[BUILD LOG] TT Tower 900 Build *COMPLETED* - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[BUILD LOG] TT Tower 900 Build *COMPLETED*

post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Capt Do-Over!

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
Rad chamber screw up...

Well, it looks pretty?

Ugh, screwed up my placement of the backplate tubing pass-throughs. When I mounted my radiator up to check for possibly adding some pulling fans on the inside of the chamber I noticed that it completely blocked one of the return pass-throughs, and the radiator on the other side would do the same to that one when mounted.

I now have to rebuild my backplate... yay... and I was so close lol

at least I have plenty of aluminum...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radchamber_doh1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	287736  

Name:	radchamber_doh2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	793.7 KB
ID:	287738  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Capt Do-Over!

Taking my time on my ride....

Over the last week I've been working pretty hard building a sketchup model of my tt900 and the mods I've made so far.

I should have done this to start but I wasn't really a fan of the web-version of sketchup (if that shows you how long it's been since I've used the program). But after screwing around with it for a few days I started to get the hang of it again and things started coming back to me.

It's a good thing I did, It's helped me with a lot of my placements and planning. I had to order just a few more small fittings, and rearrange placements on a few things. Not only is it looking better, but in the end it'll be even easier to access for maintenance in the future.

So in the next week or two you should see a lot more updates from me as I really get to work on putting this system together!

The only thing that really scares me is the whole lighting/RGB thing. I've never worked with those before because I always thought the whole Cold Cathode or UV thing was cheesy. The RGB's have come so far in the past few years that they not only look good, but they look clean and can be controlled with a mouse click. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

-Tolk
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Capt Do-Over!

Impressive.... Most Impressive.

For a while now I've been trying to 'mod' the pannel below the motherboard to allow for a clean path for all the PSU cables, and other misc cables needing access to the motherboard. I've gone through several iterations of the idea I've had in my head and realized that I just don't have the skill to go this one alone.

So I researched and researched some more. I found a few ideas and things that were close but not quite what I wanted. Until I came upon these beautiful custom cable combs made by "CF Nanoxia". I took a leap of faith and bought enough to complete the project I needed them for.

Now the best thing about not being sponsored on a build is that I can rave about a product that I've paid for with my hard-earned cash and it means that I freaking love this product enough to rave about it and even post pics about it.

That being said: These things are freaking beautiful, WELL made, and WAY lighter than I ever expected. I absolutely am in LOVE with these things. Each one comes packed in its own little box, akin to a piece of jewelry. It confused me when I first got the box, I wasn't expecting to open it and see 10 smaller boxes inside. I expected to see a bag with them all rattling around inside, but that was so far from what I got that it made me take a step back and just admire the attention to detail and overall effort the creator's of these combs has taken to make their product stand out. The last pic is all the combs put into one box, but each comb got its own separate box to start with. I just consolidated them.

I'm not sure I'll be using them for exactly what the creator of them had in mind, but I'm sure he'll love how front and center they'll be on my case. The only possible thing I could say, and it wouldn't even be a con, is that they only come in the raw aluminum color you see in the pictures. I would easily have paid a premium to have these anodized black, or whatever other colors people are in love with these days. If the creator of these ever reads my review (going to post one on amazon soon) I hope they'll start making them in different colors.

Enjoy the eye candy, and I can't wait to show you what I have in store for them!!

So, yes. Tolk = Happy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	comb1.jpg
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	290536  

Name:	comb2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	290538  

Name:	comb3.jpg
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	290540  

Name:	comb4.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	290542  

Name:	comb5.jpg
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	290544  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Capt Do-Over!

RGB Test

Just playing around with the RGB fans. Got my two radiators installed and wanted to see what they all looked like powered on.

For just a bit more description, the left side of the case had the cover over the fans, the right side had the cover off to show a little more of the lights. This is just a default lighting program from the maker of the fans, once I get my MB installed it'll be controlled by the aurora software from Asus. I'll also have some RGB strips under the plexi, lighting them up a little more.

This was done in a dark room so that I could see them better, though it still looks good in daylight.

Last edited by Tolkmod; 08-23-2019 at 07:30 AM.
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Capt Do-Over!

Pump Chamber work

Today was a good day! Got off a little earlier than expected from work, so I was able to get home and start working on my case.

First, I tore it down. I needed to adjust a few things as well as have it out in the garage so that I can test fit things while working on them.

