Overclock.net banner

Build Advice Requested

Tags
build
2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  b0sse 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Been awhile since I did my last build. Played around with pcpartpicker to come up with a first iteration. I kind of want to stay away from water-cooling, other than that I am open to suggestions. Please see link here: ( https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JrdrPn ). Does anyone see anything wrong, that seems off, or can be improved upon without increasing the budget?

Much Appriciated and Thanks,

#2 ·
step one: remove the nearly $400 worth of RGB fans.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello,

Thank you for the prompt replies, please see below:

Noted and removed.

You dont need a 1000 watt PSU and there are much better options than the EVGA G1+ such as the Seasonic Focus or Prime or its Asus/Antec/Phanteks rebrands
What are you going to be using this system for if its gaming dont bother you can get a faster system far cheaper and i second ditching the RGB fans
Swapped to the Seasonic Focus Prime as suggested.

Also why do you 960 Pro´s in there they have been replaced by the 970 and Samsung NVME drives are an overpriced ripoff and you can get drives almost as good far cheaper
Swapped for the 970s for now as suggested, but in place of this, what would you suggest?

And last the monitors you picked uses TN panels so the color reproduction and viewing angles sucks and there are far better monitors on the market
What would you suggest for a monitor that might be a better replacement? I saw the same info regarding TN when I was adding it, but a bunch of people said they were very impressed with it even though it used TN? I am open into swapping out though, do you have a few suggestions around the same price point?

Again, thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
You dont need a 1000 watt PSU and there are much better options than the EVGA G1+ such as the Seasonic Focus or Prime or its Asus/Antec/Phanteks rebrands
What are you going to be using this system for if its gaming dont bother you can get a faster system far cheaper and i second ditching the RGB fans

Also why do you 960 Pro´s in there they have been replaced by the 970 and Samsung NVME drives are an overpriced ripoff and you can get drives almost as good far cheaper
And last the monitors you picked uses TN panels so the color reproduction and viewing angles sucks and there are far better monitors on the market

#5 · (Edited)
Again is this a gaming build or a workstation or what will it be used for?
Do you have any work load or task that can even use a 24 core CPU? if not you can save a ton of money and move to an X570 motherboard and a 3900x or 3950x

As for the Samsung 970 like i said way overpriced and any of these are almost as good and way cheaper
https://www.overclock.net/forum/355...d-value-ssds-2019-1tb-phison-e12-toshiba.html

The best 1440P high refresh monitor out right now is the LG Gl850 which cost more than what you picked but if you move to X570/3900x-3950x instead and ditch the Samsung 970 you can save a ton of money which you can spend on the GL850 which is just far better

Also note that the MSI Gaming X is super long at 32,7cm and is one of the longest if not THE longest card on the market
Edit: almost forgot 128 GB of RAM is also massive overkill for almost anything you can throw at a PC unless its super heavy work loads and tasks or you are going to make a RAM disk

#6 ·
Oh boy, There are a lot of things to take into consideration:

Change those samsung ssds , there are a lot of cheaper and as good options out there, if you are gaming 75% of the time then a 3950x is a much better option, No need to go over 32GB at all (Even 16GB) unless you know you need the 128GB for some specific workload.

Not going with a custom loop at this price point is very hard to swallow and would recommend the D15 if you really want to go with air cooling as I remember reading it was the only viable option for "TR", Seasonic prime titanium is a must at this price point + the mobo can be upgraded.

Monitors would be discussed but for now lets call them a place holder

#7 ·
Hello,

Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated as I try and regain understanding of whats going on again, I have made some revisions, I have not swapped out the m.2s yet, I think thats next on the list. I changed the ram out for RAM thats a little faster, but maybe too cheap and do you think I should step down the power-supply still? Also swapped the monitors for the suggested, see below link:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fpWyZf

Also do you think a O11DXL-1 would be good as well to reduce strain on the board, or is that a non-issue?

Thanks,

#8 · (Edited)
Not to be rude but you have still not answered the question i have asked twice now what is this build for?
I am just trying to understand what you want to do with this so i can give some feedback on it

#9 ·
You have still not answered the question i have asked twice now what is this build for?
Hey,

Sorry about that. So basically it will be a mixed usage. I have a large media server that will be running on it with maybe 1-2 users concurrently at most times where trans-coding may be taking place. In the off time being utilized for gaming.

Thanks,

EDIT: I swapped out the RAM for less, just had 128GB for starting, I swapped for a faster speed and less size.

