[OCN LABS] Does better audio make a difference in gaming? Ft. SVS Sound Prime Wireless - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] Does better audio make a difference in gaming? Ft. SVS Sound Prime Wireless

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 AM
HEC Club

Rep: 846 (Unique: 579)
Quote: Originally Posted by thegreatsquare View Post
Is that system dedicated to a desktop PC area or a home theater setup which includes PC? I only have a HT system [currently an old Denon avr-1707 and a pair of Polk S20 [39hz-40khz] in 2.0 stereo, though I have an Onkyo NR676 still in the box until I decide on a new stand for everything]. A PS4 provides the main source of gaming with this audio system. I only hook up the laptop occasionally, the 676's front HDMI should increase the frequency that my laptop pulls console duties too. The 676 also upscales to 4k [in case my future UHDTV doesn't] and I'm curious if it does a passable job. I was semi-impressed seeing the Switch upscaled on a 65" 4k Samsung HDTV.
Since our conversation is veering far off the original topic, I am taking it to side chat. Hope you don't mind!

Proud Member of the [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club! http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/headphone.gifBecause perfect hair is overrated!
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
CPU
Intel i5-2500K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-M
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG Bluray Combo Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
Corsair H50
Case
Corsair Obsidian 350D
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional x64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U3415W
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
fUnc Mouse Mat
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Grace m9xx DAC/AMP
Audio
ELAC B6
Audio
Schiit Lyr 2
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable mod)
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 319 (Unique: 272)
Quote: Originally Posted by darklink View Post
I have a TX-NR676 and it doesn't upscale to 4K. The 676 just allows 4K pass through @ 60FPS (4:4:4 Chroma SDR and 4:2:2 Chroma HDR). However, my Samsung 55" KS8000 does upscale. I no longer have my PC running through the receiver but I do run my Nintendo Switch through it and everything looks pretty damn good. I have grown extremely fond of 4K HDR content on this setup (Apple TV 4K). The color is so rich and amazing. Onkyo has been my receiver of choice for about 10 years now. I know there are better options out there, but for the price ($330 on sale last summer), I have nothing bad to say about this receiver.
IDK where I got that idea in my head, but you are [unfortunately] correct. It wasn't why I bought it, it's was cheap [$250 +tx] and may just be a placeholder until I can do something bigger. Current dream system is an Outlaw Audio RR2160 and a pair of Triton 7, though I fear the speakers look too much like a $1300 set of cat scratching posts. Plus, I have to listen to my own advice and resist spending extra money unnecessarily.

Can anyone explain to me why MSI needs our laptops back on top of the wholesale price they're already more or less recouping from us with their GT72(s)/GT80(s) trade in program? MSI isn't a company you can trust!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post
Problem with speakers for gaming is the directional audio is always off. Most of us will never be able to set them up in a prefect environment to get correct directional sound. If you want the most immersive sound possible you're better off with headphones.
Headphones + a subwoofer is a real treat.

I run a Focusrite interface, powered JBL monitors, and a Monolith sub. I keep the monitors on a separate power strip so they can be switched off independently of the rest of the equipment. Main output and headphone level are separate knobs on the interface, so you can dial in the perfect amount of bass and still hear where everything is coming from with the headphones on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 AM
OCN Sales & Marketing

Am a big fan of both SVS and ELAC. The ELAC B6 bookshelf speakers are solid.

Your subwoofer recommendations are all good choices.

Quote: Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob View Post
For sure. Currently I am rocking the following:
- Denon AVR-988 receiver
- ELAC B6 bookshelf speakers
- SVS SB-2000 subwoofer
- Grace m9XX DAC/amp combo

For me though, I have always strove for higher quality since I listen to music on my PC all the time and wearing headphones for too long can get suffocating. That said, I am always curious of the impressions for those gamers who make that initial leap into the "audiophile" world. Do they find it worth it? What sounds different to them?

I also second the following from @thegreatsquare
- ELAC B6.2
- KEF Q100/150

My additional recommendations for you, if you are interested, are...