So, you'll probably be wondering a few things as I'm going along, so I'll update you in advance. I have switched it up a little. I'm pulling out one full loop, and going with just two separate loops. One for my GPU, and one for my CPU/Chipset. It just hit me one night that it was some serious overkill, and there was really no reason to have that third loop in there.

So, that's why you'll only see 4 holes on my passthrough plate. Just in case you were wondering.

Pictures are in order of the steps/descriptions below:

-NEW WHITE PLEXI BACKPLATE!!

With the change-up of just two loops, and needing to re-tool the backplate anyways. I thought I'd try my hand with some of the leftover plexi I had. I've been working in SketchUp for this past week on my design, and I have to say I'm seriously happy with the way it turned out.
Anyways, so I totally wrecked the first one, so this is the second iteration. As with most of the plexi, I'm working with it's something that requires a lot of patients and calculated cuts so as not to have it blow up in your face. Here it is mocked up in the case after about twenty minutes of fine-tuning with a sander and a file to get it just right.

-Passthrough plate:
-Measured out and cut
-Passthrough mount holes drilled out
-Top and bottom ends bent 90 degrees
-Side view of bends
-Mockup and measuring on plexi backplate
-Cut out of backplate and standoff's mounted
-Passthrough/Backplate Mock-up
-Mock-up 1
-Mock-up 2

So, going to stop there and give you a quick description of what I'm doing. So what it is you'll see that there's a gap between the aluminum plate and the plexi, behind the aluminum I'm going to have strips of RGB's running that'll match all the fans and other RGB's, making the white plexi glow with that color. it'll have a nice diffused look to it, I hope.

Okay, back to pictures. Now that the passthrough plate was done, I went to work on the plate that's going to cover the center-console and match the flow of the passthrough plate, with the same intentions of putting RGB light strips under the plate to make it glow as well. There are also a few other ideas floating around in my head about possible cutout designs on the center console plate. Not sure if I can pull it off, but if I can I think it'll look pretty sick.

Didn't get any picks of the center plate while I was making it because I was kind of in the zone, but here it is mocked up.

-Mock-up 1
-Mock-up 2 (with me holding the passthrough plate up for effect)
-The Center plate now off the console, showing off my bends.

Welp, that's it for tonight. My knee was screaming at me to stop. I'll be picking up where I left off tomorrow!

Thanks for checking out my log

-Tolk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plex_BP1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	291154  

Name:	passthrough1.jpg
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	291156  

Name:	passthrough2.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	291158  

Name:	passthrough3.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	291160  

Name:	passthrough4.jpg
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	291162  

Name:	passthrough5.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	291164  

Name:	plexi_passthrough1.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	291166  

Name:	passthrough6.jpg
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	291168  

Name:	passthrough_mockup1.jpg
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	291170  

Name:	passthrough_mockup2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	291172  

Name:	center_1.jpg
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	291174  

Name:	center_2.jpg
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	291176  

Name:	center_3.jpg
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	291178  

post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:06 AM
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 117 (Unique: 98)
I think going from three loops to two loops is a good idea!

Having to redo the back plate again just means the first one was really just a practice piece right

Loving your mod work here... keep it coming

Edit: just gave you your first Rep. I'm sure you'll be getting more.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Capt Do-Over!

Quote: Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
I think going from three loops to two loops is a good idea!

Having to redo the back plate again just means the first one was really just a practice piece right

Loving your mod work here... keep it coming

Edit: just gave you your first Rep. I'm sure you'll be getting more.
Thank you so much means a lot! Hopefully, I can keep the updates coming. My knee keeps me from working the long hours I wish I could put into this thing. So I get short bursts here and there.
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Capt Do-Over!

Lazy update!

I did quite a lot today, but it was a lot of detail work so not many pictures to show.

First off, I do have what I call one of my "derailment" side projects to show ya. A while back I was having problems with my current pc, and trying to get to the back of the case and work on wiring, power, and other cabling issues it just drove me nuts. So, I didn't want to deal with the same issues on this new build.

Thus... the Lazy Susan.

First off, centered the bottom of the case.

Next, drilled out the holes and installed.

Super, super happy with this! And a little video of me showing it off.

After that was done (and WOW what a difference it made just doing all the little detail work today), I set upon finishing off the pump chamber.

I apologize for so few pics. I was all over the place with my thoughts today, so I didn't think to take many pics.

