Early 2010 Dream PC - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Early 2010 Dream PC

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Early 2010 Dream PC

Hello.

So, back in the days i had probably the best gaming pc that money could buy. I believe it was called the corsair dream pc, or something like that. I want to build it again, just to see how well it performs nowadays. Anyway, if i remember correctly, it was build on the x58 chipset with an evga classified 3-way sli motherboard, 3x4gb corsair dominator gt memory, a corsair liquid cpu cooler as well as a creative sound blaster x-fi fatal1ty soundcard. Sadly, i don't remember the rest of the stuff that corsair used to build it with, so perhaps someone could help me out? Also, where would be the best place to buy some of this stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	8
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	322820  

Last edited by Ultimatium; 03-22-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:33 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 736 (Unique: 388)
ebay/craigslist.

also, the tri-sli will only work in those old games you played back then. most newer stuff won't even utilize two.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 10:06 PM
RIP OCN

Rep: 28 (Unique: 21)
One of my systems is an x58 board with a xeon x5660 on an asus px586d-e board, did have crossfired 7970's in there until just recently. Even with the 7970's, it was an ok machine for gaming, but I definitely wouldn't build one in 2020, even if you can do so for a $300 or so... It's a power hungry platform and it's showing its age in many tasks. eg. Compiling a mid scale java ee application on my work 3700X takes about 7 seconds and takes about 40 seconds on the x58 system. Things have simply moved along too much to be worth spending any money on the platform unless you want to build a gaming system to run on your 60Hz 1080p tv.
I put a 1070Ti in it and it does perform nicely for gaming at 1440p 144hz, but it's a bit of a waste in many situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Well i was personally using an intel core i7 920 back in those days, but im pretty sure that a 980x or a 990x was able to outperform the xeon x5660, especially when overclocking.

Last edited by Ultimatium; 02-18-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in