[BUILD LOG] TT Tower 900 Build - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[BUILD LOG] TT Tower 900 Build

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Backplate

Got my alum sheet in today, so I hammered out the backplate in about an hour. Took a few passes with the trimmer to get it to fit just right, but looks great and lines up perfectly with everything else.

Next, gonna start marking out my tubing holes, as well as any cabling holes, and get those cut out to size. Then I'll wrap it, and hopefully get my plexi before the end of the week so I can start actually putting this thing together this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backplate_fit1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	283436  

Name:	backplate_fit2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	283438  

Name:	backplate_fit3.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	283440  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Mistake...

I just realized while looking at my pictures that I made a small mistake wrapping the center box in the pump chamber.

I'm going to have to rip off the middle section wrap because I still need to cut out the RGB lighting holes, as well as the opaque white plexi is going to be bent over the top of that and then lit up from below. I was going to then wrap just the top of the plexi, and then cut out a few designs that would glow through, as well as the sides (hopefully I'm describing that correctly). It looks cool in my brain lol

I guess I can wait to do that, and make sure the plexi turns out how I want before breaking it all down again.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

First Attempt to bend plexi

So, this is my first attempt at bending plexi. I've cut it before, but bending was a whole other ballgame.

Got my beautiful opaque white plexi cut to size and then trimmed down a little.

Then made my first bend, turned out okay but then I realized I needed to clamp something flat down on top of it to keep it from springing back.

Then I made the second bend, and let it cool for a few minutes while being clamped down.

Turned out a lot better than I thought it would. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but even still I took it inside and installed all my parts to see how it would look in the case.

Not bad, though the pics are a little darker than it seems to appear in the case. I think it's just the massive contrast between the dark and then the bright white in the middle. Still, it looks good IMO.

I also cut out the areas on the bottom part of the MB tray that was blocking some of my cable and hose paths. Then I drilled out the screw holes, so now as you can see it holds itself up there nicely and looks like it was made to be there.

Thanks for checking my work out, hope to get some more done tomorrow as I finally have a free weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plex1.jpg
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	283836  

Name:	plex2.jpg
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	283838  

Name:	plex3.jpg
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	283840  

Name:	mbtray.jpg
Size:	578.5 KB
ID:	283844  

Name:	plex_testfit.jpg
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	283846  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Back Plate cable runs

Started early this morning and been working on my MB cable runs. Got a lot done, but not completed yet. Just taking a lunch/afternoon break and figured I'd update. (have a bad left knee so spending time sitting is a good thing for me right now lol)

- Got my centerpiece Plexi mounted with 4 bolts. I'll be drilling the pump mount holes later.

- Cut out the center part of my backplate where I'll be running my motherboard cables through. Then I cut to size a piece of the opaque white Plexi and mounted it up with two bolts.

- Cut out the groves to fit the cable combs I'm going to super glue to the metal edge of the backplate, and then the Plexi will be removable to adjust/add/remove cables as needed.

- A quick test fit with my 24pin MB cable. Looks good Only thing I need to adjust is the backplate hole. Need to cut it a little wider (more on the bottom section) to make it even out with the gap on the top. I'm going to be hopefully placing an RGB strip behind it to make it glow with the rest of the case lighting and fans.

I do have one more small hole to cut out to make way for the USB 3.0 cable to attach to my MB. It'll be between the two 8 pin & 24 pin connectors and just fish straight up to the MB.

More updates later I hope.

Thx
-Tolk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	centerrack1.jpg
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	284222  

Name:	backplate_plexi1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	284224  

Name:	backplate_plexi2.jpg
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	284226  

Name:	backplate_plexi3.jpg
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	284228  

Name:	backplate_plexi4.jpg
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	284230  

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Cable Plexi re-do

So, lesson learned. Plexi doesn't like jigsaws when they're small strips...

So, I took a break from that (after a few minutes of trying to control myself from breaking things).