1- Got the RGB strips installed on the center console
2- Then I was able to wrap both plates with the carbon fiber and get them ready for final install tomorrow. Oh, and this time I wrapped both sides. Won't make that mistake again lol

I did a few other things, like install all the pass-throughs on the backplate, I reinstalled the radiators and fitted up the fill ports and temperature plugs and then cleaned everything up and reinstalled the side pump mount plates.

I wish I would have taken a picture before I put it all away, it looked amazing. I'll grab one tomorrow and post it.

I'm going to try and start working on the MB cabling pass-throughs tomorrow. I got my drill press setup with a small milling station, so that's going to be fun

-Tolk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	susan1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	291316  

Name:	susan2.jpg
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	291318  

Name:	center_rgb1.jpg
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	291320  

Name:	wrapped_pumpchamber.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	291322  

post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Capt Do-Over!

Capt Do-Over & Finished parts!

Evening Overclockers!

Today was a productive and slightly counter-productive day!

First of all, let's start out with the good stuff!

I started on the re-working of my PSU passthrough plate. I just wasn't in love with how it was looking. So I cut out some aluminum and got to modding.

1- Alum sheet cut to size, bending edges to fit snuggly around the edges of the MB tray
2- Bent, and cut to size.
3 & 4 - Test fitting.
I then drilled out the mounting holes and then went to work on the plexi passthrough pieces.

Took me about an hour but I got everything mapped out and went to the garage to start cutting. Using the dremel it took me another hour to get all the groves cut out. I went VERY slow this time lol
1- Passthrough areas cleared out, and holes drilled for the aluminum cable comes to be mounted. Front and Back pictures. Don’t mind how messy they are, they’ll get the job done and be completely covered. Besides, Me + Dremel + plexi = bad combo.
2- On one of the 6 pin combs I ground down the middle slots so as to fit one of my USB cables that’ll go to the underside of the MB right next to the SATA headers. Really odd spot for it, but at least the comb allowed me to address it.
3-Test fit on the motherboard tray.
4-Test fit mounted up in the case. **Now this is where my head started to spin a little, I kept looking and looking at the tray and trying to figure out why it looked tilted. Things just weren’t lining up. I wasn’t sure if it was just an illusion or something my eyes were playing tricks on me with. So I took it down and grabbed my square. It looked fine to me. So I put my square down and noticed that it didn’t lay flat. ARRGGGGG!!!! I headed to the store and grabbed me two more (just in case) and came back home.
5- I wasn’t just seeing things… I mounted the passthrough plexi wrong. I was completely and totally heartbroken!!!! Capt. Do-Over strikes again! I honestly didn’t even want to mess with it. I’ll head out tomorrow and see if it’s fixable, or if I have to completely remake the backplate. At least I don’t have to remake the Plexi part of it, as that’s not off, just the mounting of the plexi to the plate.

I needed something else to do so I went to work on my recently received Asus ROG RGB Aura Terminal.
1- Nice packaging, beautiful piece of equipment. I have to say I was shocked at the level of quality of this thing. That is always a good thing
2- I had been thinking of this since I decided to remove the 3rd Loop/Pump. I wanted something to go on the center console, and I thought this would look awesome. With a few tweaks of course.
3- Mockup of what I was thinking of doing. I have these nice vinyl standoffs, all m2 and m3, that allowed me to have a small ⅜” gap between the terminal and the center console tray. I figured I could tuck the wiring under the terminal, and then feed it through the tray, and into the console and under and out the back to whatever RGB’s I want to use with it.
4- Mounted up the standoffs, and got a good idea of the clearance. Looked really good on the first go.
5- Cut out the (SSD mounting pattern) and the center pass-through hole
6- Mocked it up with a few screws, just to see how it would look. Looks pretty sweet!) Power and USB cables tuck nicely under the terminal, and so will RGB 4 pin cables as well. I ordered a set of 4 sleaved 4pin RGB extensions to use. They should get here tomorrow, so I’ll be able to lock down the center console for good!!

Not sure if you noticed but I’ve gone with frosting the Plexi. I was getting irritated with the almost glass-like reflection off of it, so I just buffed it down with a sander and man I am loving the way it turned out. I’m doing it on all of it now. It just looks so much cleaner and softer. No more stupid reflections everywhere!!

Last, and certainly not least. After pouting about my stupid square being bent and causing me to quite possibly have to completely redo the MB plate again… I went to Harborfright (after getting a text for 25% off any one item) and got me a new comfy chair!! Been needing a replacement badly. Man, I love this thing, has wheels and is adjustable up and down. Made my knee very happy!

