Project BRX - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Project BRX

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 15)
Alright...due to lack of current naming i am calling this project Black Red X (BRX) and i hope to God that i can come up with a better name by the end of this project.

You have seen people that submerge computer in and oil filled tank. Well, the computer case in this project WILL be the tank.

Right now, this ugly hunk of junk is the computer:

Yeah, pretty bad huh? I am even covering the non-existent floppy drive with tape.

This project is NOT about making this computer fast in any way. This is about making something like that look amazing for under $300.

What I plan on doing is adding a window (X with square in middle), painting it red and black, doing a few things to get it water tight. I have this planned and it will work, but it will take time.

That said, this is the official thread for turning that thing into a mean looking machine [although...the 533mhz is pathetic alongside 512mb of 100mhz ram].

So, lets see how it will turn out hmm?

UPDATE 1 - March 3rd 2010

Well, after a week or two of working in the shop it is starting to come together. Please note that welding with 1/16th inch sheet metal is a pain. Big sheets warp but i have to live with that. At least the sheet that warped is only the back panel.

Dis-assembly:

Yes, you do see a saw on the floor. Turns out the security hard-drive thingy (had a key-hole...but i didn't have a key) was unable to be removed from the case. Nothing a saw can't fix. 6gb of 5200rpm wasn't much to miss anyways [although...no damage to the HD occurred]

This is the case i will be working with. Sorta lame, but great potential.

The sanded down top piece. Nothing much happened. I did get it bent somewhat. I was trying to get it flat so we could lay it on the PlasmaCam, however if we bent any farther it would bend in the middle, and not the edges.

That would be the window. We needed a template because it wouldn't fit on the larger, automated machine.
>shown below<

One of my new friends I met at the ag shop had more experience with the handled plasma cutter...and it sort of scared me XD

Up until this point everything went smoothly.

Our insanely awesome ag teacher, Mr. Leslie came along during his cut. The cut made by my friend (Matt) was pretty terrible. It wasn't his fault per say. He was using the wrong head. So here comes super teacher whom grabs the right head. I compared the two cuts and it was....well...lets just say one was better than the other.

I had to grind the $%@^ out of the window to get it smooth. Luckily, it worked. Matt even helped sand the circular corners. [note that super Leslie had to come and show us how to assemble the sander >.<]

My perfect paint job. After 10 coats, the gloss red was FLAWLESS. I had one more coat to finish it up.

I showed Leslie, as he does a lot of painting classic cars. He said it was coming along great. I was just saying that the paint was still somewhat wet as Matt touched it and left a finger print. Later on (after I went through another can of red paint trying to fix that finger print) i got made, went totally overboard on red paint, and failed horribly.

I screwed up big, so i take a sander...to not completely dry paint [in my frenzy]. It made ridges, gummy areas....oh it was horrible. I gave up, waited a day, sanded the red, and am now painting it all black. >

On a lighter note, i got the cd tray removed.

On an even lighter note, the pump, radiator and tubing game.

I forgot to order the LED strip and extra fittings however >_>
(still trying to get dad to take the time to buy the two little things)

I will upload more pictures soon. The major issues with this are the warping of the back plate and the STUPID FRONT. Other than that, it is going great. I wish i could jump back in time and fix some minor mistakes, but what is done is done.

__________________________________________________ ____
During the build, i will take pictures. Do not expect regular updates as I probably won't work on this regularly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 40)
I know a teacher at my school who has a computer submerged in a fish tank like you are describing. The students love it haha

Have fun on your project

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Oh i will.

That would be cool to use water and have a fish in there ....however i am not sure how well the computer would fair.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Oh i will.

That would be cool to use water and have a fish in there ....however i am not sure how well the computer would fair.
Dont listen to this guy..... Water will FRY your COMPONENTS... and Fish A) will fry due to the heat of the fluid B) Cannot live in mineral oil...

You dont want it oil tight.... The Idea is to bare mount the parts to acrylic, then submerge them...the oil gets rid of the heat...(you cannot leave your computer on for more than 24 hours at a time I rekkon.....)

Ill shoot you a Pm

Need Blueprints? Contact me.

Your friendly(depends who you ask) Neighborhood blackhat....

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah, I know that XD

Thats why i said i am not sure how the computer would fair.

And i have this all planned out. It is going to be in a case, not an acrylic tank.

That is why i need it almost oil/water tight. I don't want it to leak out the back or sides. I will be drilling one small hole in the top so pressure doesn't build up.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Dont want fireworks?!?!

I would install a relief valve, or something similar... that way, you dont have to worry about getting dust in your oil...

Also, if its water tight, have you thought of adding a spiget to it, so when you change the oil, you dont need to flip the case over?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yep. I am going to have legs that allow for a nozzle and tube to come out of the bottom so it isn't too hard to empty.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Just a thought....keep the drive bays outside of the case..... I hear they wreak havok on them, as well as the fact that you really dont want hot oil on you every time you take out a DVD... just something I thought of...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah, I know. I am building a compartment for hard drives and then the DVD rom will be an external mount with wires feeding through.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Updated posts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in