Thorzone Mjolnir Build [UNTITLED FOR NOW] - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Thorzone Mjolnir Build [UNTITLED FOR NOW]

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
SFF Lover

Rep: 68 (Unique: 52)
Thorzone Mjolnir Build [UNTITLED FOR NOW]

Hello everyone. It's been quite a few years since I've been here. I had quite a potent rig for a while, but I had to move and downsize. My last rig was in a Lian Li PC-O11 chasis, and was quite powerful. Honestly more powerful than I needed, and much larger. I've moved and finally settled in and am planning a new build, but it will still be no slouch. It's going to be quite a powerful little system for all my gaming, media creation and consumption, and light work needs. Now with that out of the way, let's dive into the parts, some details about them, and the planned build. I'd love to hear some feed back as this will be the first build I've done in a long time. Some choices are, though maybe more expensive done partly for aesthetic purposes, so please keep that in mind. The build will be following a black and silver anodized aluminum theme, with of course grayscale accent colors. Color splash will be provided via RGB and should look nice with no clashing colors in the mean time. Despite it's small size, it's going to be heavy due to all the aluminum and quality of components used.

Case: Thorzone Mjolnir R
In case many of you haven't heard, or learned of it yet, there is a new start up I've been following since their inception two and a half years ago called "Thorzone." They're planning on making a "minimalistic - but not boring" PC case. It's 9.7L in volume, so between a Ghost S1 and NCase M1. The case should be shipping in May of 2020, so, that when this will all ready start coming together. The package I've pre-purchased will come with a silver sand-blasted aluminum exterior, glass side panels (and ventilated ones as well), and RGB lighting. The case is rather expensive, I won't lie. But certainly unique and something a lot of people even in the already small SFF community won't be using.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
I really like ASUS' boards with their built in I/O shield. It looks very clean internally and externally. I also really like that the I/O cover on this board is actually a metal material. It's a Z390 chipset, with all the features I need. That's why it was chosen.

Processor: Intel Core i9-9900
I chose the Intel Core i9-9900 because it seems to be the "best" CPU I can get and still keep thermals relatively low on. I don't plan on doing much overclocking (we'll get back to this later) so, I went with a non-K skew CPU. It's 3.1GHz base speed, 8-core, 16-thread, and 65 watt thermal design power.

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum
I wavered back and forth between these and the new RGB models, but, I like the classier look of the regular Dominator Platinum. A 2x16GB kit at 3,000 MHz C15 latency will be plenty sufficient for my needs for years to come. I considered a 2x32GB kit as well, but, I don't think it's fully necessary for me and there currently aren't any available in a memory module that will match the build. The white LED's may clash with the RGB or rest of the build when the RGB is not displaying, so, I may do a small mod to hide the build in white LED's. Haven't decided yet.

Graphics Card: NVidia RTX 2080 Founder's Edition
A quality GPU. I'm slightly worried about thermals of it on air cooling, but, we'll see how the Mjolnir does. I don't mind modding less expensive components, but, I wouldn't like to mod a $650 GPU (in a way that voids warranty.) So, since the Founder's Edition was more preferable to my taste in style than the 2080 Super (or any after-board partner cards,) I sourced what seems to be one of the last new 2080 Founder's Edition cards on the market for the build.

Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 1TB
I've had great experience with Western Digital's mechanical "Black" series drives, and only heard good things about their solid state drives as well. It was, and kind of is still, a close toss up between a Samsung 970 Evo Plus. I've had bad experience with Samsung in the passed though, so, I'm willing to give Western Digital a chance here. Probably will start the build with 1 TB NVMe, and maybe add more storage later if I need it (or when it becomes cheaper.) I do have a 6TB WD Black mechanical HDD that's a NAS for the household though, so, on-system storage isn't the most important.

Power Supply: Corsair SF600
For power, I'll be getting the 600W, 80+ Platinum rendition of Corsair's SF series power supplies. 600W should be plentiful for any single-card setup in an ITX enclosure. I'll really only need four cables off the PSU, anyways. 24-pin ATX, 8-pin EPS, and 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe cables. I haven't decided yet if I'd like to do fully custom cables, or just go the easy route and do a cable-mod set. Custom cables would let me make some great looking wire runs (and as an Electrician by trade, that excites me), but having the time to actually make them all is something I won't necessarily have. We'll see what I decide.

Cooling: Noctua
I'm very partial to Noctua products. Normally, in a build meant for aesthetics they aren't the best choice. But getting back into the PC game I see Noctua finally has come around to everyone's wants, and made not "poop brown" products. The last time I remember them every doing that was just for the industrial line, or the special edition Linus Tech Tips NF-F12 fans. I'll be purchasing a Noctua NH-L9i Chromax.Black as the cooler (recommended for 65W TDP CPU's like the i9-9900), but replacing the fan with a Noctua NF-A9 Chromax.Black. Fun fact a lot of people don't know (which I do from a previous build), is if you put a 92x25mm fan on the NH-L9i it sits just about 1mm lower than something like Corsair Dominator Platinum (or any other "55mm height) memory modules and makes for a really sleek and flush look. The stock fan from the cooler, the Noctua NF-A9x15 Chromax.Black, will be used in a custom mod to make for quieter and more theme-matching change to the Corsair SF600. Lastly, for cooling, I'll have two Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax.Black fans inside the case, most likely as intake but we'll experiment with temperatures, to get all the airflow through.

Anyways, it'll be a while before this build is done. I hope some people find it interesting, and, I'll post updates as I buy parts and until the case eventually comes in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in