[Build Log] Enthoo Elite | Direct Die 7980XE | ROG Matrix SLI | MDPC-X | Custom loop 2100x140

Hello everyone,

Never done a build log before and to be honest I have never spent much time on OCN.
That said I have showed a previous version of this build around and several people asked if I had done a Build log. I was very disappointed to give a negative answer.
Now that I am redoing everything, I tell myself that's the opportunity to fix that mistake!
I have no clue on how to do this but I'll do my best =)

Core specs :

CPU : Golden Intel core I9 7980XE from silicon lottery 4.5GHz @1.125V aiming for 5GHz+
Motherboard : ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU : ROG Matrix RTX 2080 Ti x2
DDR4 : 8GB G. Skill Trident Z RGB 4266 CL19 x4
Storage : 2TB SATA SSD from Micron and waiting for m.2 905p 760GB to come out
PSU : EVGA Supernova 1600 P2
Wires and cable sleeving : MDPC-X
Case : Phanteks Enthoo Elite

Watercooling components :

Hardwarelabs Black Ice Nemesis 560 GTS
Hardwarelabs Black Ice Nemesis 420 GTX x2
Hardwarelabs Black Ice Nemesis 420 GTS
Hardwarelabs Black Ice Nemesis 280 GTS
EK Vardar 140ER EVO x22
Dual D5 Pump
EK Res X3 RGB x2
EK PETG Tubing 12/10mm
EK-Vector Strix RTX 2080 Ti RGB - Nickel + Plexi x2
For the CPU It will be the new EK-Supremacy Edge Nickel in Direct die cooling using der8auer's Direct Die Frame

The idea :

The philosophy behind this build is to cram as much cooling as possible in Phanteks' Enthoo Elite while keeping things as aesthetic and clean as I can.
I do not like things to look empty and this case is HUGE.
The theme is a mix of black and the Anthracite Grey of the case with a blood red accent.
This build is not practical, I wouldn't know what to do with so much processing power, this is how I have fun and I am just happy to share this passion =)

A first version of this build has been started but never completed. Only ran a few days to realize the CPU was faulty end then had to take everything out. Back then I had ordered a binned chip from caseking and things turned badly and weeks (months) have been wasted... So I have decided to redo everything from scratch and bring new ideas along.

I have a lot more to write as I have already started the build. It's 8 AM and after a night working on it I am dead tired so I'll post tomorrow
Anyway thank you for reading and who knows... maybe I caught your curiosity =)

Summary

0 - Intro
1 - The original plan
2 - A Beast of a case
3 - Preparing the rads
4 - Modding the case to fit the 560 GTS on front
6 - Positioning the mid 420 GTX
7 - The bottom pass-through
8 - Tubing the bottom chamber (part 1)
9 - Tubing the bottom chamber (part 2)
10 - The EK Supremacy Edge
11 - Watercool Heatkiller VRM waterblock and Fujipoly pads
12 - Delidding the Silicon Lottery Golden 7980XE
13 - Reversing the fans, redoing the tubes
14 - Installing the dual pump
15 - Tubing the bottom chamber (part 3)
16 - Planning the back tubing
XX - Not that kind of leak
17 - Mounting the CPU with the Der8auer's Direct Die Frame
18 - Modding the CPU block
19 - Mounting the CPU block
20 - GPU blocks, backplates, Fujipoly and Conductonaut
21 - The top pass-through
22 - Mounting the top fans and Halos Lux
23 - Drilling and mounting the side bracket and its SSD covers
24 - Installing the remaining fans
25 - Cleaning the case and installing the motherboard
26 - Custom sleeving the pumps (part 1)
27 - Custom sleeving the pumps (part 2)
28 - Bending the tubes for the motherboard (part 1)
29 - Custom sleeving the pumps (part 3)
30 - Fixing the IO side of the case
31 - Modding the PSU (part1)
32 - Making the EPS cables (part1)
33 - Modding the PSU (part2)
34 - Modding the PSU (part3)
35 - Custom sleeving the front audio cable
36 - Lighting the bottom chamber
37 - Custom sleeving the Halos Lux
38 - Custom sleeving the EK Vardars
39 - Custom sleeving the front panel wires
40 - Making the EZ_PLUG cable (part1)
41 - Wiring the fans and pumps (part1)
42 - Cabling the top LED Strip
43 - Installing the mid LED strip
44 - Painting the USB 3 cables
46 - Wiring the top Halos Lux and case strips
47 - Wiring the front Halos Lux
48 - Wiring the top and bottom Halos Lux
49 - Wiring the fans and pumps (part2)
50 - Installing the ROG Aura Terminal
51 - Wiring the fans and pumps (part3)
52 - Wiring the Phanteks Digital RGB Controllers
53 - Modding the case power cable
54 - Making the EZ_PLUG cable (part2)
55 - Installing and cabling the SSDs (part1)
56 - Making the EPS cables (part2)
57 - Mounting the reservoirs
58 - Tubing the back of the case

