Resurrection - i9-9980XE | Titan RTX | 128GB DDR4-3200 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Resurrection - i9-9980XE | Titan RTX | 128GB DDR4-3200

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 186 (Unique: 146)
Resurrection - i9-9980XE | Titan RTX | 128GB DDR4-3200

Been quite a while since I was on OCN (2 years since last login) and even longer since I posted a worthy build, so we'll just call this Resurrection as a reference/joke with my username, haha. Anyways, buddy is getting ready to start doing 4K and 8K video editing/rendering, so he needed some serious horsepower, he sent me a list of the hardware he wanted and now we're getting it rolling. Not too many 9980XE/Titan RTX builds out there (I actually think this might be the first publicly posted), so I was super excited to handle this stuff.

Intel Core i9-9980XE
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II
NVIDIA Titan RTX
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 16GB (x8 = 128GB)
Samsung 970 Evo 2TB
Western Digital Gold 12TB
EVGA Supernova 1200W P2
Corsair H150i Pro AIO
Fractal Define R6 USB-C

Won't really be any theme or anything super elaborate, they wanted something less flashy. If you want to see any particular test/bench, let me know before I ship it out. CPU isn't pictured, it'll be here in the afternoon

I thought to myself "this part costs more than my entire build" as I opened almost every box in here, haha.

PSU installed, love Fractal's install method for this.

128GB of RAM loaded up :O

This is a pretty nice Corsair AIO. It'll be mounted up top with the 3x 120MM fans it came with.

970 Evo going in the M.2_Socket1 space, I appreciate Asus includes a thermal pad to conduct to the heatsink for these SSDs.

Another solid Fractal install method for the HDD (the rubber bumpers to keep noise and vibration to a minimum), I'm sure this is somewhat common nowadays.

Just covering the serial number. Nice part about WD Gold is that it's technically an enterprise product so you get the elevated support/warranty department compared to Red Pro!

That's about it for now, I'll be taking some more pics when the CPU gets here and I can actually put it together!

If you respond to one of my posts in a very busy thread, I probably won't see it, so feel free to message me.

Last edited by TheJesus; 12-22-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 06:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Some nice entry level hardware around here

More seriously, I suppose that 8K footage takes a huuuuge amount of space, much more than the 2TB SSD... Or even the 12 TB drive that may be a bit slow even ?

Urban Photographer - Portfolio
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 06:44 AM
Hardware Princess

Rep: 31 (Unique: 26)
Nice, I'll be curious to see how that H150i pro handles a 9980XE

CHILLER DESTRUCTION
Build Log - White Voodoo
Z390 Station
(11 items)
White Voodoo
(15 items)
CPU
9900K @ 5.4 1.50v
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Titan RTX 2085/8500
RAM
Trident Z 3200c14 @ 4133c16 1.5v
Hard Drive
970 Evo Plus 250gb
Power Supply
silverstone 1200 from 2008 (other one exploded)
Cooling
HWLabs GTX 360 Rad (in RED)
Cooling
3x EK Vader 120mm 2200rpm Fans
Case
Dimastech Test Bench
Monitor
AOC Agon AG251FZ 240Hz
Audio
Built-in Monitor Speakers (3 watt)
CPU
7980XE @ 4.3 GHz 1.10v
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
2 x Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 Ti @ 2037/6318
RAM
Trident Z 16gb 3200c14 @ 3800c16 1.50V (the other two sticks were sacrificed)
Hard Drive
960 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1600 T2
Cooling
HWLabs GTR 420+280 Rads
Cooling
7 x Noctua Industrial 140mm 3000 RPM Fans
Cooling
EK D5 Pump/Res (with RGB!)
Case
LD Cooling PC-V7
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSB
Monitor
NEC PA271W
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Mouse
Logitech M510
Mousepad
anime tiddy mousepad
CPU
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz
RAM
48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066
Hard Drive
120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD
Hard Drive
2 TB Western Digital Green
Hard Drive
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM
Power Supply
650W Delta PSU
Case
1U Rackmount
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Reiep View Post
Some nice entry level hardware around here [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

More seriously, I suppose that 8K footage takes a huuuuge amount of space, much more than the 2TB SSD... Or even the 12 TB drive that may be a bit slow even ?
Yeah, should be an okay starter build 😛

Yes, it definitely does in raw form. It's typically about 2GB per second of footage. So an hour of RED 8K Raw is about 7TB. The SSD is going to be able to handle most chunks of footage he works with and the gold drive will hold the rendered output that's been compressed until it's offloaded to a NAS (10Gbps Ethernet port will be helpful for that) or external SSD. When the 8K point comes, we'll likely expand the storage array a bit (case has physical space for 10x 3.5" drives), but for his current 4K needs it should be excellent.

