Solo Bedroom Computer Flipped - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Solo Bedroom Computer Flipped

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
I like my Antec Solo. The main drawback is that the PSU is situated at the top of the case, so hot air from a (hot passive graphics card like mine) rises into the PSU causing it to ramp up. I'm a silent computer enthusiast and this PC sits in my bedroom, so I grumble anytime a fan ramps up.

So I flipped it.

Here's how,

Stage One
Removed the pesky PSU bar by drilling through these rivets,

Strip down the case,

The mobo tray and back panel were removed by simply drilling through the rivets on the bottom (not shown), back and front of the case (shown in green),

The back panel and motherboard tray was then removed,

Next, the motherboard tray and back plate are flipped upsided down and installed for a test fit. This took quite some force. The left side rivet holding the 5.25 bays had to be removed. Then I marked off where holes are to be drilled for future riveting. The case was lightly sanded with 120 grit sanding sponge before being painted.

Stage Two
Interior pieces painted gloss black,

To rerivet the case back together, I used simple 1/8 pop rivets and a manual riveting tool like this. The front left edge of the case required the drilling (green) and riveting (red) of these holes,

Holes were also drilled and riveted along the top edge of the case,

At the back, no new holes had to be drilled, as the three holes on the top and bottom panels align nicely despite the back plate being turned upsided down,

Once riveted, the case, assembled, making sure no metal shards were left over,

Here are some holes that I cut in the motherboard tray for the front panel wires to be routed under the mobo,

Two consecutive drilled holes make a good anchor for twist ties for cable management behind the mobo,

Next, I cut a piece of the motherboard tray so the PSU wires can pass behind the mobo. They are then lined with some 3/16" tubing, slit down the middle,

Stage Three
The computer, almost built,

Had a bit of issue with the CPU's heat going into the PSU causing it to ramp on idle, and my HD temps were a bit higher, so I ducted the PSU to the hard drive,

Duct made from cardboard lined with bristol board, ugly I know.

I even tried bending some sheet metal to use as hard drive heat sinks but that didn't help much,

My Simple Fan Controller: I used a 3 position toggle switch and some 1N4002 diodes in series to reduce the fan's voltage. An RPM header allows me to route the yellow wire back to the motherboard for speed monitoring.

Fan controller

Toggle switch mounted out back (The second toggle switch controls diode 6 (CPU Fan); optional)

Simple Schematic:

I would appreciate your feedback, comments and questions.

PS: Go easy on me, I'm new to this forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 684 (Unique: 367)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 79)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Looks great. I've been thinking of doing this with my case. The only thing I can see I would have done differently is to cut a hole in the bottom of the case below the PSU and mount the PSU right side up so it draws air in from outside the case instead of from the inside.
Two reasons I didn't: I didn't want to cut a big hole in my SOLO's nice black finish, and the PSU's cables would be coming out the right side, screwing up my cable management with the mobo on the left side. Though I may try this with my upcoming A300 case mod and add a filter and higher case feet.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 213 (Unique: 185)
I love flipped cases,i have my stacker 832 flipped to btx with all ek water blocks on my rig.
I got 2 gpus in my case with the Ek plexi full cover blocks and now the case is flipped you can actually see the coolant going round the block,makes case bit more interesting.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 523 (Unique: 413)
Best looking Antec I've ever seen, whichs ays a lot actually. The only thing I would suggest, with such a nice paint job and all the work, is better ties/clips for cable management. Other than that, great job! +Rep for going into such great detail.

CaseLabs
Media Machinist
Don't forget to Join us on FaceBook!
Follow us on Twitter @CaseLabsUSA
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj1977 View Post
I love flipped cases,i have my stacker 832 flipped to btx with all ek water blocks on my rig.
Link on this please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
The only thing I would suggest, with such a nice paint job and all the work, is better ties/clips for cable management.
You mean zip ties? I don't like using those because I'd have to cut them off if I have to grab a cable to connect something, twist ties are faster and reuseable. IMO the case isn't that great for cable management, there isn't much space behind the mobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Other than that, great job! +Rep for going into such great detail.
Yay! My first rep!

Thanks

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 523 (Unique: 413)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkar9 View Post
Link on this please.

You mean zip ties? I don't like using those because I'd have to cut them off if I have to grab a cable to connect something, twist ties are faster and reuseable. IMO the case isn't that great for cable management, there isn't much space behind the mobo.

Yay! My first rep!

Thanks
Nope, not Zip ties. Velcro ties or even better, something like what's on this site: http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-cable-assemblies.htm

Also, their cable sleeving is the awesome. High quality products on that site.

CaseLabs
Media Machinist
Don't forget to Join us on FaceBook!
Follow us on Twitter @CaseLabsUSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in