[OCN Labs] NobleChairs Icon Review by Duality92 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN Labs] NobleChairs Icon Review by Duality92

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
No more emoji texts :(

[OCN Labs] NobleChairs Icon Review by Duality92

What’s up everyone! So, I’ve been using my Noblechairs Icon for a few months now, so it’s time to put out the review.

After reading up online on the now very vast market of computer chairs, while most of them are marketed as “gaming chairs” (likely referring to “still comfortable after long sitting sessions”), one stood out for me, that was the Noblechairs Icon line-up, unlike others, it was subtle, premium looking and I had seen nothing but good things being said on social media. It was then that I sent off an email to them about getting my hands on a sample as my old leather chair was starting to give out after 10+ years being sat on and wasn’t very adjustable, but still very comfortable.

I had them send the Gold/Black version, I felt it would sit well at my setup and not stick out like a sore thumb (unlike the two RGB builds on my desk). The day it got to my doorstep, I was quite surprised by the sheer weight of the box. I brought it in my workshop and was happy when I could put it down that’s for sure. It was then that began the adventure of assembly, the manual instructs you to assemble the chair with help from someone and we can clearly see why during the assembly, but it can be done solo. Even so, I’d still suggest having someone help with at least the back portion of the chair.

Assembly is quite easy and straight forward; there are a total of 4 hex bolts for the base and 4 hex bolts for the back rest (already installed loosely), then 2 smaller bolts for the covers that go over the back rest brackets. The manual is very clear and easy to follow. Overall assembly is really easy; the only part I needed to use the manual is for the base orientation, to make sure I had it the right way.

All the materials used in the construction of the chair feel ultra-premium, the stitching, the chromed portions of the arms, the fully aluminum casted base and included neck and lumbar pillows, even the packaging made the experience feel premium.

Now things get ever better, because any product isn’t worth purchasing if the customer service backing it makes the experience a nightmare. My experience is one that basically never happens when dealing with sponsored or review products, but my first sample wasn’t up to par, it just wasn’t at the height of what I felt Noblechairs was aiming for in terms of quality and premiumity (is that even a word? It is now.). In my day to day, I’m a QA Manager and I thought to myself, this chair wouldn’t have left my factory if I was manufacturing these chairs. At this point, you might be saying, “Well, isn’t that bad??”, but actually it’s quite the opposite, because after contacting Noblechairs, they offered to send me a second one, out of the same warehouse, to show this is an isolated issue, I also did some investigating on my own with people I know own Noblechairs chairs and none of them reported the issue I had with mine.

You might be wondering what the issue with my chair was, well, they were relatively minor. I’m assuming that their chairs when quality checked, get a marking on them from the inspector doing the inspection, both the back and seat had these, usually these just wipe off with a bit of rubbing, but on mine, it wouldn’t come off, so markings on the chair back and seat were clearly visible (too visible). The other issue I had was that the aluminum logo on the back had a grainy surface, which made aluminum stick out and made it look bad, as well as a being quite crooked. Both tiny, aesthetical issues, but didn’t fit the premium image I had of the company, neither did it rest well with them. The second chair I received did have the same markings, but much less visible and wiped off with a few strokes of clean damp cloth. These markings are normal since it proves the parts have been quality checked, but should be barely visible or entirely erased before packaging (and be removable if visible).

This made my experience feel even more premium as they could’ve just told me to clean my chair and redo my pictures to “hide” the logo or put Sharpie over it so it’s not visible.

Now, with my ultra-lengthy intro, let’s dive into the technical specs and use of this chair.

The arm rests are fully adjustable, they slide from left to right, rotate to some degree in both directions, you can bring them further up front or closer to the back rest and you can raise or lower them. On top of this, you can loosen the four bolts for each under the seat to bring the whole arm rest assembly closer or further to the seat, so that’s 5 total adjustable settings on them.

As far as the base goes, the stock gas shock is a tad high; being just the right height for my 5’10” frame at its lowest point, but there’s a shock with 3cm less height that is available for purchasing for shorter people or with shorter legs as ergonomically, your feet should lay flat on the ground. The whole base structure is made out of thick cast aluminum, then powder coated matte black. The wheels are nice, smooth, not too big and feel high quality, they insert easily into the base. The shock and shock cover are both as high quality as the rest of the chair, but I think the shorter shock should be included as default to cater to people shorter and taller than myself, which I think is more within the center of the average height of users.

The tilt lever and mechanism is easily usable and locks adequately when used as well as easily disengaged. For the height lever, it’s very smooth and doesn’t take too much for it to actuate, but enough to not accidently press it (unlike my work chair where I often hook it with my feet and it drops me about an inch suddenly, what a rush!). The location of these levers are easily accessible while sitting too, which is a sign of a properly thought out design. The seat and back are very firm at first, but quickly become the perfect density for my comfort (comfort is subjective, so I won’t dwell too much into this, but know it is a firm chair, so firm that the first two nights using it, I had lower back pains, but that quickly went away when I broke in the foam and adjusted the chair properly for my form and shape).

The lever for the back has a very stiff spring, so I wouldn’t suggest actuating it when you’re not sitting in the chair as I’m sure you could catapult stuff with the chair if needed (bonus, this chair could be used against zombies!). However, when sitting on it, it is easily adjustable and you can almost lay the back flat. When at its lowest position, I was not able to tip the chair over when laying down on it. This means the base is adequately positioned to prevent toppling over.

The included head cushion is soft, very comfortable when using, it also has anti slip backing so that when you have it installed it stays where you put it. The lumbar cushion for me, is too big, but is adequately sized when compared to ergonomic lumbar chair accessories (the mesh kind that strap onto chairs is sized similarly as far as thickness goes).

Logos are found on both cushions, on the pivot points covers for the backrest, two on the back rest; one aluminum in the middle at back level and that other stamped into the faux-leather at head level. I think it would’ve added a nice touch to have the Noblechairs name and logo on one of the base legs, but that’s totally my opinion.

I would give this chair an easy 4.5 out of 5 flames, but this is a pricey chair, but premium is pricey. If you’re in the market for a high quality, premium feeling chair, you’re not going to be looking at $200 chairs, this is the price bracket you’ll be in, so considering that, I can easily recommend the Noblechairs Icon to anyone in the market for a subtle, premium, fully adjustable, well-built chair. The customer support is above the vast majority of other computer enthusiast manufacturers, which I consider a great selling point. I removed a half flame because I think the shorter shock should be included instead of the one included and the longer one be available for purchase instead.

I hope you guys have enjoyed the read; I really enjoyed this chair and writing this review. I also want to thank Noblechairs again for supplying me these samples; I really hope to own more of your products in the future.

| Last Review : Noblechairs Icon | Overclock.net Facebook, Twitter and YouTube | Builds In Progress [The AORUS] [The POS] |

Last edited by ENTERPRISE; 02-22-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

up.

| Last Review : Noblechairs Icon | Overclock.net Facebook, Twitter and YouTube | Builds In Progress [The AORUS] [The POS] |

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 22)
Nice review!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 57 (Unique: 47)
I was expecting a higher price point after reading the review. Looks like a comfy and well built product!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by stangflyer View Post
Nice review!
Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
I was expecting a higher price point after reading the review. Looks like a comfy and well built product!
I know right?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in