Today was a productive and slightly counter-productive day!
First of all, let's start out with the good stuff!
I started on the re-working of my PSU passthrough plate. I just wasn't in love with how it was looking. So I cut out some aluminum and got to modding.
1- Alum sheet cut to size, bending edges to fit snuggly around the edges of the MB tray
2- Bent, and cut to size.
3 & 4 - Test fitting.
I then drilled out the mounting holes and then went to work on the plexi passthrough pieces.
Took me about an hour but I got everything mapped out and went to the garage to start cutting. Using the dremel it took me another hour to get all the groves cut out. I went VERY slow this time lol
1- Passthrough areas cleared out, and holes drilled for the aluminum cable comes to be mounted. Front and Back pictures. Don’t mind how messy they are, they’ll get the job done and be completely covered. Besides, Me + Dremel + plexi = bad combo.
2- On one of the 6 pin combs I ground down the middle slots so as to fit one of my USB cables that’ll go to the underside of the MB right next to the SATA headers. Really odd spot for it, but at least the comb allowed me to address it.
3-Test fit on the motherboard tray.
4-Test fit mounted up in the case. **Now this is where my head started to spin a little, I kept looking and looking at the tray and trying to figure out why it looked tilted. Things just weren’t lining up. I wasn’t sure if it was just an illusion or something my eyes were playing tricks on me with. So I took it down and grabbed my square. It looked fine to me. So I put my square down and noticed that it didn’t lay flat. ARRGGGGG!!!! I headed to the store and grabbed me two more (just in case) and came back home.
5- I wasn’t just seeing things… I mounted the passthrough plexi wrong. I was completely and totally heartbroken!!!! Capt. Do-Over strikes again! I honestly didn’t even want to mess with it. I’ll head out tomorrow and see if it’s fixable, or if I have to completely remake the backplate. At least I don’t have to remake the Plexi part of it, as that’s not off, just the mounting of the plexi to the plate.
I needed something else to do so I went to work on my recently received Asus ROG RGB Aura Terminal.
1- Nice packaging, beautiful piece of equipment. I have to say I was shocked at the level of quality of this thing. That is always a good thing
2- I had been thinking of this since I decided to remove the 3rd Loop/Pump. I wanted something to go on the center console, and I thought this would look awesome. With a few tweaks of course.
3- Mockup of what I was thinking of doing. I have these nice vinyl standoffs, all m2 and m3, that allowed me to have a small ⅜” gap between the terminal and the center console tray. I figured I could tuck the wiring under the terminal, and then feed it through the tray, and into the console and under and out the back to whatever RGB’s I want to use with it.
4- Mounted up the standoffs, and got a good idea of the clearance. Looked really good on the first go.
5- Cut out the (SSD mounting pattern) and the center pass-through hole
6- Mocked it up with a few screws, just to see how it would look. Looks pretty sweet!) Power and USB cables tuck nicely under the terminal, and so will RGB 4 pin cables as well. I ordered a set of 4 sleaved 4pin RGB extensions to use. They should get here tomorrow, so I’ll be able to lock down the center console for good!!
Not sure if you noticed but I’ve gone with frosting the Plexi. I was getting irritated with the almost glass-like reflection off of it, so I just buffed it down with a sander and man I am loving the way it turned out. I’m doing it on all of it now. It just looks so much cleaner and softer. No more stupid reflections everywhere!!
Last, and certainly not least. After pouting about my stupid square being bent and causing me to quite possibly have to completely redo the MB plate again… I went to Harborfright (after getting a text for 25% off any one item) and got me a new comfy chair!! Been needing a replacement badly. Man, I love this thing, has wheels and is adjustable up and down. Made my knee very happy!
So that’s all I have for today, I’ll probably be updating quite a lot this weekend as it’s a nice 3 day weekend! Hoping to get some parts finalized and move on to actually putting this thing together!!