[Build log] Muffler Bearings - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build log] Muffler Bearings

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Still here...

Rep: 147 (Unique: 66)
[Build log] Muffler Bearings

This build itself refers to the standalone cooling tower/control panel portion of what I've called The Manhattan Project, which is a combination of this cooling tower/control panel, a multi-purpose test bench, and Nights in White Satin (a planned, white CaseLabs SMA8 build which can be hooked up to the cooling tower/control panel combo). I had considered other names for this build including The Black Hole, Quantum Singularity, The Schwarzschild Effect, etc., simply because the build gravitates toward sucking everything in while not letting anything escape (including me).

Simply stated, it sucks

Stay tuned for more...

Click image for larger version

Name:	mb2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	193345
dedicated to my dad, hewasbenco.

on the road to knowhere, having jaba at someplace;
pondering quantum physics through the lint in someone's bellybutton.

Last edited by iamjanco; 08-03-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Still here...

Reserved for additional information associated with the build.

Name:	fan_test_1b.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	924.8 KB
ID:	193361

Last edited by iamjanco; 05-18-2018 at 03:19 PM.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Still here...

Why Muffler Bearings? (Reserved)

...because I was going around in circles () for quite some time now and finally decided what I really want to do. That's not really why though, just a simple statement of fact. While you're waiting for the real reason why, I will share an equation with you: C = 2ϖr, the circumference of a circle.

Name:	test-bench-with-mo-ra3a.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	193353

Added: July 7. 2018:

Now for some clarification (this portion of the build log is a work in progress):

Age-wise, I am older guy, but not the oldest on OCN. I spent 20 years in the U.S. Air Force as a technician, during which my my job title went from Search & Weather Radar/Airborne Navigation Systems, to Communications & Navigation Systems, to Jack of All Trades and Master of Some. During that time, I worked both the flightline and in-shop, finely honing what was then state of the art equipment, as well as some of the most ancient tube (Valve, if you will; you know, as in Half Life) based relics. I've worked on (in order of timeline) C141s, C130s, C124s (old shaky), KC-135s, F4Cs, F4Es, F101s, A10s, and RF4Es and their respective kits, troubleshooting and repairing those systems and their LRUs (line replaceable units) both onboard and in the shop on the bench, all over the western world, but mostly in Europe (Spain, Holland, the UK, Germany, Turkey and Italy).

After I retired from the military in 1992, I picked up some extra tricks (far more than I ever did in the military) working for a small, private company staffed by what I can only call geniuses, which specialized in developing and manufacturing custom multiprocessor-platforms geared toward testing air- and ship-borne electronic warfare control system receivers. They called me a systems integration tech/field service engineer, and I eventually added "trainer" to that hat.

That training was some of the toughest work I ever did because it was geared toward not only how to keep those systems up and running, but also how to develop and implement effective EW software-based scenarios (gamers probably would have loved that). My mix of students being international and in places as far off as Ankara, Turkey, I of course came across all kinds whose understanding of what they were doing ranged from great, to the rather mediocre, to the downright piss poor (pardon my French); hence, the challenge, and also the reason why I would spend many a class night on the phone back to the states debugging scenarios on the fly. Creating them was tough noogies.

Anyway, I eventually moved into technical writing, as I became a father who wanted to be a father, and just couldn't afford to continue "seeing the world."

There's more to my bio of course, buy let's leave it at that for now.

Now for Muffler Bearings...

First, see this. You don't have to read everything at that link, but whatever you do read should give you an inkling of what muffler bearings are all about. My goal is to create a platform I can use to test just about anything associated with consumer grade pcs and their associated components with, and help breach the gap between "I don't have a clue about what I'm doing" and "oh, I see now, thumbs up" , at least for those who feel faced with such.

Anyway, I'll leave it there for now, as my order of elbow grease has arrived and it's time to get really busy on the build itself.

Edited:

The prototype control panel mounted:

Name:	control-panel-mounted.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	607.2 KB
ID:	207184

Last edited by iamjanco; 08-03-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Still here...

Master control panel mounted for cooling; more 80/20 aluminum ordered to redo mounts for pumps; cable combs sitting at post office, will pick up tomorrow and commence wiring. Switches are a bit off (alignment) and will need to readjust, also need to make one new bracket for AQ6; Panel sanded to 1000grit wet, and polished using diamond polishing compound to more or less align with the overall look of the setup. There are no plans to add any fancy RGB lighting, though there are future plans to review/test RGB/LED components (the image display has been borked by the wonderfully skilled dev team at VS):

Name:	control-panel-mounted.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	607.2 KB
ID:	250982

As for the master control panel just mentioned, all power is switched/fused as follows:

all toggle switches are Carling Technologies 2FC54-78 (sealed):
rated to 15A 277VAC,
suitable for 12/24DC (3/4 HP),
dielectric strength 1000V - live to dead metal parts,
mechanical life of 100,000 cycles,
electrical life of 50,000 cycles - maintained and 25,000 cycles - momentary.

the two lower switches are for 12VDC in (two separate input rails);
eight upper switches, one for each of the four D5 pumps, one for each set of nine fans (two sets currently in use as push, two switches held in reserve for two sets of nine fans as pull);
each switched output is fused at 10 amps.

