[Sponsored] Mionix Castor Gaming Mouse review - by Ino - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Sponsored] Mionix Castor Gaming Mouse review - by Ino

post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Mouse reviewer

Rep: 405 (Unique: 238)
Mionix Castor

I’d like to present to OCN my impressions of the Castor, the newest mouse by Mionix. For starters I’m generally pleased with the mouse and how it performs right out of the box. My only critique is with the shape, but that is of course down to preference. And even that is just a minor downside for me on this mouse. More on that later.

AVJNfK9.jpg

Boxing

Yeah, it’s a very nice boxing, however I don’t really care for the box that much in a mouse. Still looks good if you want to put it on display.

What's included:
- Mionix Castor
- Manual
- Mionix Stickers

Box:

fnmQblH.jpg

TFa3LUs.jpg

0Cadp1M.jpg

Weight & Shape

The weight without cable is stated as 93.8 g by Mionix, which seems about right. It’s a tiny bit heavier than my ZA11 and in my opinion feels very good.

Weight: 93.8 g
Height: 40.16 mm
Width: 70.42 mm
Estimated width at grip position: 63 mm
Length: 122.46 mm
Number of buttons: 6
qVQQGyj.jpg

mPqxzF1.jpg

PJHbPM2.jpg

yJgC5yp.jpg

scK0vl0.jpg

0U4fRL6.jpg

lyyEZo3.jpg

The shape is a positive surprise to me, because I was sceptical of the right side indents for the fingers, fearing they would force the grip like the Naos does. But the mouse is actually grippable in many different ways. Palm grip doesn’t really work for me because my fingers then go over the front of the mouse (20 cm hands), but claw and fingertip do. My natural grip is a palm-claw hybrid and works pretty well with the mouse too.

I’ve taken pictures of the way I’d hold the mouse for the specified grips for comparison. My way of holding it is with the thumb and the pinky on the sides, the ring finger on the ledge next to the RMB and the index and middle curled up a bit.

My grip (palm-claw hybrid)
rXwm1Ec.jpg

from below
rztwohG.jpg

from the top
DeZ8GJ8.jpg

from the side (you can see that only my pinky is at the side of the mouse)
BqJWsFc.jpg

I tried to simulate the other grips too as points of reference for others

Palm grip
DTPDq6v.jpg

from below
MLsfBWU.jpg

Fingertip
rXwm1Ec.jpg

from below
mfIifpl.jpg

Some comparison with other mice:

Next to EC2-A and Deathadder 3G
7ixkbuy.jpg

ZA11 - EC2-A - Castor - G402 - G100s
ZFJFMq7.jpg

Next to G303
FT6SJLs.jpg

In general the shape works really well, however there is one thing that I dislike, mainly because I feel that if it was different I could actually use this as my daily driver. And that is the slope of the thumb indent.

MZGSUTi.jpg

It is kind of difficult to explain with the pictures, but the slope is so steep that it pushes my thumb down when I press against it like I want to with my grip. This causes two things. My thumb touches the pad (which it usually does, but now with more force) and the force I apply has a kind of upward angle. See my terrible paint drawing here:

OlJeusM.png

In the beginning this was awkward for me and caused me to lift the mouse a bit with the thumb. I adjusted rather quickly to this and could perform just like I did with the ZA11, but I still feel that the thumb indent would be better gone and the left side straight. That would also make the mouse a bit wider which would be extra nice.

For comparison: My hand is around 20 cm from the tip of my middle finger to the base.

Of course shape is completely individual preference, so everyone has to try for himself in the end. The perfect shape for me might be horrible for others. So please keep the pictures of my grip in mind for comparison.

Sensor / Performance

I feel like this section of the reviews gets pointless with 3310 mice, because they all perform equally well. Minor differences in FW aside which I can’t prove or disprove anyway. So this time I’ll just cut the MouseTester screen drop and go with just one to show that it can reach 5 m/s easily.

Bzx8ROm.png

It was done on the G-SR at 1000 Hz polling. I did the test at 800, 1600 and 3200 too, no problems.

Speed related accuracy variance

There is a bit, like expected. Seems very consistent though.