If you respond to one of my posts in a very busy thread, I probably won't see it, so feel free to message me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Hydroplane View Post
Nice, I'll be curious to see how that H150i pro handles a 9980XE
Really well! Seeing around 70°C at 4.4GHz all cores at 100% stress test for two hours and the fans set to "Extreme" (I believe about 1200RPM, not very loud really). Saw about 80-85°C with the fans set to "Standard" (nearly silent). I'm pleased for 36 threads at 4.4GHz running stable at those temps.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Forgot to post the rest of the pics and final status!

Quick note, I discovered very quickly that the stress test I was using on the CPU was not a true stresser. Using the Prime95 Small FFTs was spiking temps to 110C+ before thermal throttle backed it down (I saw this in Autodesk Fusion360 rendering first), but on the other tests was totally fine at 60-70C on Blend and 80-85C on In-Place FTTs. So changed from 4.6GHz all cores to 4.4GHz with AVX offsets at -4 (4.0GHz), fixed it quite well. Dropped the full Small FFTs load from the 110C+ to 85C and the other tests to 55-65C max. Also gets to see 4.0GHz all cores instead of stock 3.8GHz. It just was too much heat at anything above 4.2, but even then was a little too much heat for the render times this will be doing so 4.0 all cores was decided and 4.4 in normal uses. Moving on!

Just $4500 in two components, no big deal -_-

Board mounted with alllll the RAM.

I'm gonna pretend I totally understood how to mount the radiator up top from the get go and I didn't stare at it for 15 minutes asking myself how to do it...

A bit of a tight fit, but I've had way worse, haha. The rad touches both the front (the 5.25" bay has small metal brackets on it that were kind of in the way) and the motherboard's rear I/O cover (the large triangle with PRIME on it), but with a little wiggling, it fits perfectly.

You may ask why I mounted the Corsair angle at 90*, but having it correctly oriented resulted in a bit of strain on the tubing that I didn't like much (and this doesn't have a side window, so won't be seen). Another angle you can see the rad touching the rear I/O cover. You can also see all the connectors for the Corsair H150i.

May I interest you in some wires? I cleaned these up and zipped them up after.

All buttoned up and looking pretty with that Titan RTX!

Here's a screencap of the RGBs running. I love all of them, both on the mobo and the RAM.

So that was about it for installation, I have some videos of the RGBs and stuff, but that's nothing new. Here's a bit of 970 Evo vs WD Gold 12TB, hahaha.

And instead of screencapping buttloads of benchmarks, I compiled all the scores in Notepad with barebones clocks and when I was done OC'ing and stable. Note: I had some much higher clocks that were semi-stable and would pass benches, but this is a production PC and I'm not going to send something semi-stable, so these scores are fully stable.

That's the following positions on the leaderboards (if I paid for it):

Superposition Benchmark
29th in 1080P Extreme 1X GPU (looks to be 2nd and 5th are LN2/chilled Titan RTXs and 7th is likely a liquid Titan RTX for comparison)
41st in 4K Optimized 1X GPU (1st is a LN2/chilled Titan RTX at 15388 :O )
17th in 8K Optimized 1X GPU (1st and 2nd are LN2/chilled Titan RTXs at 7106 and 6784)

3DMark Benchmarks
88th in Fire Strike 1X GPU (only 7 other Titan RTXs higher)
100th+ in Time Spy 1X GPU (a semi-stable run got me about 60th, but not production stable)

Cinebench R15
27th in CPU (on official leaderboard, not even close on HWBOT's full list. 67th on HWBOT's 18-core list though, again, stable not max scores, I saw over 4700 on one run - about 48th place, but locked up shortly after)

Guess that sums it up!

Last edited by TheJesus; 12-31-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Tags
9980xe , fractal , h150i , rtx , Titan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in