There are no plans at this time to add a capacitive filter network to the control circuit to flatten the line voltages; though I'm seriously considering adding something to each of the switches to limit any arcing during switching, to prolong the life of the switch contacts. The former may change once I get everything hooked up and start poking around with the oscope; the latter, I'll play by ear.

The Aquaero and PowerAdjusts will be fed by separate sources, directly from the main PSU.

Plans include using hard tube (Bitspower 16mm) for the MO-RA3 section of cooling (the radiator/reservoir/pump framework); EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 19,4/12,5mm for the QD section of tubing; and a mix of hard and soft tubing for the bench platform. As for custom wiring, where applicable, teflon coated silver plated copper wire will be used (on hand) sheathed by Ensourced paracord (on hand). I'll change all the wires on the fans to that as well.

Last edited by iamjanco; 02-01-2019 at 12:49 PM.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 900 (Unique: 504)
That's... I don't quite know exactly what that is, but it looks set to conquer something.

Subbed.

And of course, worth saying one more time, very nice switches. They'll subdue any pesky RGB LEDs that might appear on the block.

post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Still here...

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
That's... I don't quite know exactly what that is, but it looks set to conquer something.

Subbed.

And of course, worth saying one more time, very nice switches. They'll subdue any pesky RGB LEDs that might appear on the block.
Thanks, the price was right for the switches and I chose them mostly because of the 3/4 HP spec. I needed switches that could stand up to a 12VDC inductive load under test (e.g., the fans and D5 pumps) for the longer term.

As to what you asked in the RGB thread about the fuses, yes, they're on the same side as the switches and will be wired to the output sides of them to protect both the switches and the input source. They should be okay given any typical and expected inrush current, including the 2 ea. banks of nine fans, which will be consolidated on the rear of the control panel using Splitty9s.

It'll be a dual loop setup, using two MO-RA3 420 rads, framed in 80/20 Series 30 3060 extrusion, connected to the main platform using using QD3s, which helps simplify the process of swapping components in and out. The test bench itself is made from 20 Series 20/20 extrusion and is big/flexible enough to mount up to HPTX motherboards.

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Case ***der

Rep: 452 (Unique: 305)
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Still here...

On the control panel: redid the brackets for the Aquaero and made a faceplate for the eight switches on the front, and a shim to even them out for the back; started wiring in the switches. Teflon coated silver plated copper wires (16awg @ 2.1mm total diameter) are soldered to the switch terminals, and I'll finish training them once I'm done with the hookup, then set them on the back using 3M DP-190 in a few places. I'll touch up the finish before I remount the control panel to the MO-RA3 frame (note to E, attachments are fubar, not sure if it's been reported already or not, but it's been like that for a while @ENTERPRISE ):

(Edited: Images deleted because uploads are borked).

Now, if I could only get my hands on some plutonium...

...take that back, I like my hands the way they are.

Added edit: just noted that the attachment issue has been confirmed in Bugs and Technical Issues.

Another edit: strike what's above, I don't like the look, at least not on the control panel itself. I've decided to go old school instead. It'll look cleaner in the end.

Last edited by iamjanco; 07-05-2018 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Added note about attachments issue.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Still here...

Started wiring properly, noted the cables on the bottom pumps are too short, will replace them with the PTFE wire. While 16AWG, it's got a smaller overall diameter (2.1mm), so I tested it using the Ensourced paracord (which I love, btw, except for the black, as I've been finding the internal strands broken here and there while sleeving using it; Otherwise, it works well).

Noted a need to refix the internal caps on all four pumps as the rtv used to hold them in place wasn't doing so. Ordered some Dow Corning 732 for the purpose.

Also replaced the pump platforms with 80/20 plates, drilled and mounted to align the output of the reservoirs with the inputs of the pumps.

Lastly, this post, began the finish work on the back of the control panel. Tried Rustoleum Satin Black (after undercoating), but wasn't happy with results. Wet sanded using 400 grit, will apply multiple coats of black primer instead, then clear coat, wet sanding between steps.

Uploads are still borked...

Last edited by iamjanco; 07-06-2018 at 11:51 AM.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Still here...

Latest iteration of the control panel follows:

Name:	8020-control-panel-platev5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	207130

It's still a WIP, but is coming along nicely and based on the prototype I shared earlier (which follows).

Name:	panel-front-switch-faceplate.1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	207132

I also checked the price on the water jetting cutting for the new panel. Once I'm done adding a few more things like a few extra open bay slots and a hole for a panel mounted monitor, it'll probably come to about $150 or so with low taper cutting and bead blasting. As for scale, that's two stacked MO_RA3 420s in the image I linked. The panel itself is 768mm tall.

Last edited by iamjanco; 07-21-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in