Project Stryxx (Corsair Obsidian 900D) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Project Stryxx (Corsair Obsidian 900D)

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Project Stryxx (Corsair Obsidian 900D)

Over the course of the last couple of weeks, I've been working on and modifying my Corsair Obsidian 900D Case, and plan on moving my build into it. From start to finish I aim to not only have a unique case, but to also put as much time and effort by my own hands into it as possible, and knock it out of the park.

Planning;

The included pictures are everything I have for planning. I do all my designs by hand at this time. I first decided that I would cut out and create a new front panel, moving on to add the lower two side panels, and finally adding in painting different parts of the case to create my theme. My theme overall is Black, gray, and clean. I use corsair and asus parts primarily, focusing on the watercooling loop for both my GPUs and my CPU, as well as utilizing any asthetics that I can to make it look great.

I printed off some side and front view images of the 900D stock. I took measurements from the case directly, and worked on both the front and lower side panel designs, attempting to scale everything so that it would fit the way I wanted it to. After creating the designs (Depicted with the images I've included), I tore down the case using the parts breakdown from MNPCTech (Image included), and only removing the parts I needed. 5.25" bay was removed and will not be returning, the motherboard tray was removed to be painted, and all the panels and bezels were removed for different uses (Paint, mod, etc...). After working with the front panel and lower side panels, taping them up and re-measuring based on different needs, I redrew the designs to correct scale on the parts to cut later.

The front panel will utilize the exiting panel to attach, so I'd have to cut it, and then mesh would be applied with the new face on top of that to give me the effect I wanted. I used a 12"x24"x1/40" piece of aluminum for the faceplate and my dremel to do all the cutting. Once everything is cut, double checked and fitted, and then painted it will be time to assemble the front panel.

The next step will be to cut out the lower side panels, these aren't aluminum like the front, but steel and will require a little more care. The doors these panels sit on will need the mesh area underneath painted to provide a similar mesh coloring to match the front when its all completed. The beauty in this is that the current covers can be used, screwed back on as it was intended, and they will not need any major modifications other than cutting out the panel design.

Following that, the front bezel on the inner edge will be painted the same gray color as the motherboard tray (Metallic Gray by Rustoleum on top of the gray Rustoleum self etching primer), the rear panel with the I/O and PCI slots will be painted but not the exterior, and the interior near the motherboard has yet to be decided on if it will be painted or left black for contrast.

Once everything is cut, cleaned up and painted, and then tested and fitted I will re assemble the case for the most part. The side panels and top panel are new, replacement parts as the originals were damaged, but this gives me extra to work with as I plan on adding tempered glass to replace the plastic window and I may add tempered glass to the other side to show off the cable managment and drives.

After all the double checking and materials planning, its time to impliment and start modding, and hope all goes well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	225574  

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	225576  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	225578  

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	225580  

Name:	1538190234_tmp_2.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	225584  

Name:	corsair900dpartsdismant.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	225586  

Name:	Commander Pro Setup.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	225588  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Next phase:

I've tore down and cleaned up the case. Painted the motherboard tray, front bezel and rear panel on the inside, and the lower side panel doors were painted as well. Painted the front panel mesh to match with the lower side panel doors as well, leaving the backside black just in case I like it more later down the road. I used Rustoleum Self Etching Primer and Rustoleum Metallic Gray spray paint for this and it has turned out great.

Following this, I've cut the front panel into the shape I'll need to mount the new faceplate with little altering still needing done, and I've cut out the front faceplate. Both pieces turned out great, with the original front plate needing some filing down on the right side edge so it won't show, and the faceplate needing to be painted. I will be using Rustoleum Engine Enamel Flat Black for this as its a close match to the black of the case.

My next steps will be to of course paint the front panel, then I need to start test fitting everything, lining up the faceplate and then assembling it afterwards. Once this is done, I'm confident I can put most of the case back together.

NOTES: I'm debating on adding a solid plate to cover up a good portion of the interior wall next to the motherboard, with plans to defintitely create a basement cover plate (likely black to contrast the motherboard tray), and will work on those designs at a later date.