CPI accuracy

The CPI is fairly accurate, always a bit lower than proclaimed, but not like it was with my Naos 7000

CPI steps up to 3200 CPI
EC1Vzav.png

And up to 10000 CPI

Q3FNNGp.png

Lift Off Distance

Can be set in the software, lowest notch makes it less than 1 CD, my guess would be 1 mm, highest makes it barely track at 2 CDs, so I assume something like 2.2 mm. Out of the box it is on the lower end, around 1 CD.

Buttons / Switches / Scroll Wheel

The buttons feel really good, very light yet crisp. They are definitely lighter than the Zowie switches and second only to the G303 buttons in my opinion. Switches used are D2FC-F7N(20M) for the main buttons, side buttons and profile switch are TTC (side buttons red, profile button white). I don’t know what kind of switch is used for the wheel, it’s a smaller square one.

ICDA2Bf.jpg

VogSQux.jpg

Build Quality

Very solid. Like I expected the mouse just feels solid when you hold it in your hand, the coating has a very high quality feel to it. Personally I always feel that rubber sides like for the thumb on this feel a bit cheap, but the one used here is a better example. The cable is braided, but flexible and light, not once did it bother me and I almost forgot to even mention it because that’s how little it got in the way.

Customization/Software

The software is actually an executable that you don’t need to install, it still has full functionality. It allows for full color customisation, 5 profiles, macros etc. You can see the options in the pictures below. One thing I’d wish for would be the option to change the different CPI values it cycles through. If you could set it to 2 for example I could easily use it to increase sensitivity as driver in BFBC2 and switch back to infantry sens when jumping out. Now I’d have to cycle through the third step to get back to the first.
Software Screencaps (Click to show)
Nd7RVhF.png

iBwPgYY.png

SYF9OQP.png

PkmFu1e.png

9uVN6xl.png

Conclusion

I like it, the promise of working for all grips actually is true in a way, although as you’d expect it is not perfect for every grip. I explained my gripes above which are my main reason for not using it over the ZA11, because otherwise it is definitely a worthy contender. I used it for quite some time and I felt right at home with my performance and never had any cramps or other severe grip issues. Nice clicks, good feeling, solid sensor. So it’s something that I can definitely recommend if you see the shape working for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Very nice review!
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 79)
Instead of spending money on the fancy packaging, they should have gave you a couple of extra mouse feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM
lololol

Rep: 373 (Unique: 154)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ino. View Post

I feel like this section of the reviews gets pointless with 3310 mice, because they all perform equally well. Minor differences in FW aside which I can’t prove or disprove anyway.
yes we can biggrin.gif blah i really need to continue writing my guide

from that picture i can tell
there's no finalmouse-style mcu smoothing
sensor updates motion registers 7200 times/second (?? 3310 is supposed to be 6500max. maybe new srom?)

if you do a slower swipe (~1m/s max) and see these peaks and features similar to this:
https://www.overclock.net/t/1554228/visualizing-smoothing-in-mousetester/10#post_24192901
that means there are framerate transitions and sensor smoothing causes those blips.

i'm curious because woll3 mentioned a few months back that there are new sroms for the 9800 family sensors with less smoothing.

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond
7980xe
(13 items)
(16 items)
CPU
7980xe direct die @ 4.4/4.2/4.2 GHz, 1.135V
Motherboard
x299 aorus master
GPU
strix 5700 xt oc
RAM
4x32gb crucial ballistix 3200cl16
Hard Drive
wd black sn750 1tb
Power Supply
seasonic snowsilent 1050
Cooling
3x nemesis gts 360mm, fans: gt 1850rpm
Case
lian li o11 dynamic
Operating System
win10
Monitor
viewsonic xg2703-gs
Keyboard
logitech g410
Mouse
logitech g pro wireless
Mousepad
supermat
CPU
4770k @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
maximus vii impact
GPU
nvidia gtx 970
RAM
crucial ballistix tactical 16gb
Hard Drive
crucial mx100
Power Supply
silverstone sx500-lg, fan removed
Cooling
nxzt x53
Case
ncase m1 v3
Operating System
gentoo
Operating System
win 7 ultimate
Monitor
sony gdm-fw900
Keyboard
kbp v80 matias quiet
Mouse
logitech g pro (3366)
Mousepad
allsop raindrop xl
Audio
chord mojo
Audio
sennheiser hd800
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 46)
Thanks for the review.
Strange that you prefer the ZA11 shape which is even thinner than the Castor.
But I mentioned prior to release that the thumb molds are a stupid thing to do. Flat sides is best.
An office Logitech RX250 is miles more comfortable and versatile than most so-called ergonomic mice.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 22)
How is the click latency compared to Logitech mice with the double click setting set on lowest (fastest)?

