[OCN Labs] Intel Coffee Lake System Build & Overclocking Guide By Jeffrey Edson - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN Labs] Intel Coffee Lake System Build & Overclocking Guide By Jeffrey Edson

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Even though I don't own an 8700K, I found this to be a great general purpose article. Well written, very informative. Thank you for this! thumb.gif

Just wondering but, any chance you could do (or have done) a similar article for a Ryzen build? smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:17 PM
I TeK things...

Rep: 646 (Unique: 436)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmr Chick View Post

Even though I don't own an 8700K, I found this to be a great general purpose article. Well written, very informative. Thank you for this! thumb.gif

Just wondering but, any chance you could do (or have done) a similar article for a Ryzen build? smile.gif

https://www.overclock.net/t/1638008/how-to-build-a-ryzen-3-gaming-pc-by-jeffrey-edson

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damcrac View Post

Thank you. I should have stated that I will be setting up my new computer with the Asrock z370 Taichi. I'd assume the BIOS's are very similar. I was scanning through the owners manual last night, and didn't see very much detail so I really do appreciate the clarity.

I now have a good grasp on what Core Current Limit is, and that makes sense to me. You mention setting long/short durations to the desired package limits in watts. I'm assume I'm missing something, because I know 4095 watts isn't at one moment in time, or in seconds, as I thought that would be related to Long Duration Maintained settings.
Then the last question for this round, is the difference between Long and Short duration power limit essentially a 2 level protection? Difference being that the Short duration brings it down immediately, kind of like an emergency downclock. Which would mean, your settings(both long and short being the same value) would effectively bypass the long duration power limit leading to an immediate downclock instead of gradually. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

I will be using a Noctua NH-D15 for my 8700k, so I hope it will be decent enough to get me close to 5.0 without too many issues. Though without a delid, I'm not going to be too upset if I end in the 4.8 range.

NO, its just the highest limit the BIOS allows for this board(4095). The 4095 doesn't represent the time, it represents watts. In simplest terms, you have two power limits, power 1 normally represented as High and power level 2 as low. Really all this means is you have trip protection for your CPU and it ensures you don't overload your CPU. In my example, I wanted a higher limit which is "bad" but not harmful as long as you have efficient cooling. Like I said, this essentially allows better overclocking / performance out of your CPU. The idea is setting it much higher than the TDP so you never have to worry about downclocking on the CPU multiplier. Don't confuse this with Cstates, your CPU can still lower based on your power plan, its just saying here is the wattage I set for power 1 and power 2 backup and if we reach this point please downclock and lower power to save CPU. This has to do with phases as well, but that is an entire set of skills you learn from electrical engineering.

If you're worried about this your other option is just set it to AUTO and let the BIOS decide. Another way to look at this is that it's a ceiling, not that you will ever hit that wattage. It's just a point to protect the CPU, and the higher it is the better overclocking you can get because you won't have to worry about hitting any power limit walls.

Jeffrey M Edson
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmr Chick View Post

Thanks! +1 rep! thumb.gif

If you're interested in seeing something written here on the site, don't be shy. I would be more than happy to work something out if our viewers/readers would like specific content. I'm open to ideas and I am the OCN social media manager as well.

Jeffrey M Edson
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedson3614 View Post

NO, its just the highest limit the BIOS allows for this board(4095). The 4095 doesn't represent the time, it represents watts. In simplest terms, you have two power limits, power 1 normally represented as High and power level 2 as low. Really all this means is you have trip protection for your CPU and it ensures you don't overload your CPU. In my example, I wanted a higher limit which is "bad" but not harmful as long as you have efficient cooling. Like I said, this essentially allows better overclocking / performance out of your CPU.

If you're worried about this your other option is just set it to AUTO and let the BIOS decide. Another way to look at this is that it's a ceiling, not that you will ever hit that wattage. It's just a point to protect the CPU, and the higher it is the better overclocking you can get because you won't have to worry about hitting any power limit walls.

Perfect. I think I've got a decent understanding. I appreciate it, as I was looking for a better understanding on how to do a little more fine tuning other than just multiplier and voltage. Depending on how it performs temperature wise with my cooler, I may dabble with these settings. Appreciate the thurough explinations, especially saying my music degree doesn nothing for me here. +1 rep.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by damcrac View Post

Perfect. I think I've got a decent understanding. I appreciate it, as I was looking for a better understanding on how to do a little more fine tuning other than just multiplier and voltage. Depending on how it performs temperature wise with my cooler, I may dabble with these settings. Appreciate the thurough explinations, especially saying my music degree doesn nothing for me here. +1 rep.

I hope you are not offended, I just meant it’s not easy to always understand this kind of thing.

Jeffrey M Edson
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedson3614 View Post

I hope you are not offended, I just meant it’s not easy to always understand this kind of thing.

Not at all. I know the limitations of my knowledge and lack of expertise. Having spent 2 grand on this PC, I would like to get the most out of it, but want to do it safely(by being smart/knowledgeable). I don't want to just blindly set things I've seen in a youtube video, or read that someone has done it. Your explinations of what they do, and how they can impact performance/survivability is why I joined the site, as the idea of OC is very interesting to me. The more information I can absorb, the better prepared I will be.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:11 PM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Rep: 178 (Unique: 139)
Great work Jedson, really great read.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

Great work Jedson, really great read.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm really enjoying bringing more & more content to the OCN labs team, and it's always good to see when articles are helpful.

Jeffrey M Edson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in