#10 ·
Alright so its work loads where a 24 core CPU and 64 GB RAM is actually useful?
You dont need thermal paste by the way there is some included with the CPU cooler

And did you double check that the RAM you picked can work with the motherboard?
If you go to the MSI website and look up the motherboard you can find a RAM compatibility list

• Rep+
Reactions: Chopes
#15 ·
4133 MHz is very fast and have you considered that the speed might not be a benefit at all?
I am not a RAM or AMD expert but i do know that with Zen 2 once you go above 3600 MHz the AMD clock speeds needs to go down which means its actually slower not faster

A 64 GB 3600 MHz kit from the list might be a better idea but i like i said i am not an expert but you should look into that

#16 ·
A0 4000 Viper B-dies will work, but he will need to use the DRAM calculator for it
Still looks overkill, these likely will run at 3600CL16 x8 dimms , unless OP reads 1usmus threadripper review

Thinking if he should pick 4400 Vipers, as they are A2 layout
But going 8 dimms on quad channel is still not thaat optimal
Going with 4x16gb would be a better option
As the budget is huge, likely considering the Crucial Ballistix Max 4000 kits as good middle point
8 dimms is still a bit too much for this old memory controller on 3rd gen, but 4x3733MT/s can run
Just 8 will be useless stress he can save himself the hassle on

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7RxWjp
Expensive and minimalistic
Would love to trow some cable extensions in something near gray-black-white accents look but it would be too much

RGB you have subtle on the chipset ~ picked the board because of the unlocked bios and better specs
Subtle on the memory and only at the front on the sides
I actually would grab the aorus 2080ti here - it's a bit of a better card, even the lightning if it was available ~ but it costs more
PSU sadly you pay the covid price or shipment lockdown
A superflower leadex titanium unit would be a good option but it's gone

Fans are for thinstack rads
It's rly a pain on this budget not to go custom loop, but at least it's prepared for
Prefer this case over the O11 on many parts, but the price to spare for fans and focusing only on HF Fan-sets makes it easier than with the O11

Kryo 1g is enough for 3 ryzen applications
Soo it should be fine for just 1 cpu - been using a 1950X, and can confirm it works
Just grab some nitrile gloves for spreading ~ better and easier than with the spatula :)
In-case you somehow "overshoot" :p it away, the cooler would have some with it - but it's also only 1g, soo use nitrile gloves for the least waste of thermal paste

#17 ·
I have the Phanteks 719 and an MSI Gaming X card and its so long that it will block some of the HDD mounts in the front so if you want a 719 and have HDD´s in the front you dont want a super long GPU like the gaming X

This is my system and yes i know the cable management sucks but its an old picture and i cleaned it up after i took it and never bothered to take a new picture

Attachments

#18 ·
This actually makes me question his cable management on the SSI EEB Board :thinking:
should be fine but tight ^^'
Yep thank you for the picture :thumb:
~ i mean at the bottom is enough space, if he isn't going for a dual system build

He could just pick the Aorus Card if budget is no problem :rolleyes: :p

#20 · (Edited)
@shilka what are these bronze/golden braided cables near the drive cage :eek:
Those are CableMod SATA cables and they are gold the other 2 are black but the black plastic cables going to the front have been replaced with some older red CableMod SATA cables i have laying around

The reason for that is i learned the hard way its a complete nightmare trying to figure out which cable is which number when they are all the same color so what i did is i bought 2 gold 2 black and i re-used 2 of my red cables that way i know that the gold are cable 1 and 2 the black are 3 and 4 and the red are 5 and 6

I also have labels on them so i know which gold black and red are the first and second and it makes my life much easier when i have to deal with drives or cables

#22 ·
When you for the 8th time have to stick your whole head into the main chamber to figure out which SATA cable goes to which port you get fed up
Having them color coded and labeled looks worse yes but its worth it when it saves so much time and hassle

I actually bought some silver ones as well but i found them to be too out of place and too ugly

#23 ·
Again, thank you for the feedback.

Please see below link for revised build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4C7yZf

Another thing that I noted was on the case, I don't think it comes with any fans included, is this correct? So I would assume I would need to get the following as well?

3x 120mm fans for top
3x 120mm fans for bottom
1x 120mm fan for rear
3x 120mm fans for side

Are mounts already available with the case?

Thanks,

#26 ·
You don't need to get everyone of each fans,
3 i added before where enough because these are airflow oriented and spread everywhere - not on a centered line
just positive pressure is enough here
could go 4x 120mm at the front, but 3x 140 is easier - later also counting for when you go custom loop
As 3x 140 can be used at the bottom or the top

Doyll once he sees this thread, will help more on the airflow part
But usually 3 weak fans or 1 airflow focused , fill nearly the whole case
and having a soaking in aircooler, helps airlfow even more
Soo don't overthink it
There is no need to use 6-8 fans in a case, just because it can

#24 ·
The Phanteks 719 does not come with any fans yes but the Lian Li O11D XL-X does

#25 · (Edited)
O11 Dynamic Xtra Large - Xtra True eXtended Advanced Technology eXtended Full Tower Computer Case

#27 ·
If you happen to have a good card right now, and it does what it needs to, I'd consider waiting for the 3080Ti unless you have money to burn.

#31 · (Edited)
For the mentioned use case I would reconsider the TR CPU, 3950X will perform probably as good.
Just take a step back and think about it, 3950X has more power than a server Xeon CPU for thousands of $ just a year back!

Also consider to have 2 different M2 SSDs one for heavy IO and constant read/write (1Tb) and the other one for storage/access data (as big as you can).
I know many consider Samsung overpriced but specially the Pro versions are indestructible and made for constant load.

Ram with Ryzen 2 is a science for it self, generally low CL compensates high frequencies.
In other words 3600 cl16 is approximately as fast as 3200 cl14 (without going in to details).

Edit: Tons of typos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.