XFORMA MBX MKII LONG TERM BUILD LOG - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

XFORMA MBX MKII LONG TERM BUILD LOG

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
XFORMA MBX MKII LONG TERM BUILD LOG

THE BEGINNING
So I’m not quite sure how I made it to the point of building an Xforma MBX MKII. First I’ll give you a little background information. I’ve been building PCs for over 15 years now. Mostly building PCs for friends and family and the occasional friend of a friend kind of thing. Around 8 years ago I switched over to Apple and didn’t look back for the most part. Since then I’ve been more involved with web design, logo design etc, but stayed away from hardware for the most part only building a couple of PC’s a year.

A couple of years ago I decided I need to set up a Plex server for our home. So I purchased a HPE Gen8 Microserver to run Unraid and Plex. Since I like “messing” with things this didn’t satisfy my needs for very long. So when browsing for parts, well mostly a new case that would fit into the overall look I was going for with my existing media set up. I came across a case I remembered seeing a few years earlier. It was the HP Omen X. Now at this point, I didn’t have any plans to mod it but wanted to build something low powered that could run my Plex server since its running 24/7 low power consumption was the key. Eventually, I picked up all the bits I needed and put the server together in a couple of hours.

Just so this isn’t too boring for everyone to read I’ll add a couple of pictures to try and keep everyone interested.

XFORMA MBX MKII
After building the server I soon started to run out of space. I mean 28TB of storage might seem like a lot. But when your serving up 4k Movies/TV Series and requiring multiple copies in 1080p and 720p for direct stream because the CPU isn’t powerful enough to transcode on the fly it fills quite quickly. So I’m browsing around all the usual places looking for parts. Then BOOM I happen to come across the infamous Xforma MBX MKII. Now being the computer geek that I am, I have known about this case for a long time. Since way back before MurderBox became XForma. The case was brand new and a fraction of its retail price so I snapped it up with no real plan of what I was going to do with it, and here we are.

Seriously how many cases come with their own gloves! LOL.
[url]https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=276216&thumb=1[/IMG]

WHAT’S NEXT
All things considered, I still don’t know exactly what we are going to be doing with the case. All I do know is we are going to build something that’s truly worthy of its own build log. An opportunity to build something in a case so renowned as the XForma MBX MKII doesn’t come around every day. I want to build something that Charles Harwood (the creator of the XForma MBX MKII) would be proud of. As far as specs I will add to and update the spec sheet along the way.

As far as the case goes I will be stripping it down and painting it in one of my favourite colours of all time Nardo Grey. I will also be going with a rasta theme for the cables and LEDs. Although they will be kept to a minimum since I’m not a fan of the RBG rainbow sick that I am seeing on a lot of builds in recent years. I appreciate they have a place but I want this build to have a little more class. This build should stand a level above the usual builds we are all used to seeing. Or at least that’s the plan lol.

THE SPECS
Spec wise, I will obviously be doing a custom water-cooling loop. Since this will be a long term project I’m not expecting to finish it quickly and it may well stretch over the next 12 months. I will be looking at either the recently announced Ryzen 3 CPU’s or possibly waiting to see what Threadripper 3 brings to the table. Just remember this is subject to change at any time since I don’t have the finer details fully mapped out yet.

Well, that’s all she wrote for today people. I mean it’s been a long day taking pictures and writing everything up. I’m already well over what I planned on writing. I just hope it wasn’t too boring and you stick around for my next update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0557.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	276186  

Name:	SAM_0579.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	276188  

Name:	SAM_0617.jpg
Size:	5.06 MB
ID:	276190  

Name:	SAM_0646-720.jpg
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	276202  

Name:	SAM_0651-720.jpg
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	276204  

Name:	SAM_0652-720.jpg
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	276206  

Name:	SAM_0617-720.jpg
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	276208  

Name:	SAM_0579-720.jpg
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	276210  

Name:	SAM_0557-720.jpg
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	276212  

Name:	SAM_0619-720.jpg
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	276214  

Name:	SAM_0622-720.jpg
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	276216  

Name:	SAM_0626-720.jpg
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	276218  

Name:	SAM_0632-720.jpg
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	276220  

Name:	SAM_0634-720.jpg
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	276222  

Name:	SAM_0636-720.jpg
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	276224  

Name:	SAM_0638-720.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	276226  

Last edited by TeCH-Guruz; 07-01-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:56 PM
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 117 (Unique: 98)
I'll sub for this one. That's a beautiful case for sure!

I see that you have been a member for six years already, and your first post is a build log... nice

If you want your images to be inside your posts, click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom, then click the "Insert Image" button on top of the text box and you can insert your image location.

Looking forward to your build.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
I'll sub for this one. That's a beautiful case for sure!

I see that you have been a member for six years already, and your first post is a build log... nice

If you want your images to be inside your posts, click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom, then click the "Insert Image" button on top of the text box and you can insert your image location.

Looking forward to your build.

Cheers buddy and yes I have been a lurker for many years lol never really got round to posting any of my builds. Mostly because they were for other people and they just wanted the build done as quick as possible. I didn't bother posting my plex server since the parts are pretty weak think g4600 CPU, no GPU but it does what I need.

Thanks for the tip on the images will try and fix the last post.

Tags
Casemod , Watercooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in