How-To: Rivets - Removing and Replacing - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How-To: Rivets - Removing and Replacing

post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Is he still around?!

Rep: 206 (Unique: 143)
I've seen a few posts on what they are, how you remove them, replace them, etc around the past week or so so heres a quick little post on rivets guys. Hope this helps anyone wanting (or thinking about) taking their case apart or affixing new peices. This post was taken and tweaked from my current build log. Hope this is helpful to someone!

First, a rivet before it is used and how it works.

These are the rivets you'll find in PC cases, pop-rivets. (In this picture) the top part above the 'head' is the actual rivet. The long piece behind that is what the rivet gun clamps onto. It pulls this rod down (or up, however you look at it) to the 'head' The end of the rod is larger than the sleeve of the rivet, thus making it buldge or split as the rod is pulled. This swells the rivet larger than the hole and holds the pieces you are riveting together. I found a good .gif of this. With the rivet gun.

Here you can see a rivet gun and the rivet. It pulls the rod into the 'sleeve' of the rivet and pulls the pieces tight. Once the rivet is tight the end of the rob breaks off and you are left with what you see on your case.

Just a quick cut-away of the used rivet.

So thats what is left. Just the top of the rivet and the bulged out bottom.

Removing rivets

To take a rivet off you simply find a drill bit a little larger than the hole in the head. All you are actually doing is drilling the head of the rivet off, thus in turn the back falls of and the pieces you are de-riveting is free.

Here you can see me drilling the head out. Also on the bit is a previously drilled rivet head. Don't worry, they always stick on the drill-bit like that,lol. Just take a pair are pliers, grip the leftover heads, and reverse the drill. Nice clean bit again!

Now we've drilled through the head and the bit actually (generally will) push the back half of the rivet off.

One clean hole ready for a new rivet!

And here is a rivet gun and rivet. Just put the new rivet in the hole, slide the gun over the top (the rod that sticks out) and clamp the handle down. You'll probably have to clamp it twice, just let the handle go, slide the gun down again, and regrip the handle. The gun has a pair of 'teeth' in the top and grips the rod and pulls it, thats how it works.

And if you don't have a tivet gun and want to grab one for yourself and your future modding, pop-rivet gun kits can be purchased from McMaster-Carr from $34.74 USD with a 200 piece assortment of rivets at http://www.mcmaster.com/ search for item number 6659A23

If you have any questions feel free to post here and me or some of the more advanced modders will be happy to help!

Syrillian: "Watch out World... here I come (rawwwr?)"
The life and continuance of Syrillian's Silentium: Repo and Syrillian's Silentium

The Rest of My Work -- Vapor Locked // Sanguineus Cinis Cineris // Hinges for Syrillian's Silentium // Project: Phoenix // Flip this Tower
Case Mod Comp '09 Intermediate Winner:
Chlokwork Orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Starting to become a BOFH

Rep: 364 (Unique: 304)
This is a fine tutorial to those who can't remove rivets lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif
The persistance of a human may never win against the persistance of time, but the fruits of the labors are wonderous to behold, even in our brevity.
⚜ R.I.P Syrillian ⚜
8/13/2011

post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Is he still around?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman786 View Post
This is a fine tutorial to those who can't remove rivets lol
Thanks

The life and continuance of Syrillian's Silentium: Repo and Syrillian's Silentium

The Rest of My Work -- Vapor Locked // Sanguineus Cinis Cineris // Hinges for Syrillian's Silentium // Project: Phoenix // Flip this Tower
Chlokwork Orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 833 (Unique: 580)
can you use rivits on say the glass for a side window with out it breaking?

post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Is he still around?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
can you use rivits on say the glass for a side window with out it breaking?
I haven't personally used them for that (maybe someone who has can pitch in?) but I'd try it on a spare piece of acrylic first.

I'm just guessing/assuming that if the acrylic was >3/8" thick it would hold up and not crack. But I would def try a rivet on a spare piece first.
(Personally, double sided tape works just as good [if not better] and can't be seen. Or screws, but thats just my .02)

Someone who has used them for this??

Chlokwork Orange

post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 221 (Unique: 187)
Not that my vote really matters, but I vote sticky. Rep+!

post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 87)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiiyah777 View Post
agreed.

this is actually what i needed too, cause i was planning on taking apart a case to paint it, and didnt really know the steps of reriveting a case.

bravo!

post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Whats the usual size for PC pop-rivets?

xfire - Onyxyth

post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Is he still around?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiiyah777 View Post
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrbit View Post
agreed.

this is actually what i needed too, cause i was planning on taking apart a case to paint it, and didnt really know the steps of reriveting a case.

bravo!
Glad this helped then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmtlhed View Post
Whats the usual size for PC pop-rivets?
IIRC I used a 1/8" rivet on my current build. I know for a fact I used a 9/64" drill-bit to drill them out.

Chlokwork Orange

post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 408 (Unique: 265)
They come in various sizes in steel, brass, aluminum and copper. If you are going to use them to mount acrylic use a backing washer and soft aluminum rivets to help prevent splitting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in