[OCN Labs] Intel Coffee Lake System Build & Overclocking Guide By Jeffrey Edson - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[OCN Labs] Intel Coffee Lake System Build & Overclocking Guide By Jeffrey Edson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 02:07 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
ThomasMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 39
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I do not want to clutter up this thread, but since I am new to overclocking I would like to ask you a few questions.

I think I have successfully overclocked my i7-8700k to 4.7GHz.

MB: Asrock Z370 Taichi
Turbo 4.7 settings
CPU cache ratio 37
AVX offset ratio 2
fixed voltage @ 1.210
LLC - level 2




Someone told me to use offset voltage instead of fixed, but due to my habit I always run Windows with High Performance mode and therefore it seems I would not benefit from offset mode at all.

The questions are:
1. Is it bad for CPU to run Windows with High Performance mode 24/7?
2. Is it bad for CPU to run with fixed voltage 24/7 assuming the temperature and voltage is within safe ranges (e.g. not above 80°C under 100% load and up to 1.350)?
ThomasMW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Jedson3614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vestal NY
Posts: 1,567
Rep: 62 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMW View Post

I do not want to clutter up this thread, but since I am new to overclocking I would like to ask you a few questions.

I think I have successfully overclocked my i7-8700k to 4.7GHz.

MB: Asrock Z370 Taichi
Turbo 4.7 settings
CPU cache ratio 37
AVX offset ratio 2
fixed voltage @ 1.210
LLC - level 2




Someone told me to use offset voltage instead of fixed, but due to my habit I always run Windows with High Performance mode and therefore it seems I would not benefit from offset mode at all.

The questions are:
1. Is it bad for CPU to run Windows with High Performance mode 24/7?
2. Is it bad for CPU to run with fixed voltage 24/7 assuming the temperature and voltage is within safe ranges (e.g. not above 80°C under 100% load and up to 1.350)?

The offset is whats referred to as adaptive voltage or sometimes called offset. It can help you find a better balance of voltage with the built-in voltage regulator of the CPU. The offset can help you manually tune a voltage to be exactly in the area of where you want to be. If for example you know 1.25 is good, you can use an offset + or - to add or subtract voltage from what your CPU determines. This can help with lower voltages on idle and allow more when you need it on load. In simple terms, it takes your auto voltage and allows you to offset it + or -.

To answer your questions, it is fine to use high performance 24/7 as long as you are not above 80 deg Celsius, in my opinion, others may argue more. On the 8700K don't go above 1.35 and don't do 1.4 unless you have exotic custom cooling. 1.4 is the absolute limit. So as long as you have a safe stable overclock and voltage, high-performance power plan just means it will run at your overclock settings all the time. 4.7 GHz 24/7 for your example.

A fixed voltage is fine and means your CPU runs at that voltage no matter what load or idle conditions your CPU uses. That is why most people use CPU C-States. It can help reduce the load on your CPU when it's not necessary. That is why adaptive voltage or offset is good because it helps lower the voltage when idle. Lot of things to consider with a static voltage like VDROOP though.LLC Level 2 is a good start on ASRock boards.

Simple answer, it is fine to use static voltage 24/7, just keep an eye on temperatures, and while it does degrade the lifespan of your CPU to use more voltage, it should be fine 24/7 with adequate cooling. I would also enable C-States to help lower CPU speed when idle. If you use static or fixed voltage, just know your CPU stays at or around that number depending on your LLC. If you want lower voltage when idle, you need to use offset or adaptive.

Jeffrey M Edson
Jedson3614 is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:35 AM
DTR Enthusiast
 
bigkahuna360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,848
Rep: 142 (Unique: 122)
Reading this has me all giddy for my new laptop now! biggrin.gif

Funny quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifatech2120 go_quote.gif

Don't use software to overclock the CPU. It's not as reliable or as effective. Take off the skirt and go into the BIOS like a man.
Clubs (Click to show)
bigkahuna360 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Jedson3614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vestal NY
Posts: 1,567
Rep: 62 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

Reading this has me all giddy for my new laptop now! biggrin.gif

What laptop are you getting?

Jeffrey M Edson
Jedson3614 is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 02:10 PM
DTR Enthusiast
 
bigkahuna360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,848
Rep: 142 (Unique: 122)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedson3614 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

Reading this has me all giddy for my new laptop now! biggrin.gif

What laptop are you getting?

Eurocom Sky X4C

Got me an 8700k at 4.9GHz and a GTX 1070.

Funny quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifatech2120 go_quote.gif

Don't use software to overclock the CPU. It's not as reliable or as effective. Take off the skirt and go into the BIOS like a man.
Clubs (Click to show)
bigkahuna360 is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:20 AM
335is
 
NoGuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oakland Co, MI
Posts: 10,921
Rep: 769 (Unique: 312)
NoGuru is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off