[Build Log] "Wheatley" - Lian-Li V3000, Rampage VI Apex, 9940X, TridentZ, Heatkiller, HardwareLabs, EKWB, etc - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] "Wheatley" - Lian-Li V3000, Rampage VI Apex, 9940X, TridentZ, Heatkiller, HardwareLabs, EKWB, etc

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
[Build Log] "Wheatley" - Lian-Li V3000, Rampage VI Apex, 9940X, TridentZ, Heatkiller, HardwareLabs, EKWB, etc

Meet "Wheatley".

Table of Contents
- INTRO [06/04]
- UPDATE #1 [06/07]
- UPDATE #2 [12/30]

SPECS
===========

[CASE] Lian-Li V3000
[MOBO] Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex
[CPU] Intel i9-9940X (@ 4.7GHz, 1.28V)
[RAM] 64GB (4x16GB) TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 (@ 3800CL16, 1.42V)
[GPU] Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER + XFX Vega 56 + Zotac GT1030
[PSU] Corsair AX1200i
[STORAGE] WD Black 1TB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Intel 960p M.2 NVMe 256GB, Samsung 860 EVO SSD 4TB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB

WATERCOOLING
=================

[CPU BLOCK] EKWB ROG VI Monoblock
[GPU BLOCK] TBD (for 2070S)
[GPU BLOCK] Watercool Heatkiller IV Acrylic Ni-Bl (for Vega 56/64)
[RAD #1] Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480mm
[RAD #2] Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480mm
[RES] Watercool Heatkiller Tube 200
[PUMP] EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial
[FANS] 12x Corsair ML120 PRO RGB + 3x Splitty4 (modded in serial) + QUADRO
[FITTINGS] Barrow… lots (list when build is over)
[TUBING] Barrow 16mm PETG + Mayhems soft
[LIGHTING] TBD

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time modder.

After a long period of research, purchases, research, sales, repurchases, and more purchases, I'm ready to start digging into this case and building my system.
First of all, don't let the RGB fool you: I'm going for a quiet and low-key build! But it's a sleeper build: more than enough cooling capability to push CPU and GPUS to pretty high overclocks when benchmarking or gaming (if needed), and enough RGB to light the house if the power goes out (while the UPS lasts). That's where the name came from, to be honest. If you haven't played Portal (2), I won't spoil you, but Wheatley was by far my favorite character and one that had a pretty significant "split personality". This "duality" is what informed my hardware purchases. I wanted gear that could run silent while idling/chilling, and could power through benchmarks like butter.

For those interested, the final goal is to be running Linux has a hypervisor, and Windows + macOS **simultaneously** in VMs with hardware passthrough. That was the reason why I went from a 7820X to a 7900X just a few weeks ago (and a 9940X later on), to get those extra sweet CPU lanes–screw you Intel for capping them on a $600 MSRP CPU…

Anyway, plenty of updates and photos will be coming VERY soon. I have most of the gear, just waiting to measure everything, mod the case where needed, and decide on fittings and tubing so I can order those.

Pretty stoked to finally be modding a case and doing a custom loop. I've been around building computers and overclocking since the late 90s (e.g. my first overclock was a Pentium 166Mhz MMX, where to overclock it, you had to figure out the combination of three 3-position dip switches for the frequency AND three others for the multiplier… no info on the manual either. Got it running at 225MHz, 24/7… for almost 8 years! ).

Hope I can tickle your interest and you become part of the "group" here, making suggestions and helping out where needed.

Have a fantastic day, and see you around!

--LF

PS: I hang out at a bunch of hardware-related Discord servers (including OCN) and sub-reddits. Feel free to hit me up any time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1190.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	201846  

Name:	IMG_1163.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	201848  

Name:	IMG_1152.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	201850  

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	201852  

Name:	IMG_1162.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	201854  

Last edited by levifig; 08-30-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Nice! It begins!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by richiec77 View Post
Nice! It begins!