Next steps

Custom MDPC-X Sleeving
Mounting the reservoirs
Tubing the main chamber

[Build log] Enthoo Elite | Direct Die Cooled Silicon Lottery 7980XE | 1080 Ti SLI | MDPC-X Sleeving | 2100x140 watercooling loop
Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Intel Core I9-7980XE @5GHz
Asus ROG Matrix 2080 Ti SLI
Phanteks Enthoo Elite

Last edited by Deathscythes; 05-08-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Looking forward to some pictures!
post #3 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
WC & OC Enthusiast

The original plan :

Alright! As I have stated before this is a version two of a previous build so I'll pick a couple of elements from the initial one.
Okay so before buying anything I planned.
Went on the Enthoo Elite product page, picked the side view of the case and then spent a few hours on the Hardwarelabs Website to check the dimensions of each rad and from that made a kinda accurate (I did count the pixels) schematic of the loop on paint.net.

The red zones represents the radiators, the green ones the fans. The Rampage VI Extreme is the big blue rectangle and the light blue rectangles within this area respectively represent the CPU block and the Terminal connecting the GPUs.
The res is the blue rectangle next to the motherboard and the dual D5 pump is the yellow rectangle in the bottom right corner.

This plan won't be followed to the letter however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	186289  

[Build log] Enthoo Elite | Direct Die Cooled Silicon Lottery 7980XE | 1080 Ti SLI | MDPC-X Sleeving | 2100x140 watercooling loop
Phanteks Enthoo Elite

Last edited by Deathscythes; 06-29-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
WC & OC Enthusiast

A beast of a case :

Okay, so for those who don't know the Enthoo Elite is the flagship of Phanteks' case lineup. It's a $900 monstrosity that comes in a big a** protection case.
To give you an idea I weigh 52KG. The package weighs 50Kg and I have to take this thing from work to my place on the second floor of a building in Bordeaux, France.

Someone helped me, but we had to open the top of his Peugeot 307CC and lift the box in to bring the thing back home.

I warn you back then I had a super bad phone so the quality is really bad. But I promise this is only for this one post. The next ones are taken with a Galaxy S7 that takes really good pics =)

You see that paper on the case? well you could think that paper is a post-it note... well it's an A4 format sheet xD
Anyway the thing is finally in my place, and here starts a long hatred relationship with that box today still takes all the place ><

Alone, I took the thing out of the box. I totally didn't follow phantek's recommendation, I placed the box vertically so that it's hatch (not sure it's the right word) would open like a door and slowly slided the case out on its feet.

