The Ashley Work Log - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Ashley Work Log

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 04:57 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 209)
Hey dude I also have the antec 900 and I also love it to death! How did you install the 3rd fan up top when it only comes with 2? Also is the black interior paint powder coating? I would definitely use your mods for my mod as well! This is what I've always wanted to do!

Also, I believe you're in the right section in terms of build logs!

Yin & Yang
(15 items)
CPU
i7-4790k
Motherboard
Asus Z97I-Plus
GPU
EVGA FTW3 1080Ti (Hybrid Kit)
RAM
Kingston Hyper X Fury 16 GB 1866Mhz
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic P660X
Cooling
ID Cooling Frostflow+ 240
Case
NZXT H400i
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Monitor
Asus PB278Q
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 TKL
Mouse
Logitech G102 Prodigy
Mouse
Razer Sphex
Audio
Fiio E17 / E9K
Audio
Fidelio X2
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 114 (Unique: 81)
1. Beginnings of the Journey

So these happened a long while back. I just figured I'd archive my previous mods and upgrades in here as well. Keeping it nice and simple. I couldn't find any better pictures than my cell phone so these will have to do for now. Hopefully when I get my rig up and running again, I can browse through my old photos and find some better pictures.

Here are me and my buddies 300. We modded our towers at the same time. We also ate watermelon cut in half with a spoon. It was a good summer.

Even painted the HDD cages back then. Sadly, I am only using one now.

I then went over to my job to borrow some heatshrink and use their soldering iron.

I later learned the hard way that extending the CCFL wires would greatly reduce it's luminance. I googled for so long wondering why my lights were so dim. Then BOOM. Oh well, a simple snip and re-solder fixed everything up.

I love receiving packages. Here we have a plethora of goodies just to pretty things up.

Then putting it all together, and final shots.

Ooo I found a pic with a side panel. Still looks like there isn't one though lol.

And that was it. Next is just catching up to how it looks today, then to what has actually been done to it recently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

2. Watercool Upgrade to Now

Maybe about 2-3 months after the first mod onto this case, I dipped my big toe into watercooling. Here is the process, flukes, and end results. Let's start off with some gear.

But with that res top on the pump, compression fittings won't fit. Silly ol' me decided to sand it down a bit, just enough for a compression fitting to fit. I later find that was a horrible idea.

Off to leak testing

Oh no ...

With the help of OCN, I was able to fix it with a little bit of silicone caulk. Continued on leak testing which lead to a successful test ... for about 3 months then it my res started leaking again lol!

Tearing the case apart ... again.

Now it's time to put that radiator in the tower. I wanted an internal loop so I had to fit it in there some way. This is the way I decided to go:

Went over to home depot, bought some aluminum bars and went at it with the drill. These pictures are before I moved it a little bit to the left. If it is dead center, it will be blocking the motherboard. If the radiator is to the very left, touching the side wall, it will fit. This is what I mean:

Then just fitting everything into the case.

Didn't have any other idea as to how I should stick my pump/res in there, so I had to use what I had at my house. It turned out ... well it worked at least.

Yup, that there is a monstrosity made out of angle brackets. Once I have the placement of all my parts, I tossed everything in there, snapped some pics, and lived happily for about 3 months.

Now, I will actually get to stuff I have been doing for the last couple of frustrating weeks.

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

3. Disassembly & Side Panel

Down with the old, up with the new! I decided to upgrade to the x58 platform. So I traded off my cpu, mobo, and ram for an x58 mobo, and 6gb ram. I thought it was pretty equal trade. Then I went off and purchased an i7 920 from another OCN member. So now, I have to tear it apart, and box up my parts. I also decided to switch out the fans because my 200mm NZXT crapped out. It's probably because I have the 2x 2k Ultra Kazes blowing at it from the radiator but meh.

I was getting tired of the full window. So I purchased a right side panel from the Antec spare parts site and a smoke acrylic panel from PPC. Panel came in first so I cut out the window. I got me a new jigsaw, so that was pretty fun.

I know I shouldn't have, but I repainted my side panel because of some scuff marks I stupidly made. This turned out to be the worst idea in the project. You'll find out later why. But right now, you will see it was very streaky. It just wasn't a good day for me and spray paint. I will try again tomorrow.

A day or two passed, and my plexi came in. Neato. Chopped it up, and slapped that bad boy on ... totally forgetting I wanted to repaint the side panel. Oh well, I'll just cover it up.

See how bad the paint is? Yuck. So that was pretty much it for that adventure. Next is trying to repaint the side panel to remove the streaks.

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

4. Front Panel Mod

While I was looking through various threads, I saw kevingreenbmx's

Classy Machine. He had an update with his radiator panel and I really liked how it looked. So, in hopes kevingreenbmx does not mind, I stole his idea and am working it onto the Antec 900. My weapon of choice? Plexi. Just because I am confident at cutting straight lines in them.

Then my fan grill/filters came in from PPC!

A little bit of cleaning and removing the protective film.

I couldn't find plastic primer in a darker shade. So I had to use this one.

I attached the fan grills with 4010 tape. Stays pretty solid. But a good drop kick could remove it.

And this will be under the panel. I am only using 1 HDD cage and the other fans are being held by the little tabs from the mesh grills. I just removed the little tabs on some unused ones, painted them black, and screwed them onto the fan 'cage'. Hope that made sense.

The plexi was a tad too thick though. It did not give that bulged dome look. Home depot didn't have any aluminum sheets so I ordered some black aluminum from PPC and called it a day.

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post
Hey dude I also have the antec 900 and I also love it to death! How did you install the 3rd fan up top when it only comes with 2? Also is the black interior paint powder coating? I would definitely use your mods for my mod as well! This is what I've always wanted to do!

Also, I believe you're in the right section in terms of build logs!
Hah, through all the shuffling through pictures, I forgot to comment.

For the third fan up top, I bought another HDD cage from the Antec spare parts store. The black interior is just spray cans. I wish it were powder coated. Would've looked a little better and lasted a little longer.

Thanks for the interest

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 209)
Thanks for the help and the very good work log dude! I will definitely use this as my basis when I mod my antec 900!

Yin & Yang
(15 items)
CPU
i7-4790k
Motherboard
Asus Z97I-Plus
GPU
EVGA FTW3 1080Ti (Hybrid Kit)
RAM
Kingston Hyper X Fury 16 GB 1866Mhz
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic P660X
Cooling
ID Cooling Frostflow+ 240
Case
NZXT H400i
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Monitor
Asus PB278Q
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 TKL
Mouse
Logitech G102 Prodigy
Mouse
Razer Sphex
Audio
Fiio E17 / E9K
Audio
Fidelio X2
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 55 (Unique: 46)
Nice job man.

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The Murder & Test Fitting

So, after 4 tries, I finally got my side panel paint job perfect! No streaks. Looks clean. I was done. I remove the masking tape from the plexi and notice there are sticky residue. I bring out the ol' goo gone and then it happens. I get droplets of goo gone on my fresh paint job. You probably know where this goes. The goo gone ate through the paint and stained it. It looked horrible. I got pissed. And this is the end result

Yep, I tried saving it but got frustrated. Oh well. Time for a new side panel and plexi.

But good news! 2/3 of my parts came in. Just waiting on the CPU.

Now, time to see how it fits in the case. Sadly, my old board had a different layout so I was able to have the 240 rad up top. With the x58 layout and high ram heatsinks, I have to tuck the radiator into the drive bays like so:

That's pretty much it for today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in