It does! Thank you for all the advice so far… and sales!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 07:24 AM
BlackSmith Designs

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
that case looks familiar......i know i have seen that somewhere
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by vegaspimp22 View Post
that case looks familiar......i know i have seen that somewhere

I know right?!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thumbs up Update #1

Pretty big update, lots of pictures, mostly designing and planning.

So, my biggest gripe with this case from seeing builds online was that the basement rad didn't have mount points to line up a 480mm rad with the mesh grill. I'm sure that if you were installing a 420mm or smaller rad, you could move them along the mount and center them (horizontally), but you'd still have the fans off-centered vertically. I don't understand how this went through QA during the design phase, but I'm guessing they didn't bother to actually install rads and check the vertical/horizontal centering before considering the product done. Ah well…

So, with that in mind, I've been measuring and remeasuring everything to figure out the offset of the rad mount so I can get some blocks (probably acrylic) done that will screw into the stock screw points and allow me to screw the rad mount into them. I think I have that finally figured out but that alone took me hours upon hours of trying to eyeball the "true center" of the fans with the rad… *sigh*

With that done, I started thinking of the midplate and vertical cover. My goal is to eventually get a distro plate done but I'm not done designing that yet (I want one with retro-illumination). I've been playing around with cardboard to test fit, and I'm now looking for places where I can order acrylic at a decent price, and checking with family & friends to see if anyone has a table saw (and then buying a blade to cut acrylic).

FWIW, this whole process has me wanting to get into machining eventually. Been researching and drooling over CNC machines… Honestly, if I sold this PC, I could afford 2-3 decent CNC machines… haha

Anyway, then I started thinking of the loop and runs so I can finally place the order for the fittings. A little discouraged that there only way to get Barrow is to have it shipped from China, which takes forever and a day, but glad that Barrow exists because their fittings are gorgeous and I want them. I have a pretty good idea of how I want to run the tubes. I'm going for a parallel loop, with minimal tubing runs. I really don't like the fancy tube bends that so many folks seem to do… I respect their taste, but that's not for me. The only tubing that will be visible is from midplate to GPUs and CPU, from res to midplate, and from top rad to backplate…

I'm also trying to keep the mods to the case itself as minimal as possible… but it's almost impossible not to cut into it. First of all, and as you can see in the pictures, the rad mount for the basement covers the ports of the SR2 that I want to use. The wall behind the rad support (basement) also covers that area, so I'm going to have to cut both the rad mount and the mid wall to get the tube to pass to the back basement area. Also, going to have to cut a little bit into the basement divider wall, at the top, to let the tube from the res/midplate pass to the pump.

All in all, I'm super excited. I've never modded a case, and I've never watercooled. I've been researching, learning, and looking for inspiration for almost 6 months now. This was supposed to be a "cheap" build (around an X299-A and a 7820X) and it's becoming a LOT more than that…

Hope you enjoy the pictures. I'm going to be sure to post more progress and pictures as it happens. Feel free to give advice or suggestions if anything looks wrong or sub-optimal. Thank you in advance.

That's it for now.

>> Photos w/ commentary <<

(it was easier to post them on Imgur then spam them here)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:05 AM
BlackSmith Designs

[QUOTE=levifig;27485412]Pretty big update, lots of pictures, mostly designing and planning.

So, my biggest gripe with this case from seeing builds online was that the basement rad didn't have mount points to line up a 480mm rad with the mesh grill. I'm sure that if you were installing a 420mm or smaller rad, you could move them along the mount and center them (horizontally), but you'd still have the fans off-centered vertically. I don't understand how this went through QA during the design phase, but I'm guessing they didn't bother to actually install rads and check the vertical/horizontal centering before considering the product done. Ah well…

So, with that in mind, I've been measuring and remeasuring everything to figure out the offset of the rad mount so I can get some blocks (probably acrylic) done that will screw into the stock screw points and allow me to screw the rad mount into them. I think I have that finally figured out but that alone took me hours upon hours of trying to eyeball the "true center" of the fans with the rad… *sigh*

So your ok with the rad sitting that far back? Remember, you can buy that universal rad mount,
(here)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

then have it sit up front like it is supposed to, and that will give you ALOT more room to move around down there.