Give me dream claw/fingertip grip mouse pls
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Mouse reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsxcv View Post

yes we can biggrin.gif blah i really need to continue writing my guide

from that picture i can tell
there's no finalmouse-style mcu smoothing
sensor updates motion registers 7200 times/second (?? 3310 is supposed to be 6500max. maybe new srom?)

if you do a slower swipe (~1m/s max) and see these peaks and features similar to this:
https://www.overclock.net/t/1554228/visualizing-smoothing-in-mousetester/10#post_24192901
that means there are framerate transitions and sensor smoothing causes those blips.

i'm curious because woll3 mentioned a few months back that there are new sroms for the 9800 family sensors with less smoothing.

Go on and finish the guide so I can tell too biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by detto87 View Post

Thanks for the review.
Strange that you prefer the ZA11 shape which is even thinner than the Castor.
But I mentioned prior to release that the thumb molds are a stupid thing to do. Flat sides is best.
An office Logitech RX250 is miles more comfortable and versatile than most so-called ergonomic mice.

Yeah, I feel that with a flat side the Castor would win me over because then it would have a better angle of force and the width where I grip would be around 65-66 mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith Phantasm View Post

How is the click latency compared to Logitech mice with the double click setting set on lowest (fastest)?

Is there a known correlation between the double click setting and general click latency? I might do the bump test today against the G303.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Mouse reviewer

Click delay compared to a G303 seems to be 11 ms

A is Castor, B is G303
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:52 PM
lololol

Rep: 373 (Unique: 154)
Quote:

Is there a known correlation between the double click setting and general click latency? I might do the bump test today against the G303.
sort of. depends on the algorithm. for the naive algorithm/implementation, the minimum double click time is the latency for a click. that's why so many mice have >5ms click latencies
this is how it should be done: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/98644/debouncing-by-ignoring-data
you can increase the double click time arbitrarily without introducing any latency for button presses.

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond
7980xe
(13 items)
(16 items)
CPU
7980xe direct die @ 4.4/4.2/4.2 GHz, 1.135V
Motherboard
x299 aorus master
GPU
strix 5700 xt oc
RAM
4x32gb crucial ballistix 3200cl16
Hard Drive
wd black sn750 1tb
Power Supply
seasonic snowsilent 1050
Cooling
3x nemesis gts 360mm, fans: gt 1850rpm
Case
lian li o11 dynamic
Operating System
win10
Monitor
viewsonic xg2703-gs
Keyboard
logitech g410
Mouse
logitech g pro wireless
Mousepad
supermat
CPU
4770k @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
maximus vii impact
GPU
nvidia gtx 970
RAM
crucial ballistix tactical 16gb
Hard Drive
crucial mx100
Power Supply
silverstone sx500-lg, fan removed
Cooling
nxzt x53
Case
ncase m1 v3
Operating System
gentoo
Operating System
win 7 ultimate
Monitor
sony gdm-fw900
Keyboard
kbp v80 matias quiet
Mouse
logitech g pro (3366)
Mousepad
allsop raindrop xl
Audio
chord mojo
Audio
sennheiser hd800
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 AM
AAGGHH~ MY EYES~ AAGGHH~

Rep: 157 (Unique: 67)
Quote:

Click delay compared to a G303 seems to be 11 ms

A is Castor, B is G303

Hahahahahahahahah It's even higher then I expected. applaud.gif Not even gonna bother testing now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in