[Setup Build Log] Simple and Clean - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Setup Build Log] Simple and Clean

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
My old title doesn't fit.

[Setup Build Log] Simple and Clean

I've always been a fan of the minimalist setup. So I think that after much consideration and the fact that some laptops are as powerful or more than my desktop, and after seeing this video, and the fact that I do currently switch between portable and desktop for separate uses, I have decided to do THIS:

I will be replacing my desktop which currently is:

i7 5820K @4.4ghz
16GB DDR4 @3200MHz
240gb Patriot Blaze SATA SSD
2 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD (I got these in like 2011 and they're still going strong)
Gigabyte GTX 980ti Windforce G1 Gaming

Things I will continue to use:
Acer ET322QK 4K HDR monitor
Sony stereo speakers with amp
RGB mechanical keyboard (not sure the brand)
Razer Naga chroma 2014

I plan to build my existing desk with a back wall to mount the monitor flush on an arm.

I already ordered a wall mount from Amazon and will be visiting IKEA tomorrow or Friday to get the other piece of desktop I need to fashion the backing and pick up some drawers for the existing desk bottom.

My options for laptop right now are:

MSI P65 with the i7 8750 and 1070 Max-Q
Razer Blade 15 with the i7 and 2060 or 2070 (available January 29). <---- decided on this one with the 2070 in Mercury White.

To make up for the lost HDD capacity I plan to get a 4TB external drive to use when docked for my game library.
Gaming wise, these are on par with my desktop soooo no point in me keeping two machines anymore (my other is the Surface Pro 3).

I dont plan on grabbing an eGPU enclosure right away but will likely do so this year as either way I plan on grabbing the a 2080/ti or Vega II for it (to put in my desktop for now until the laptop is here DDD).

The TB3 hub they use in that video is pretty decent so I will probably grab that as well. Also going to "try" to embed the wireless charger in the desk. Should be interesting.

Hopefully this all goes well. Setting up the garage for my "desk building" tonight so tomorrow I can get to that portion of it before the mount gets here Friday.

The goal of this build is to create a minimalist designed space with in desk wireless charging and clean lines with accent lighting in the right places. All cables hidden as well as possible.

Beginning of project look:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desk Setup.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	249124  

I am a Google Pixel 3 user.
We're gonna combine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 51)
After seeing the video yesterday, I'm considering going this route as well.

SEGA! was seriously injured, but the soul still BURNS!
IEM:
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10(reshelled) Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220vi, Altec Lansing UHP326
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 555, Audio Technica ATHM40FS, Sennheiser HD 202
A/V: ONKYO HTS-6100\HTR667
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

My monitor arm should be arriving today. I completed the ALEX from IKEA last night so photos of that coming soon.

Tonight's goals:
Purchase self tapping screws and wood support beams/blocks from home depot. I will need these to reinforce the back wall of the desk to be able to support the added weight of the monitor and mount. Possibly will mount speakers to this as well, will have to see once I measure for space.
Disassemble existing desk.
Complete drilling of holes for wireless charger.
Complete desk back attachment to new larger desk top and mount legs on left side. Right side to be supported by ALEX drawers.
Mount monitor and arm, drill holes behind monitor for cable management.

We're gonna combine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Penryn

Major update.

So I started by taking everything apart, in the photo here you can see the ALEX I completed last night:

I then cleaned all surfaces:

I added the two legs from my existing desk to the new larger surface on the left. Here you can see the placement of the first support 2x4 I used to help mount the backing:

These are the screws I sued. Since the surface of the IKEA particle boards is ~1" thick and I used a 2x4, the 3 inch screws go about all the way through without piercing the surface of the desk. This provides as much support as possible.

I placed 4 screws in the bottom of each block to attach them to the desk surface.

I used a round drill bit from IKEA to drill a hole for the monitor cables to pass through. Both the bottom and desk backing are different size LINNMON from IKEA:

I dont trust the particle board to hold up the monitor so I reinforced them by using extra pieces of two by four to drill through on the back.

I then put 5 screws in an X parttern on the back to hold the desk top and backing together.

Monitor setup and mounted:

I drilled another hole in the desk top under my mouse mat to route the cables for my keyboard and mouse.

Once I had everything setup I mounted my power strip and amp to the back of the desk. All cables are hidden in this way.

The amp controls are accessible from the top of the desk now.

I placed a 4 port USB hub on the right side of the desk backing for easy access for USB drives.

And here we are for now

The laptop is available Tuesday so my next steps are to order the TB3 hub, get some RGB lighting behind the monitor and get the desk ready for the built in wireless charger. More to come

Last edited by Penryn; 01-25-2019 at 10:26 PM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:29 PM
my street cred is 100

Rep: 47 (Unique: 32)
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:29 AM
Boo Hiss metadtaclock.net

Rep: 237 (Unique: 190)
Leave the phillips screws at the store, and buy torx (T25 specifically) instead. No more metal shavings.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 514 (Unique: 289)
looks good. You know, I found out IKEA uses that Cardboard inside the hard way last week when I used a little end table as ladder & fell right thru it. XD
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post
Leave the phillips screws at the store, and buy torx (T25 specifically) instead. No more metal shavings.
Yeah I'm going to remember this for next time. They're already in and secure but I did end up having two screws strip and one I had to cut off because it stripped before going all the way in.

We're gonna combine!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Going to pick up a right angle power cable for the monitor since the straight cable shows from the bottom. Don't want it to obstruct the RGB once it's setup.

We're gonna combine!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

So IKEA has this but not sure if I want the visible charger on the desktop or if I want it to just charge through top layer and maybe glue it inside the desk. I have a Pixel 3 so I may see about... taking apart the pixel stand and somehow working that in. More info is required first though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charger.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	249934  

We're gonna combine!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in