[Completed] M^4: L4D Workstation (Back from the Grave!) - Page 36 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Completed] M^4: L4D Workstation (Back from the Grave!)

post #351 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 2146 (Unique: 1310)
Ah I have to say, that gritty, apocalypse look is just really well done on it your tech station man!

Superb work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2560 (Unique: 1482)
ooohhh ... I wish that I still lived in Eugene. I'd ask if I could swing by and take a gander in person.

The air of "dystopia" that surrounds this mod is tangible.

Custom Case building, dream and build

Custom Cases: Obsidian Silence, Silentium, Halcyon, Anvil, Indigo
Case Mods: Liquid Chameleon, LC-Lan Box

"Semper Fidelis"

post #353 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 100)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CattleRustler View Post
congrats MC, the thing looks sick - you really captured the essence of that game
well done mate. good luck in the motm

can we get some pics (day and night) with the computer by itself on a table?
the other clutter in the pics kinda detracts
Thanks CR. Ya, I'll try to get some more pictures of it not surrounded by stuff. It was a little hard at that time because I'm still moving into my house so things are messy everywhere. If I place in the top 5 at PDXLAN14, then I'll have a way better shot. Although, I have to say, I don't think I'll be placing, but who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
Ah I have to say, that gritty, apocalypse look is just really well done on it your tech station man!

Superb work.
Thanks Tator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
ooohhh ... I wish that I still lived in Eugene. I'd ask if I could swing by and take a gander in person.

The air of "dystopia" that surrounds this mod is tangible.
Thanks Syr. If only I had a smoke machine that oozed from below, but I think the people around me would hate that haha.

I had just one person come by and notice it was a L4D mod yesterday, which is alright just cause it's the first day and people don't usually walk around looking at cases until today (which is the case mod contest) or on Sunday. Plus, my Portal case was the tallest case last time with my CCube sitting on top, so it attracted a lot of attention. We'll see. I need to go bug the Alienware guys about case mod (since they are running the L4D tourny). Maybe they'll give me a free shirt!

Completed Case Mods:
Portal: After the Explosion

Current Case Mod: Pulse^3

"Keep it up man thumb.gif It's not about us liking it, it's about you liking it, cause it's your mod. So don't let a bunch of ney sayers hold you back, because I say " - Tator Tot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #354 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2560 (Unique: 1482)
Smoke machine: perhaps a temporary one for a photo shoot; dry ice and water.

Custom Case building, dream and build

Custom Cases: Obsidian Silence, Silentium, Halcyon, Anvil, Indigo
Case Mods: Liquid Chameleon, LC-Lan Box

"Semper Fidelis"

post #355 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Alright, so the PDXLAN14 CPU Mag Case Mod Contest has been decided, after a whole hour of choosing a winner between 3 very good cases, here's the word. (word word, bird's the word, and the bird bird bird, bird is....oopz )

5th Place: Stacker (i thought it was ugly and nothing special so don't worry haha)

4th Place: UV Suitcase (it was really cool, but the guy used a spray can to hold it open....so it took away from the absolute beauty....eh)

3rd Place: Red DangerDen (it was really nice, red and white, beautiful)

Ok, then it got really intense. Because if you saw these two cases (which I'll show you guys later), you would know how hard it was.

2nd Place: Lego Construction Crane DangerDen (it was my boss's case and he should have won, it was the crowd favorite HAHA JUST LIKE MINE!!! ) He had the best idea for an HDD activity light. He used a Lego Welder guy and wired up a white LED to the Lego guy's welder. Amazing!!

1st Place: Chinese Symbols (it was well done, but eh, i liked the Lego one better)

What about me? Well, I got in the top 10. They didn't say, although I was the next person on the list when they ACTUALLY gave me a prize. I don't mean to bash them, but you gotta find a little humor in this. Last PDXLAN, they only gave a prize for 1st place, which is the standard $1500 & cover page. This one, first place got the same thing plus 2 GTX 275s. Second got a very nice PSU. Third got a P45 mobo. Fourth and Fifth each got a mouse. Not only that, but 6th-10th got a HUGE mousepad. Ya, I'm using it right now and it's awesome, but so big. Haha, I get a mousepad for getting 6th place and yet I got 2nd last time and got nothing.

"Ok, mcnaryxc, cool, but do you have any good news?" Yes! So, the guy who runs the CPU Mag contest, he actually came up to me and had a conversation, AKA, he recognized me! He talked to me about my L4D case and said thanks for making a mod but, as we both fully agreed, it's not something they would put on the cover. He asked me if anyone from CPU contacted me since then about my Portal case mod or anything, like to get some free swag or get the Portal work log, or "at least give me a free one year subscription to CPU Mag" (in his own words). I said no to all that, and he was very sorry and very taken back. He couldn't believe it. He told me to give him all my information (name, mailing address, email) and they were gonna hook me up.

Ok, but, the best part is that he was still VERY interested in my Portal mod. He wants me to stay in touch and he wants my work log from here. What was REALLY cool, is that I mentioned Syr's case mod that got publish a little while ago (when I mentioned OCN and the case mod community), and he knew about it!! It felt like a connection to Syr.

So, now I have to reassemble my Portal:ATE mod for professional photos, which means that I have to disassemble my L4D case mod. I know that this mod has had some mixed reactions to the people here on OCN, and that's understandable with such a case mod. I'm one of the very few who attempt to do "dirty" case mods in hopes of making it look good and get recognized. As much as it hurts me to do this to my work, my L4D mod will, instead, be going to storage in place of Portal:ATE. TBH, the L4D case mod is very poor in cooling and very awkward to lug around. And...well...I love my companion cube.

Don't fret. I will have final pictures taken, and it will be the FINAL FINAL pictures. And, later, I'll announce when I'm going to start work on my ASEC Turret mod. Sorry this is so long, but I felt like telling you guys this stuff. You deserve to hear it.

Stay tuned!

Completed Case Mods:

"Keep it up man thumb.gif It's not about us liking it, it's about you liking it, cause it's your mod. So don't let a bunch of ney sayers hold you back, because I say " - Tator Tot

post #356 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 355 (Unique: 285)

Join the OCN Fantasy English Premier League!!! poke.gif
ESI [email protected] -> Soloz Audio Reference RCA -> TCA Gizmo -> Onix SL-1 wire -> AV123 ELT525M's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif
The persistance of a human may never win against the persistance of time, but the fruits of the labors are wonderous to behold, even in our brevity.

post #357 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 224 (Unique: 196)
I've been following this build all the way through as I LOVE Left 4 Dead, got the 53,595 kills on the 360 .

I've voted for you in the MOTM and good luck to you!

Loving the work!

I like house music.

post #358 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daney View Post
I've been following this build all the way through as I LOVE Left 4 Dead, got the 53,595 kills on the 360 .

I've voted for you in the MOTM and good luck to you!

Loving the work!
Thanks Daney. I haven't gotten that many kills yet on L4D, but I'm working on it.

And thanks for the vote!

Completed Case Mods:

post #359 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 64)
Uh, you do know there's a zombie in there, right?

*shivers*

post #360 of 364 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 03:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 135)
I joined ocn just so I could tell you how great this build is.

Wonderful job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in