Keep in mind, the pump is on one side, and the power supply on the other. I think you can still pull it off the way your doing it, im just worried about the space. I guess I dont know your layout and passthrough plans though.

Once more here is the space left even after I cutout the supports and moved it to the front.

Name:  imageproxy (1).jpg
Views: 600
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  imageproxy.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  imageproxy.png
Views: 632
Size:  303.3 KB
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by vegaspimp22 View Post
So your ok with the rad sitting that far back? Remember, you can buy that universal rad mount then have it sit up front like it is supposed to, and that will give you ALOT more room to move around down there.

Keep in mind, the pump is on one side, and the power supply on the other. I think you can still pull it off the way your doing it, im just worried about the space. I guess I dont know your layout and passthrough plans though.

Once more here is the space left even after I cutout the supports and moved it to the front.
Hey man, thanks for the feedback!

The basement rad is going to be mounted as far forward as it can go (limit being the fans hitting the grill ). I'm trying to think of the best way to mount them. Those supports might be the way to go. I keep thinking I should make custom supports, and make them in a way that can help act as support for the midplate… I might just give up on that for now and get those supports though, and revisit any changes to the supports later. I was thinking of making them out of acrylic… I have to recheck your thread and see what acrylic sheets you bought (and where) and how you cut them.

As for the tubing, I'm planning it with that midplate (and a distro plate later) in mind. I need to make that midplate first and figure out how much room I have under, between it and the rad. I think there's enough room to run a couple of straight 16mm hardline tubing runs… Using the SR2 gives me plenty of flexibility on which ports to use...

PS: I PM'ed you on Discord a few weeks ago but you evidently don't use Discord much! haha

Thanks again man! ;D

Last edited by levifig; 06-13-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: add quote
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 AM
BlackSmith Designs

Quote: Originally Posted by levifig View Post
Hey man, thanks for the feedback!

The basement rad is going to be mounted as far forward as it can go (limit being the fans hitting the grill ). I'm trying to think of the best way to mount them. Those supports might be the way to go. I keep thinking I should make custom supports, and make them in a way that can help act as support for the midplate… I might just give up on that for now and get those supports though, and revisit any changes to the supports later. I was thinking of making them out of acrylic… I have to recheck your thread and see what acrylic sheets you bought (and where) and how you cut them.

As for the tubing, I'm planning it with that midplate (and a distro plate later) in mind. I need to make that midplate first and figure out how much room I have under, between it and the rad. I think there's enough room to run a couple of straight 16mm hardline tubing runs… Using the SR2 gives me plenty of flexibility on which ports to use...

PS: I PM'ed you on Discord a few weeks ago but you evidently don't use Discord much! haha

Thanks again man! ;D

No I dont discord often, I check it once every other week for a sec.

Um any acrylic sheets will do. Even extruded acrylic sheets from home depot or lowes would work, as long as its not toooo thin. Cast Acrylic is much sturdier, but also more expensive. I just glued two pieces on each side, secured to the center piece for stability, like feet. The center piece bottom edge laid flat against the ground too, so the weight of the rad was pushed into the ground. The feet were not supporting downwards pressure, just keeping it from falling over.

Like this

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	52
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	203088

Funny thing is I made that first, really long, the whole 480 mm, then i found those stands online, and was like oh yea i guess i can cut it into two halves. So I did. Making them would save you a little money, if you already have superglue or weldon.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update #2

I know this build log has been quiet for ages. It's been really hard to find time to work on this so progress has been slow (2nd child born in September; first one was 18 months when she was born ). On top of that, I've had to change plans quite a few times, order/re-order parts, etc. I guess that's inevitable when you're doing things from scratch. I'll post a full progress report at some point, but here's a quick photo of the current state of things! Pretty happy with how things are turning out.

Next up: some final adjustments, painting, and tube bending! #homestretch

Let me know if you have any questions, but I'll have pictures of how I did stuff in more detail soon… <3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9064A9DF-68EB-4C62-97BE-61121A5469B8.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	242500  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in