After I contemplated what IMO is Phanteks' masterpiece, I told myself there is NO WAY I would remove that bracket and the gorgeous brushed aluminum SSD covers. On the moment I could only tell myself no motherboard would fit better than the Rampage VI Extreme and its unique grey mirror finish. So lets forget about my schematic I have the case in hand so I can plan without a schematic now=)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	case.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	186337  

Name:	caseopen.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	186345  

Name:	Elite1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	186353  

Name:	elite2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	186361  

Phanteks Enthoo Elite

Last edited by Deathscythes; 06-29-2018 at 12:25 PM.
post #5 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
WC & OC Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by 1nfinit0 View Post
Looking forward to some pictures!
Thanks for the comment, man. Recent pictures are coming today =)

Phanteks Enthoo Elite
post #6 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
WC & OC Enthusiast

Preparing the rads :

So I have asked around and everyone told me the exact same thing : Hardwarelabs radiators are spotless clean out of the box.
Well I guess someone screwed up :O Weird thing though all those rads were not purchased at the same places.

I have never seen anything like that before.
Here started a 3 days rad cleaning session. I have first poured boiling distilled water in the 420 GTS. After three times dirt kept coming out. I had 5 rads to clean this was taking way too much time and I was wasting distilled water - resource that is not easy to come by around here. I got in contact with Hardwarelabs and recommended me to simply plug them to tap water which I did after ordering some kind of adapter for garden hose.

It sure improved things but it's wasn't clean enough to my liking so gave Primochill Sysreboot a try. I filled the 5 radiators with it and let it rest for 24 hours before flushing.
Still not 100% clean for the thicker GTX rads so I repeated the tap water technique before flushing 3 times with distilled and then I was satisfied.
As I am going to use the EK Cryofuel blood red fluid - instead of the 5 bottles of VUE I wasted 240 euros on - and that I am not familiar at all with it I really don't want to take any chance.
My previous loops were filled with Mayhems X1 fluid additive or EK's Clear EVO coolant.

Anyway, here is my radiator army finally ready! I am so ready for more troubles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rad dirt.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	186393  

Name:	rad dirt2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	186401  

Name:	rads.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	186409  

Phanteks Enthoo Elite

Last edited by Deathscythes; 06-29-2018 at 12:30 PM.
post #7 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
WC & OC Enthusiast

Modding the case to fit the 560 GTS on front :

I don't believe Hardwarelabs is as notorious as other watercooling manufacturer so let me tell you one thing about their rads beside the fact that they perform extremely well : They are large. Larger than most rads. Check the first and notice the distance there is between the screw holes and the edge of the rad. The rad is if I recall correctly 154mm wide.

So when Phanteks shows you a video demonstrating the possibilities their Enthoo Elite brings to the table and that it features a 560 radiator mounted on front, that doesn't mean your Hardwarelabs Black Ice Nemesis 560 GTS will fit. It really doesn't...

So I grabbed my 560 GTS, gently slided it... untill something blocked :'(
Who would have guessed that a 154mm rad wouldn't fit in a 144mm gap?

I started panicking... I really wanted to fit this rad on front and this was about to screw up...
In case you didn't figure it out already, I am NOT a handy guy. I had never modded a case before I had never even drilled a hole before. I am a 25 years old C# developer and all I know is coding lol

Of course like any good NOT handy guy i would think, I barely have any tools and the few I have are all related to pc building.
I started watching modding tutorials, simple stuff such as how to cut a PC case that's how I discovered the word "Dremel" (for real).
Got the 3000 rotary tool with a bunch of circular blades (probably not the right word, sorry).

I don't know about you but modding a case freaks me out.
And you know what freaks me out more? Modding a case I paid 900 euros for and it being my first mod.
But I have no choice here, I want all my rads to be the same, I want them to be hardwarelabs and I want a 560 on front.
So I grabbed the bull by its horns and....
I called my father xD

After having spent an afternoon fearing he would cut himself and watching smoke getting out of my precious case the result was here. I love this man and the fact he helps me the way he does <3
It's probably not the cleanest cut you'll have ever seen but it did the job and it was pretty hard to cut so close to the edge.
While this can't be an excuse the fact is you can't see it unless you plunge your head inside the case.

Once the rad would fit it still wasn't enough because It would fit only by moving it 4mm to the left when looking from the front.
fortunately, since the front is also meant to host 120mm radiators, I could use those holes for the right side.
So all I had to do was piercing a few holes in order to screw the left side of the rad.

