Project 4K Couch - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Project 4K Couch

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 10:46 AM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 734 (Unique: 386)
[quote=RB41;28308814]
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
very game dependent, and less than one title a year drops with genuine support.

many titles have "hacked" in support, that does little to actually increase performance, but it LOOKS like its working, so people go with it.

currently, GPUs with NVLink still use "SLI" bits/coding from what I understand.[/QUOTE

Check out some benchmarks, they really do scale, some games scale almost 95% and the worst scale in the 30% range.
i'm abundantly aware. 20x0 series is the first time I've not run 2+ GPUs since Fermi.

there's something those benchmarks tend to leave out, frame times. If you look deeper, while SLI will net you higher highs, it also nets you lower lows. SPECIALLY in games where support is hacked in.

typically, a single card is going to perform better, in anything with scaling under 50-60%. Why? No 1FPS valleys.

what i said is still quite accurate. It's rare these days for new titles to drop with support (for now) and many times, the hacked in support introduces issues that make the extra 20-30 frames not worth while.

with that said, there's also a small hand full of titles where it works flawlessly. They're the extreme minority. More times than not, I disabled my 2nd, n 3rd GPU in competitive titles due to increased stutter and latency.

now then, I'm still holding onto the fact that mGPU was a major selling point of DX12, and I'm glad to see Vulkan has decent support. (RDR2) but for now, unless you spend the majority of your time in the hand full of games with genuine quality support, it's a waste of time and money.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 01-30-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
[quote=skupples;28308818]
Quote: Originally Posted by RB41 View Post

i'm abundantly aware. 20x0 series is the first time I've not run 2+ GPUs since Fermi.

there's something those benchmarks tend to leave out, frame times. If you look deeper, while SLI will net you higher highs, it also nets you lower lows. SPECIALLY in games where support is hacked in.

typically, a single card is going to perform better, in anything with scaling under 50-60%. Why? No 1FPS valleys.

what i said is still quite accurate. It's rare these days for new titles to drop with support (for now) and many times, the hacked in support introduces issues that make the extra 20-30 frames not worth while.

with that said, there's also a small hand full of titles where it works flawlessly. They're the extreme minority. More times than not, I disabled my 2nd, n 3rd GPU in competitive titles due to increased stutter and latency.

now then, I'm still holding onto the fact that mGPU was a major selling point of DX12, and I'm glad to see Vulkan has decent support. (RDR2) but for now, unless you spend the majority of your time in the hand full of games with genuine quality support, it's a waste of time and money.

Ok well let the experiment begin.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 11:17 AM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 734 (Unique: 386)
just remember, if you see your GPUs hovering ~50% usage, then disable one for better overall experience. Lots of "hacked in support" titles just split the load across both cards.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in