*Update* New i7 920 Build Project - DEFCON - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

*Update* New i7 920 Build Project - DEFCON

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
After running my current rig for 4+ years it's time for a new build.

Focus of the performance pieces is gaming and IT Pro work (VMs, etc), so memory and a quality video card(s) are going to be a focus here.

*Latest Update*
Well everything is purchased and installed. Only after purchases may be a BD Drive and a Fan Control panel, but definitely not show stoppers.

With all of the Red / Black going on between the case, mobo, video card, RAM, etc. I decided to name the system DEFCON, I figured I could always change it later :-P

Final Parts List:
Intel i7 920
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
EVGA X58 SLI Classified
Corsair Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM kit
XFX 5870 XXX Edition
Sony Optiarc 22x DVD Burner
2x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB Drives
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case

And Pics!

All of the nice new boxes:

The HAF 932:

All Built!

Front:

Internals:

There's a Red 120mm LED Fan set up on the top, a red added as part of the push-pull intake config on the H50, and an additional 120mm intake from the bottom of the case.

The lights aren't really bright at all, so not really a big red glow coming from in the case, I might rectify that but for now I'll just enjoy the performance bump

Quote:
So far all I have purchased are the following:

Intel i7 920
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler

I'm stuck on figuring out what mobo to go with, since I would like to reuse the Antec 900 case I currently have. To be honest, I'm not sure if an E-ATX would even fit in this case. The plan would be to take the current system I have (Hurricane) and put it into an existing HTPC case I have, and roll the old P4 stuff I have in that back into a Lian-Li PC65B that I have in the basement.

I've been looking at eVGA motherboards, but am open to whatever brand works well. I know the USB 3.0 boards are few and far between, and an add-in board should be pretty cheap, so that's not a requirement for the build.

I'll have more items defined after I work out the "Will an E-ATX mobo fit in an Antec 900 case" issue and go from there.

*Update 3/1/2010 *

So the parts list is getting a bit more solid here:
Intel i7 920
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
EVGA X58 SLI Classified
Corsair Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM kit
XFX 5870 XXX Edition

Still need to work on storage, media drives, and maybe a case.

sneaky.gif: : The Official Corsair H50 Hydro Series Club : : sneaky.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 196)
Depending on how much you can spend I'd go with an EVGA x58 SLI LE or x58 SLI, both are great motherboards. Other good motherboards are the Asus P6T, P6T Deluxe v2 and Rampage II Gene.

What RAM are you going to use?

My Subzero Runs Thread
^^ Updated 11/04/10

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 149 (Unique: 130)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Go with EVGA SLI
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 112 (Unique: 100)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186169

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130226

Those are my favorites. Great overclockers and crossfire at 16x 16x. They look mean too

DONATE IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN
August 13th, 2011. OCN remembers one of the greats.
I hope to meet you sometime when I take a visit to the big cloud in the sky. RIP Syrillian

Phenom II 945 4.005 GHzproof.gif <-first on OCN
Core i3 550 4333.76 mhzproof.gif

Represent the 520!
smile.gif
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
E-ATX boards will fit, but the 900 has very little cable management as it is, you'd be pushing it with an extended board. Like these guys said, P6T or the EVGA x58 SLI are both awesome boards, though I'm not a huge fan of the x58 SLI LE. If you're wanting USB3/Sata3, check out the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, also a pretty solid board.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 286 (Unique: 244)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
Depending on how much you can spend I'd go with an EVGA x58 SLI LE or x58 SLI, both are great motherboards. Other good motherboards are the Asus P6T, P6T Deluxe v2 and Rampage II Gene.

What RAM are you going to use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno5 View Post
Go with EVGA SLI
Microcenter has the i7 920 for 229 and the x58 SLI LE from evga for a cool $199. Just picked up a set today.

R.I.P. Syrillian - August 13, 2011
Amazing during your time here on earth, but your calling in heaven must be extraordinary.

About drbaltazar's translated posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat79 go_quote.gif

i like the!new GPU from AMD!this discovery( could mean !alot ! i like grapes!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClownie View Post
Microcenter has the i7 920 for 229 and the x58 SLI LE from evga for a cool $199. Just picked up a set today.
Awesome! With the right card positioning you can get a sound card, SATA 6Gbps, USB 3.0 and SLI on the x58 SLI LE. It's an awesome board. The EVGA x58 SLI can also support that, but at a higher cost. What it really comes down to is legacy support (LE doesn't have floppy/IDE) and bundled accessories. If the choice were between the two, you'd have to make a decision: is the extra cost worth it for the accessories and legacy support?

My Subzero Runs Thread
^^ Updated 11/04/10

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 286 (Unique: 244)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
Awesome! With the right card positioning you can get a sound card, SATA 6Gbps, USB 3.0 and SLI on the x58 SLI LE. It's an awesome board. The EVGA x58 SLI can also support that, but at a higher cost. What it really comes down to is legacy support (LE doesn't have floppy/IDE) and bundled accessories. If the choice were between the two, you'd have to make a decision: is the extra cost worth it for the accessories and legacy support?
Honestly, I don't think so. Boot of an IDE drive, and while its booting, go grab a pot of coffee, do the crossword, and change the laundry over

Also, with the cost of SATA devices now ($25 for a DVD-RW, $30-40 for a basic HDD) its really worth it.

Its one of those things that needs to be phased out, in all honesty. Microsoft put an EOL on WinXP, I think its time us power users do the same to IDE

R.I.P. Syrillian - August 13, 2011
Amazing during your time here on earth, but your calling in heaven must be extraordinary.

About drbaltazar's translated posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat79 go_quote.gif

i like the!new GPU from AMD!this discovery( could mean !alot ! i like grapes!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

But floppy drives look so cool! Then I guess it comes down to the accessories, which in my opinion is not worth it.

My Subzero Runs Thread
^^ Updated 11/04/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in