After a bunch of headaches cutting (more like watching someone cut), piercing and a bit of filing, my rad was finally compatible with the front mount!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	raddetail.jpg
Views:	2853
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	186529  

Name:	mod560.jpg
Views:	2866
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	186545  

Name:	560installed.jpg
Views:	2826
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	186553  

Phanteks Enthoo Elite

Last edited by Deathscythes; 06-29-2018 at 12:34 PM.
post #8 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
WC & OC Enthusiast

Lighting things up a bit :

As witness the 22 fans used in this build, I like EK Vardars. That said they don't have any kind of lighting.
But no worries! Phanteks got me covered with the Halos Lux Fan Frames =)
If you are not familiar with those as they are fairly recent these are 6mm thick aluminum fan frames with an RGB ring that light the blades of the fans you put them on.
Back in January I had bought ten of these in the only color available at the time : black.

I have recently found out that Phanteks now has them in Aluminum color and addressable as well!
Back then when I bought their first version I kinda regretted they didn't have them in grey like featured on their product page.
Based on that only I absolutely can't resist getting them and the thing is I was sure they would fit the Anthracite grey of my enthoo elite.
So screw it! Let's do this!

You sure as hell pay a hefty price for those... 22 euros a piece and I needed 10... but I have to admit they look super premium. Loved them in black and I love them even more in grey!
Turned out they don't just fit my case. It's the exact same color. I am super happy about that!

The only scenario in which I jump my PSU is to fill a loop and do some leak testing...
Well It also works to try out the Phanteks RGB starter kit

Ah by the way notice the reservoir holders remaining from the former build, that's going away and that's also the beginning of a huge struggle to get new SSD cover plates. But I keep that for later.

Nothing too super concrete so far I know but I am getting there. If you have any remark about the way I am doing this if I go too much in the details or what please let me know =)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11 - Halosluxpackage.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	186681  

Name:	13 - Haloslux1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	186689  

Name:	14 - Haloslux2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	186697  

Name:	15 - Haloslux3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	186705  

Phanteks Enthoo Elite

Last edited by Deathscythes; 08-26-2018 at 04:40 PM.
post #9 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 31)
1080Ti SLI??? Psssssssst Titan V's or bust pal. xD

post #10 of 235 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
WC & OC Enthusiast

Positionning the mid 420 GTX :

In my previous version (first pic), I had pushed all the horizontal rads to the left trying to align them all with the bottom rads that necessarily have to be on the left to fit the 560 on front.
I told myself it would look better if the Midplate 420 GTX rad was aligned with the top rad and both centered between the back of the case and the front 560.

So I screwed the 560 rad back in with a with three vardars and their Halos lux on top to get a precise idea of how it would look like in different positions.
That's sounds silly like that but that took me forever to make a decision. One of the trickiest questions was what to center and with what.
Do I center the rad? Do I center the fans on the rad? do I center with the actual back of the case or the edge of the side panel (I don't know how to say) or the motherboard ?
Do I place the ports on the left or on the right ?

After a long afternoon placing elements and taking pictures I have deliberated and chose to center the fans between the edge of the side panel and the front 560 rad and to put the ports on the left side this time to align with the top rad.

Then I tried placing my reservoirs holding them. Sadly, for the pic I had to put them on the fans

I hope these few pics will start giving a better idea of where all of this is going =)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16 - OldRadSetup.jpg
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	186825  

Name:	17 - PlacingHalos.jpg
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	186833  

Name:	18 - CenteringRad1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	186841  

Name:	19 - centeringrad2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	186849  

Name:	20 - placingRes.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	186857  

Name:	21 - CenteredRadlit.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	186865  

Phanteks Enthoo Elite

Last edited by Deathscythes; 06-29-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Tags
7980xe , build log , enthoo elite , frankenstein's monster , Mod , trigger warning , Water Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in