[OCN LABS] ThermalTake Riing Trio 12 3 pack RGB fans Review - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] ThermalTake Riing Trio 12 3 pack RGB fans Review

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS] ThermalTake Riing Trio 12 3 pack RGB fans Review

So you’re looking for RGB fans? What’s that, you want addressable RGB fans? You want to be able to control them remotely? Well, I think ThermalTake has you covered.

Hey welcome back to the channel OCNer’s, bluedevil here again. RGB has literally exploded into the market. You really can’t go anywhere and not see a form of RGB. So I guess it’s no surprise that RGB PC fans are definitely here to stay. I could go as far as saying that the golden standard for case fan manufacturers is implementing some sort of RGB into their version of case fans. First there was 12 volt variants that, well, they did the trick if you didn't want to make seperate zones of LEDs different colors. For the most part, these versions became quite popular, however needed to run is the required 12 volt 4 pin header, and some even needed a breakout box if you didn't have that 12 volt header on your motherboard, even then you where limited in colors and effects. Then came along a new standard of RGB, 5 volt addressable. This changed a lot of things for the RGB world, it gave you more control than ever before. If you wanted to make each LED a different color, you could, provided you had that hard to find 5 volt 3 pin header on your motherboard. Ahh yes, now it’s 3 pin, *** I just got 4 pin though! Well I am gonna tell you straight off, DO NOT PLUG IN A 4 PIN INTO A 3 PIN AND VICE VERSA! YOU WILL DAMAGE SOMETHING. Now with that out of the way, ThermalTake has their own take on what an addressable RGB fan ecosystem should look and perform like.

Enter the ThermalTake Riing Trio 12 3 pack 120mm radiator fans. Each fan has 30 single LEDs that are customizable to the full RGB spectrum of colors, 16.8 million if you didn’t know already. In the package, you obviously get the 3 Riing Trio 12 fans, a Digital Lighting Controller, 4 pin floppy to MOLEX adaptor, yes I said MOLEX, USB 2.0 header to dual micro USB controller cable, bridge cable, and enough screws to mount to a case or radiator. Also included is a short strip of Velcro to attach the Digital Lighting Controller to the inside of your case.

First up, the Riing Trio 12 fans. Upon first glance, the fan blades appear smaller than traditional 120mm fans. Because they are smaller, the Riing Trio 12 fans measured about 98.4mm , while this Deepcool RGB 120mm fan measured 111.12mm. I know it’s not a lot, but I think the smaller fan blades are to make room for the additional housing of the diffused RGB ring on the inside wall of the fan housing. So something had to give. The fan blades and center hub are a nicely diffused plastic giving a more premium look and feel. The hydraulic bearing used in the Riing Trio is supposed to self lubricating, which extends the life of the fan. Moving to the outside, all 8 corners of the fan housing have rubber damping pads to lessen vibration to other components. Flipping the fan over, a larger than normal fan hub is present due to the inner LED ring. Then comes the REALLY long rubberized sleeved cables at 34 inches! These cables are by far the longest I have ever worked with. Inside a case, I could only imagine the spaghetti monster of cable mess that it would become. At the end of those cables however is what looks to be a USB 2.0 header but slightly different. The Riing Trio 12 fans are really meant to be used with ThermalTake’s own Digital Lighting Controller. This makes the Riing Trio fans very dependent on the Digital Lighting Controller and ThermalTake’s own ecosystem. Without the controller, the fans will not receive any power to even spin up, making them incompatible with other controllers and or brands of fans.

Next is the Digital Lighting Controller, which for me, is kinda a sore spot. This controller can be connected to more ThermalTake Digital Lighting Controllers, 16 to be precise. This can be done by flipping the DIP switches on the backside of the controller as well as connecting the bridge cable that is provided. Each Digital Lighting Controller can control the lighting and fan speed of up to 5 Thermaltake Riing Trio fans. Now this is my second Digital Lighting controller. The first one I received with my Riing Trio 12 kit worked with my Ryzen 7 system initially. The software which is TT RGB Plus, started giving weird errors, indicating something was wrong. Contacting Thermaltake, which IMO had quickly resolved the issue, sending out a replacement Digital Lighting Controller. Both my Intel i7 and Ryzen 7 systems both work with the replacement Digital Lighting Controller.