Below are all of the progress pictures describe above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	871.9 KB
ID:	225594  

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	804.4 KB
ID:	225596  

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	225598  

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	225600  

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	225602  

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	225604  

Name:	20.jpg
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	225606  

Name:	21.jpg
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	225608  

Name:	IMG_20181018_163826_373.jpg
Size:	845.5 KB
ID:	225610  

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:02 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 283 (Unique: 184)
such an epic build, made note to make more of the ROG plates!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sorry, its been slow going these last few days, the warmer dry weather hasn't been around and I'm hoping to finish some last minute grinding and painting on the front panel.

I've re assembled most of the case thus far, found my old SSD mount for the case and I plan on using it as a support strut for the motherboard tray, as the removed 5.25" has lead to some minor structural weakness and movement. Still working on what and how to cover the basement, thinking a combination of mesh and plating might not be a bad idea, and would allow for further creativity in this build.

I will be using my 2016 PAX West pin from Corsair to keep the logo on the front, its definitely an improvement if not a sad day since it will only live on my case afterwards. I am also trying to decide if I want to cut off the center strut in the front panel that separates the 5.25" bays and fans (also holds the front fan mesh in place), as I will be mounting a mesh to the front panel, and it would allow for both better asthetics and LEDs should I decide to light up that front panel.

Fans! Let us not forget those. I have a weird assortment of fans at the moment, primarily different versions of Corsairs, and a few EK Vadar fans as well. I will be using a Commander Pro and I know it has issues with using different fans at any one time, so I will plan accordingly until I can get the Corsair ML fans to replace them all. I will also use the daisy chaining feature of the Commander Pro and expand my fan connectivity to match the 12x 120mm and 1x 140mm fans that will eventually live in this case.

Speaking of the Commander Pro, I will also use the USB strips that connect to it to primarily light up my interior, white of course because unicorn puke doesn't belong in my clean and almost colorless build. Love RGB, just no need for it, and I want this system as clean as possible. Tons of black zip ties, cable tie downs, and I have so many more plans for cable management and routing.

I currently don't have a job, so buying anything else is out of the question at this time, but once I'm able to I will be putting tempered glass in place of the platic that is now my side window. Thankfully I got new side panels and top cover from Corsair before starting this, still has yet to have the plastic peeled off (I so plan on doing that live on stream, so for plastic peeling pleasure, maybe take a minute to check it out).

My Corsair Dominator Platinum memory currently has their aftermarket lighting bars on it. I also got a nice set from Mod One in black that I will switch to once I swap the build.

I will also be using nylon spacers, very thin ones, to screw anything down to the motherboard tray as well as the rear panel to protect the paint, and thank god for the already built in IO shield my motherboard comes with as I should not have any alignment issues because of it.

So much to do, so many limitations right now, and yet I keep finding things I can work on thankfully.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	226658  

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	654.0 KB
ID:	226660  

Name:	35.jpg
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	226662  

Name:	40.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	226664  

Name:	28.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	226666  

post #5 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

More Updates!

I finally got the front panel cleaned up and painted. Looks great thus far. I still have to do the lower side panels, then work on the basement cover, and finally work on how to alter the front panel to fit a 360mm rad the way I want to.

I will not be able to move my build into this case for some time though, as I regrettably do not have any income at this time, and will need to wait (I need new thermal paste, more water cooling tubing, a couple more fittings, and some other items).

I'm still debating on putting a case badge on, I thought I wanted to, but now I'm not certain yet. I will wait until it is assembled and to my liking before deciding on minor last minute details like that.

Based on my progress and where I'm at, I'd say I'm about 50% of the way done with this project, and depending on income and other factors I should finish at the latest February of next year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	47.jpg
Size:	456.2 KB
ID:	227320  

Name:	44.jpg
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	227322  

Name:	42.jpg
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	227324  

Name:	46.jpg
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	227326  

Name:	48.jpg
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	227328  

Tags
Case Mod , Case Modding , case mods , Corsair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in