So that’s all I have for today, I’ll probably be updating quite a lot this weekend as it’s a nice 3 day weekend! Hoping to get some parts finalized and move on to actually putting this thing together!!

-Tolk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cablepass1.jpg
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	292760  

Name:	cablepass4.jpg
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	292762  

Name:	cablepass2.jpg
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	292764  

Name:	cablepass3.jpg
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	292766  

Name:	plexipass1.jpg
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	292768  

Name:	plexipass2.jpg
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	292770  

Name:	mbptmod1.jpg
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	292772  

Name:	mbtraymock1.jpg
Size:	587.9 KB
ID:	292774  

Name:	mbtraymock2.jpg
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	292776  

Name:	captdoover1.jpg
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	292778  

Name:	ROG.jpg
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	292780  

Name:	rogrgbmodmock1.jpg
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	292782  

Name:	rogrgbmodmock3.jpg
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	292784  

Name:	rogrgbmod1.jpg
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	292786  

Name:	rogrgbmod2.jpg
Size:	680.2 KB
ID:	292788  

Name:	rogrgbmod3.jpg
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	292790  

Name:	rogrgbmod4.jpg
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	292792  

Name:	rogrgbmod5.jpg
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	292794  

Name:	rogrgbmod6.jpg
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	292796  

Name:	rogrgbmod7.jpg
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	292798  

Name:	newchair.jpg
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	292800  

post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Capt Do-Over!

Major Progress!

Thank you for the much needed three day weekend!!!

Got a LOT of stuff done over yesterday and today.

1- PSU Cable passthrough plate rebuilt
-Cut out and bends made, taped up and measured for the cutouts
-Cutouts completed and the surface sanded smooth for carbon fiber wrap.

2- Center Console % ASUS AURA
-Ran all the cables and mounted it up.
-Top and Side views - Looks sexy!!
-Wrapped the PSU passthrough and test fitted it up.
** CENTER CONSOLE NOW COMPLETE!!**

3- Motherboard install & PSU cable routing!
-Couple pics of me installing the MB & Starting the PSU cable runs
-MB Installed!
-GPU Installed!
-Cables secured, and turned out SO much better than I was hoping for!

4- Pump Chamber & Tubing Routs!
-I started with the return tubing routing as it was a little easier to play with while the pump/rez combos were still outside the case.
-Got my return tubing routed and installed. All the returns will be black tubing (if you were wondering). I also was able to get my flow indicators installed as well. I think it turned out rather well.
-Installed my two EK pump/rez combos. (Yeah I got bigger reservoirs, I figured why not seeing as I’m only using two now.) I think they look pretty good
-The clear tubing shows the flow to the blocks and from the radiators. I think the contrast between the two looks good. It also goes with the black & white theme of the build.

***PUMP CHAMBER DONE!!***
-Bout 4 views of the pump chamber for ya.

5- Cable Hell!!
-Started working on the RGB, Fan, USB, PSU and all the other cables.
-Just getting this far took me about two hours lol

Holy crud this thing is heavy with the radiators installed!! I can’t imagine what it’s gonna weigh with all the fluid in, as well as the tempered glass and pannels all installed!! YESH! I’m gonna do a weight test when it’s all done lol

So, this next week I think I’ll be able to flush the radiators, finish up with the cable hell in the rad chamber, get the fluid in and start testing for leaks!! If everything goes as planned I might actually be able to start it up and get win10 installed next weekend!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BP_redo1.jpg
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	293136  

Name:	BP_redo2.jpg
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	293138  

Name:	CenterDone1.jpg
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	293140  

Name:	center_done2.jpg
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	293142  

Name:	PC_Test1.jpg
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	293144  

Name:	MB_install1.jpg
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	293146  

Name:	MB_install2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	293148  

Name:	MB_install3.jpg
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	293150  

Name:	MB_install4.jpg
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	293152  

Name:	MB_install5.jpg
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	293154  

Name:	exit_tubing.jpg
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	293156  

Name:	exit_tubing2.jpg
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	293158  

Name:	pumps_tubes1.jpg
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	293160  

Name:	pumpchamberDone1.jpg
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	293162  

Name:	pumpchamberDone2.jpg
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	293164  

Name:	pumpchamberDone3.jpg
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	293166  

Name:	pumpchamberDone4.jpg
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	293168  

Name:	cable_Hell1.jpg
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	293170  

Name:	cable_Hell2.jpg
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	293172  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in