[Build log] Scoota Brotha build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build log] Scoota Brotha build

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
I can count to potato

Rep: 15 (Unique: 8)
[Build log] Scoota Brotha build

So I will start with some backstory on the title. The first time I went over to my best friends house to hang out we ended up riding around on some old Razor scooters that we found in his garage. Later we found this really dumb video
and started referring to each other as scoota brothas. 10 years later it's not uncommon to hear one of us say "Hey scoota" in casual conversation.

Now we live a little over 700 miles apart and don't get to hang out as often, but we still talk nearly every day. He has recently went through a series of unfortunate events. The readers digest condensed version is that funds are tight but he will be OK. We had been talking about both building new liquid cooled PC's this year and I'm gonna help make it happen for both of us.

He really doesn't wanting me spending a ton of money on this so I'm doing my best to go cheap where I can. It's his first custom loop so we are going with soft tubing so it will be easier for him to work on by himself.

The build

Case: Thermaltake Level 20 XT I'm going to paint it white and we will come up with some sort of vinyl decals for the tempered glass panels since he has a vinyl cutter.

Mobo/CPU: He lives by a Microcenter and he wants to use his holiday bonus to get this himself. Probably going to get a 3900x and a mid range board

GPU: Going to stick with 2x GTX 1070's for now. Current Nvidia prices are wack. He uses Octane render for Cinema 4D so AMD cards aren't an option.

RAM: I will probably just pick up a 2x16GB kit on sale to get him going and he can add another 32GB down the line.

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w Gold... It's no Seasonic Prime Ultra, but I had it just laying around so hopefully it doesn't give him any trouble

Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB WD Blue HDD, 2TB Toshiba HDD + whatever drives he brings over from his current build.

Lighting: Phanteks dRGB starter kit, XSPC twin 5mm LED (for the reservoir)

Cooling

Between new stuff purchases on the 4th of July sales at FrozenCPU and Performance PCs and used stuff from my personal stash, eBay, and r/hardwareswap on reddit, I managed to get great deals on most of this.

Radiators: 480mm Thicc XSPC, 360mm XSPC Both used, I blitz'ed them just to be safe.

Fans: 2x200mm Bitfenix spectre pro, 8x120mm Spectre pro, 3x120mm Spectre PWM, 2x140mm Noctua NF P14s redux-1200

Fittings: 12x Monsoon free center compression fittings 3/8x1/2" White, 2x Bitspower 45 degree rotaries, 2x Bitspower 90 degree rotaries, 2x Bitspower 5mm LED stop fitting, 1x XSPS rotary male to male, 1x Barrow ball valve white

Pump: Koolance PMP-450 (D5 Vario) in my old Swiftech MCP65X acrylic pump top

Reservoir: Frozenq 2016 limited edition reservoir, white. (fun fact, the top bracket holding the res on is part of an old Bitspower D5 bracket I had laying around that had the perfect hole spacing for the Frozenq res)

Blocks: EK Supremacy MX, 2x Swiftech KOMODO NV-LE GTX1080

Currently everything is pulled apart ready to prep for paint... The random mobo with the 8800gt was just to eyeball the clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scoota2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	288820  

Name:	IMG_20190618_170136434.jpg
Size:	4.60 MB
ID:	288822  

Name:	parts to paint.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	6.02 MB
ID:	288824  

Name:	IMG_20190813_174414187.jpg
Size:	5.00 MB
ID:	288826  

Name:	scoota1a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	6.90 MB
ID:	288854  

Name:	scoota3.jpg
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	288856  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
I can count to potato

Rep: 15 (Unique: 8)
Reserved for future pics
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 75 (Unique: 62)
Scoota brotha!!! The video gave me a good laugh.

I like the case's form factor. Looks to be not too tall while staying roomy enough for a full effort build. Looking forward to see how it all comes together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in