Fractal Node 202 - Plex Server with 240mm AiO - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Fractal Node 202 - Plex Server with 240mm AiO

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Fractal Node 202 - Plex Server with 240mm AiO

Hey all

I'm building a silent HTPC/Plex server using the following components:

Case and PSU:
Fractal Design Node 202 with Corsair SF450 fully modular PSU

Mainboard:
Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro Wifi

APU:
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G

RAM:
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-300 2 x 8GB (CL16)

Storage:
Corsair Force MP510 480GB NVMe SSD

APU cooler:
Alphacool Eisbaer LT240
with Noiseblocker eneloops

Since I don't need a dedicated GPU, I'll be able to install an Alphacool Eisbaer LT240 on the APU with the radiator in the GPU compartment.

The Eisbaer is great for this purpose, because it should fit and because you can actually change the tubing out. (That's the crucial part here, because with all the other aios, you'll need to flex some off of the frame separator in the case, in order to fit the cpu block through.)
Also, having that option, I can install Norprene tubes in just the right length.

There is, however, one issue that I'm afraid will hinder my project:

This is the compartment for the graphics card, where I want to install the 240mm rad.
I fear I won't be able to have the inlets facing to the right where they would collide with the power connector.

However, what about the left side?
Everything I saw so far had only a 120mm rad in there, with the inlets facing towards the psu (down in this image).

Any input on how to solve this issue?
- Do the inlets not collide with the i/o board in the front?
- Is there an alternative for the power connector (so that it doesn't collide with the rad inlets)
- Is there an option to move/shift the rad inside the case without having to drill new holes into the bottom? (I would 100% mess up the alignment!)
- Would it help to install the fans in the floor and the radiator on top? (There's probably 65mm of vertical clearance inside, so the 25mm rad with 25mm fans would leave 15mm of space on top.)

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fractal_Design_Node_202_interieur_filtre_carte_graphique.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	274598  

Last edited by Sharangir; 08-03-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Cheapest Man On Earth

Rep: 75 (Unique: 67)
I have a right angle power plug that looks like it would aim up in your pic. From there, you could make a tight radius turn to the left and run the cable from there. It came in a box of cables given to me, but I'd imagine they can be found online somewhere. It looks like it is purposely offset so that you have more room for the connectors on the PSU side.

You might want to get a pic of the radiator and adjust the size on your screen until it measures out to actual size, and then measure where the hose connections are in relation to the fan holes. You could trace it on paper and bring it to the case to figure out your clearance needs.

I'd imagine attaching the fans first would work to gain some clearance. I don't know about fan performance in push vs pull configuration, but my 2400G stays very cool under load with an air cooler, so I doubt it would be much of an issue either way.

*Comprehensive Memory Overclocking Guide*
Low Power Ryzen
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2400G
Motherboard
ASRock B450M-PRO4
RAM
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Cooling
Tuniq Tower
Operating System
Lubuntu 18.10
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Kleer Kut View Post
I have a right angle power plug that looks like it would aim up in your pic. From there, you could make a tight radius turn to the left and run the cable from there. It came in a box of cables given to me, but I'd imagine they can be found online somewhere. It looks like it is purposely offset so that you have more room for the connectors on the PSU side.

You might want to get a pic of the radiator and adjust the size on your screen until it measures out to actual size, and then measure where the hose connections are in relation to the fan holes. You could trace it on paper and bring it to the case to figure out your clearance needs.

I'd imagine attaching the fans first would work to gain some clearance. I don't know about fan performance in push vs pull configuration, but my 2400G stays very cool under load with an air cooler, so I doubt it would be much of an issue either way.
I'll look into those right angle plugs.
Switching that one out shouldn't be much of an issue. (I made all my cable myself).

However, I didn't buy the case yet, so cannot experiment around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ordered the case with integra PSU (that should be modular, thus saving me some work with the sleeves), a Gigabye Aorus B450I pro wifi mainboard and a pair (2 x 8GB) of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38).

I'll start with the sleeving and stuff, btu will wait for the Ryzen 5 3400G to arrive in 4 weeks.

Will update when I get my stuff.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:17 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2738 (Unique: 1626)
While the integra is not bad its not all that great either and there are better options than the integra

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here, the case with the integra is cheaper than all the other SFX PSUs and it's modular too.

I guess, it'll keep superbly quiet with only 65Watts of power to supply ?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Case with PSU, mainboard, RAM and multimedia keyboard arrived today.

Looks like I was fooled by Fractal design here.
They claim the Integra 450W PSU to be modular, which is true for the regular size option.
Unfortunately, the one in the Node 202 is NOT modular!

This means that I have a ****load of excess cables that I don't need/want in my case.
I don't need the 2 SATA nor the 2 PCI-Ex cables in my case!

Now I'm thinking of returning the entire thing and getting the case without PSU, then add a modular SFX PSU.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Found the socket to replace the stock one and possibly manage to fit the radiator after all.
https://www.reichelt.de/kaltgeraete-...?&trstct=pol_3

Thought about desoldering the cables inside the PSU, but that could be a bit risky, so I'll return the whole thing and buy the case separately with a fully modular PSU.

There's no easy way of sleeving this thing anyway, with such a tiny hole for all the cables.

EDIT: Scratch that.. returning the case will cost me way too much..
I'll have to buy the Corsair SF450 and hope that somebody wants to buy the Integra off of me.

Last edited by Sharangir; 06-15-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I now have all the parts here. Got an opened Ryzen 5 3400G (full warranty, but 20 bucks cheaper) and switched to the Force MP510 with 480GB of storage (instead of the similarly priced yet half as big 250GB Evo Plus 970)
Also, I bought the Corsair SF450 after Corsair refused to sponsor the build.
Because I usually dislike stock fans, I ordered a pair of Noiseblocker fans to go with my polar bear.

(Disclaimer: neither Aquatuning, nor Alphacool, nor Fractal Design, nor Corsair was in the slightest bit interested in sponsoring anything for this build, which makes this an unsponsored build )

Tomorrow, I'll take some pics and check out how I can fit the rad in there.

I'll also order a power socket to custom make the power cable inside the case, in case there should be the need for that.

I will also look at some possible sleeving combinations at hand and let you guys chime in.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Unfortunately, my very long post got lost, because the site decided that I hadn't logged in in a while (even though, I was logged in all the time..)

This only adds to my extremely high level of frustration that I'm at right now!

I'm pretty sure I've waisted 150 USD so far on this useless project and ppl from Fractal Design surely know bull klunk about "DESIGN"...

I'll update once I figured this **** ou, unless I don't throw everything in a bin before that.

Tags
eisbaer , eisbaer lt240 , Htpc , node , node 202

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in