Build Now or Wait? - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Build Now or Wait?

post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 02:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Zelo View Post
I was looking at the Phanteks Evolv X case where you can mount a itx mobo on the top for a dual pc system for streaming. Pretty interesting but I think the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL would have much better airflow. I just hope there's no stuttering while streaming on one cpu.

Depends on the actual cpu. But lian case is awesome. I was going to go for that but changed my mind at the last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by RajaKay View Post
Depends on the actual cpu. But lian case is awesome. I was going to go for that but changed my mind at the last minute.

Yeah I love this case as well. I knew cube cases would be popular the case I have now is the Corsair Air 540. I decided not to go dual pc for streaming since cpu's these days have so many cores I don't really see the point. Still haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.. I want to see what the new Intel cpu's have in store for us.
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 12:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yeah I love this case as well. I knew cube cases would be popular the case I have now is the Corsair Air 540. I decided not to go dual pc for streaming since cpu's these days have so many cores I don't really see the point. Still haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.. I want to see what the new Intel cpu's have in store for us.

Nice. I wouldn’t buy anything at launch. Prices are sky high and they always seem to have issues at first. Wait until prices fall a little.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
I red your comment about to much noise and heat, because of 2 builds.

First, i don't consider the current build you have, short by any means, for gaming alone. The issues you have idk what to tell you. GL.

Second. I don't know how to deal with overheating a room because of having 2 PCs, but i do know easy fix for noise, and i can give my opinion about heat.

For this current build you have, especially considering you have a exceptionally good case and a delided CPU, it's perfect to "silence" it.

Fill front of the case with fans. 3x120 or even 2x140+120mm with zip ties.
Use a big massive air cooler like nh d15 with a single fan, Le Grand Macho RT, so you don't have pump noise, and one fan makes less noise than 2. Don't worry about 1 slow fan on a big air cooler, as the rest of heavy lifting it's gonna be done by the front fans in line with the cooler
Modify GPU with 120mm fans, nf a12x25 or sw3 works perfectly. Don't use anything for the top, or rear, and remove PCIe brackets bellow GPU.

For gaming only or streaming with current voltages and frecuencies you shouldn't need more than 800-850rpm on case fans or CPU cooler. Actually i think you can do it with bellow 800rpm which is inaudible unless you focus your attention to the PC (no headphones no nothing, just at ambient noise).
GPU might need around 1000-1200 rpm if you push it hard and max overclocked, but since it's inside and the fans are oriented downwards, you can afford a bit more RPM for the same noise floor compared to front case fans. If you will use it for streaming only i think you can drop voltages or frecuencies on CPU (something like 1.2v 4.3ghz), and undervolt GPU while keeping stock frecuencies. That would give you even more headroom for dropping fan speeds, and will drastically reduce heat generated by the build.

I suggest doing the same for the new build.

The other solution is custom loop. Same noise results, but with 20°C inecesarily lower temps. The problem with a custom loop is that it needs more maintenance, more dust cleaning since you can't run the case (radiator fans) fans on 0rpm at low loads and idle, and pump never stops.

As for what route to take. My suggestion is to wait aswell. I don't expect much from Intel, but a slightly better 9900k for gaming alone with the other one you have for streaming it's a better option than a 12core gaming+streaming option.
If you take the route of the gaming+streaming build, unless you going for a custom loop build in which case i would suggest a meshify s2, you should ditch the AIO, and build in the air540 with an air cooler. The 540 it's one of the best airflow cases there is.

Last edited by Shenhua; 03-26-2020 at 06:25 AM.
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

What do you guys think about my updated build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AltCtrl/saved/sR68Jx

Will I be missing out on something going with the ROG STRIX Z490-A vs the ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO for example? Someone said the Strix doesn't have die-sense vcore is that important for overclocking these days?

The Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 is PCIe 4.0 but i know it's backward compatible with PCIe 3.0. Then my plan is when Intel 11th gen releases to do a drop in upgrade(assuming it's compatible with LGA1200) and get use out of the PCIe 4.0 speeds.

Is DDR-3200 plenty for ram speed? I could bump is up to possibly 3600 but speeds after that have a big price increase.

I'll be carrying over my 1080ti from my old build until the 3080ti releases. Let me know your thoughts keep in mind this will be a gaming/streaming pc.

Last edited by Zelo; 05-19-2020 at 12:53 PM.
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 890 (Unique: 643)
I would recommend a 360 rad at least.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-...io-cooler.html

By Built-in Benchmark Queen:
My 2.5 years old delidded 7980xe @ 4600mhz all core with 49ns memorylatency (4000c16 twekaed) is faster than 3950x max overclocked on water in every scenario. Pretty good for a ancient cpu
In gaming it has no chance vs my new 10900k @ 5400mhz and 4600c16 tweaked memory. ~35ns memorylatency.
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
3266/14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40/1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

The Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 is PCIe 4.0 but i know it's backward compatible with PCIe 3.0. Then my plan is when Intel 11th gen releases to do a drop in upgrade(assuming it's compatible with LGA1200) and get use out of the PCIe 4.0 speeds.

Just a heads up, according to this PCIe 4.0 chart only the Maximus XII Extreme will have 4.0 support on M.2 slots. This is not officially from Asus (they don't want people to know, off course) but seems legit.

post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
I would recommend a 360 rad at least.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-...io-cooler.html
Is 100C the thermal limit for CPU's still where it forces a restart? Maybe these new chips are designed to run hotter. A 360 rad sounds like a good idea regardless I'll look around.
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:23 PM
Avid Memer

Rep: 245 (Unique: 181)
I would probably want a 280mm or 360mm AIO if I'm going liquid. I would even consider a custom loop since you're clearly going for a certain aesthetic with all those RGB fans. As for the RAM, I would go for 3600 MHz. You're already spending so much on the CPU that it would seem a bit silly to save a little money on RAM. I would want to eke out the most performance I could. If that pushes you out of your budget, perhaps RGB RAM from a different manufacturer would suffice.

ITX gaming system
(17 items)
CPU
i9-9900KF
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS SGX
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Case
SilverStone FTZ01-E
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Deck Legend Fire
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 500
Mousepad
HyperX Fury S Cloud9 Edition
▲ hide details ▲
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Larkonian View Post
Just a heads up, according to this PCIe 4.0 chart only the Maximus XII Extreme will have 4.0 support on M.2 slots. This is not officially from Asus (they don't want people to know, off course) but seems legit.

Hmm maybe I should go with Gigabyte or MSI then.. $750 is a silly price for a motherboard. This intel release feels like a mess lol.

Last edited by Zelo; 05-19-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in