I finished mounting the pump bracket on the center console. Looks seriously sexy

Then after grabbing a Mt. Dew, I went back to the drawing board. Sometimes mistakes help you re-focus and find a better way of doing something. Not sure if that applies to this situation, but I like what I came up with better than my original design.

This time though, I broke out the Dremel and used that instead of the jigsaw. - I'm so Pro -

Cut out and mounted, looking dang sexy!!
I superglued the plastic cable combs to the bottom section, and can easily add/remove/adjust the cables from now on. This also allows me to add a few more cable holes in the future if needed. (Like my hack of the 6 pin cable comb? going to use it to feed the larger USB 3.0 case cable through it.)

FYI - Locktight super glue SUCKS.... worst stuff I've ever used. I had to go back and buy some gorilla superglue, needless to say, I was upset.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grr.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	502.9 KB
ID:	284266  

Name:	centerrackMount.jpg
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	284268  

Name:	cableplexi1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	633.4 KB
ID:	284270  

Name:	cableplexi2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	284272  

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:02 PM
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
Subbed... I love it when a build log starts with a Dremel tool

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
Subbed... I love it when a build log starts with a Dremel tool
Thanks! Although it started with a screw up first, then a dremel lol
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Backplate Completed

Small update.

I changed gears slightly and trimmed down the top of the backplate. I'm going with two separate plates. One smaller one just below the MB tray that'll have all the cable routing in it. Then a separate plate for the bottom half that'll contain the routing for the water tubing.

I trimmed down my existing backplate, drilled out the holes for the tubing pass-throughs and then wrapped it in the carbon fiber vinyl.

Got my pass-throughs installed, as well as the start of the compression fittings on the pump chamber side. I'll add the fittings for the other side later on.

So far, looking sexy and making progress!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	backplate_done1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	285816  

Name:	backplate_done2.jpg
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	285818  

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Back Plate - Slight do-over

Well, I was bored and couldn't sleep so I decided to mock up the newly wrapped backplate and see if all my tube route planning paid off.

So far so good, just one hick-up. The radiator chamber side looks FUGLY.... When I get a chance in the morning I'm going to wrap both sides. Looks so cheesy like that.

If I'm going all out, and spending the kind of money I am on this thing, might as well make it all count right?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	do-over1.jpg
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	285870  

Name:	do-over2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	285872  

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Pump Chamber update

Got a lot of work done today! (and my knee is screaming at me, so I'm done for now lol)

After taking some pics, and really looking at the pump chamber with everything in it.

I took it apart and changed direction. This was "sort of" my original idea, but I wasn't sure I could pull it off. I got my Plexi cut out, and drilled all the holes needed and then got them installed in the case.

Was a little nerve-wracking at first, cutting out those fan holes scared me, but everything went well!!

Got them installed in the pump chamber with the RGB fans, and pump mounts. In the end, this will be so much easier to service any pump/flow issues because all I need to remove is the 4 fan mounting screws and everything will pop off.

Also, the RGB fans have that light ring around the bottom edge that's making direct contact with the white Plexi, and when turned on "should" light up the whole plate.

I also wrapped the cable plate (as you can see in the full pump chamber pic), and all I have left to do is cut out (with a dang Dremel this time) the cable routing paths. Just waiting for my CableMod cables to get here... You might be wondering why I'm waiting for those? Yes, I did order some already, and I already got them. But to my shock, I ordered the wrong PSU set. So, back they went. Just want to send a shout-out thank you to performance-pcs.com (no, not being sponsored at all by anyone for this build), they took back my already opened package without even a question. Great customer service, can't thank them enough!

Hope you guys like the change of direction. If you have any advice or anything questions feel free to speak your mind

-Tolk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pumpchamberbefore.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	286500  

Name:	pumpchamberplates.jpg
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	286502  

Name:	pumpchamberafter.jpg
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	286504  

Name:	pumpchamberafter2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	286506  

Name:	cableplexi_new1.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	286508  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in