Alright so what about lighting effects, sound and performance? Well with the aid of the TT RGB Plus software, which offers tons of customization, 16 lighting effects without customizing anything! You can change any LED to any color you want, control the speed of the fans with preset performance, silence, or even control them with PWM if you so desire. The TT RGB Plus software is very intuitive yet overwhelming at the same time. The remote control function is dodgy at best. I never got it working with my Google Pixel 2 XL, however if you have Amazon’s Alexa or Razer Chroma, those might fair a bit better. A slight learning curve is required to understand all the functions it can provide. In terms of sound, the Riing Trio 12 fans are rated at 25.2db at 1500 RPM. Here is a quick sound clip of them running against the DeepCool RGB DF1202512CL-076.

So performance, is good with all things considered. Rated CFM is at 41.13, which is pretty standard for a 120mm radiator fan. Keep in mind anything above 40 CFM is “good enough” to push through just about any radiator. The Riing Trio 12 fans are a static pressure fan, meaning they have a more direct airflow pattern to focus cooling more of which to a watercooling radiator.

Wrapping things up, the Riing Trio 12 fans from ThermalTake are really nice fans with good static pressure, great lighting effects, however the connections on the fan headers are proprietary to only ThermalTake controllers. My experience with the Ryzen platform, could end up being a bad bug that had been already worked out, which it seems it has.

So the ThermalTake Riing Trio 12 120mm fans, receive a solid 4 out of 5 flames.

Ok guys, if you could please like and consider subscribing if you haven’t done so already, I will see you guys in the next one, bluedevil out.

Last edited by ENTERPRISE; 10-30-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:11 AM
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁

Rep: 336 (Unique: 271)
Really like the addition of the B-roll shots

Nice review, only complaint I may have is that there's maybe a bit too many jump cuts.

The audio thing is nice too. If you continue to do more fans, might be worth comparing them all at a set rpm (ie; 1000rpm or 800rpm) with a known load and seeing the temperature of your CPU, or set heat source relative to the ambient.

Glad you highlighted the fact of how crazy the ecosystem is per RGB device you have to buy into, I honestly didn't know that!

| This Cannot Continue | We Are Become As Gods | This Cannot Continue |

Vehicles:
Current: None.
Ex: '07 Fiat Palio, '07 Honda Accord Type-S
Illya
(26 items)
Yuki
(23 items)
CPU
Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 4000Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Cooling
EK Velocity CPU Block
Cooling
EK 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Block
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTX420
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS280
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS140
Cooling
EK D5 140 Glass Pump/res
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 165Hz 1440p
Monitor
I-INC 1920x1200 TN 27"
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennhesier HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Amp/DAC
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Audio
Edifier R1700BT
Other
Oculus Rift
CPU
Intel 2500K 5Ghz
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws X 2133Mhz 16GB
Hard Drive
120GB Corsair Neutron GTX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3 850W
Cooling
Hyper 212
Cooling
EK Vardar fans
Case
Corsair 270R w/TG mod
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
Monitor
I-Inc 1200p
Keyboard
Razer BlackWidow 2013
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Balanced DAC + Amp
Audio
Edifier R1700BT Speakers
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Other
Oculus Rift
Other
PS4 Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:44 PM
7nm Radeon Version Eleven

Quote: Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post
Nice review, only complaint I may have is that there's maybe a bit too many jump cuts.
I think they stood out in this video because the fans were programmed to smoothly change their colors, so any sudden color change indicated a jumpcut.

Other than that I thought it was a good video. Nice B-roll, nice transitions. The light ring looks really nice, but it sucks that they had to cut down the blade size. I guess there's always a tradeoff between style and function.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post
I think they stood out in this video because the fans were programmed to smoothly change their colors, so any sudden color change indicated a jumpcut.

Other than that I thought it was a good video. Nice B-roll, nice transitions. The light ring looks really nice, but it sucks that they had to cut down the blade size. I guess there's always a tradeoff between style and function. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
There usually is! Thanks for the positive comment! Much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in