Active Speakers
- Edifier S2000Pro
- Swans M300

Passive Speakers
- Ascend Acoustics CBM-170
- JBL Studio 230
- Q Acoustics 3020i

Subwoofer
- Dayton Audio SUB-1500
- Bic Acoustech PL-200 II
- Monoprice Monolith 10
- HSU VTF-1 MK3

OCN Sales & Marketing
[email protected]
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Fluxmaven View Post
Headphones + a subwoofer is a real treat.

I run a Focusrite interface, powered JBL monitors, and a Monolith sub. I keep the monitors on a separate power strip so they can be switched off independently of the rest of the equipment. Main output and headphone level are separate knobs on the interface, so you can dial in the perfect amount of bass and still hear where everything is coming from with the headphones on.
How does this work? With the headphones on you won't hear the sub, you'll just feel the vibrations.

My Rig
(21 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Formula
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2 x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2 x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9 x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2 x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24 x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
How does this work? With the headphones on you won't hear the sub, you'll just feel the vibrations.
With closed back headphones with leather pads, maybe. With open back or closed back with velour pads, you can hear and feel the sub. If you play competitive FPS, you probably don't want the distraction of actually feeling explosions, but it's fun if you just game casually.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by darklink View Post
I have a TX-NR676 and it doesn't upscale to 4K. The 676 just allows 4K pass through @ 60FPS (4:4:4 Chroma SDR and 4:2:2 Chroma HDR). However, my Samsung 55" KS8000 does upscale. I no longer have my PC running through the receiver but I do run my Nintendo Switch through it and everything looks pretty damn good. I have grown extremely fond of 4K HDR content on this setup (Apple TV 4K). The color is so rich and amazing. Onkyo has been my receiver of choice for about 10 years now. I know there are better options out there, but for the price ($330 on sale last summer), I have nothing bad to say about this receiver.
Nothing wrong with Onkyo receivers they pack the best watt per dollar, and if you have ever looked at the bench tests on them. They are typically underrated on their power capabilities.
I know for a few years they had issues with the hdmi boards going out, this was around the time 4k was being added to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1244 go_quote.gif
Maybe I can come over to your house and we can play some SuperPi? Then later on we can set up a LAN and play 3D Mark Vantage?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Speaker placement is another tricky problem for having great sound in a room.
That's why when you listen at a shop or show floor it's much better.
I seat right in the middle with left & right speakers having same distance from the side walls. Placing them on top of isolation mount helps with desk reflection. Also got SVS SoundPath feet for my SB-1000 for better deep bass.
Dirac live room correction solves a lot of sweet spot issues as well.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:04 AM
HEC Club

Rep: 846 (Unique: 579)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blitzdog View Post
Am a big fan of both SVS and ELAC. The ELAC B6 bookshelf speakers are solid.

Your subwoofer recommendations are all good choices.
Thanks! I love my PC sound setup. Personally, I am a huge fan of SVS due to their customer service and ELAC's offerings with the Debut, Uni-Fi, and Adante line have been very impressive. Ascend Acoustics have also been praiseworthy as well.

One set of speakers that have really blown my mind recently though are the Klipsch RF-7 III's. I am not sure if it's the driver or the redesigned horn, but they are a very nice departure from the typical Klipsch horn sound and are now amazing sounding to me. When I upgrade my HT setup in the future, it's going to be tough choosing between them and the Martin Logan ESL.

Quote: Originally Posted by drewafx View Post
Speaker placement is another tricky problem for having great sound in a room.
That's why when you listen at a shop or show floor it's much better.
I seat right in the middle with left & right speakers having same distance from the side walls. Placing them on top of isolation mount helps with desk reflection. Also got SVS SoundPath feet for my SB-1000 for better deep bass.
Dirac live room correction solves a lot of sweet spot issues as well.
Room correction software such as Audyssey, Dirac, and Anthem have all come a long way in managing sound for multi-purpose rooms with HT setups via mitigating timbre mismatches via EQ, uneven distances for speaker placement via level and delay adjustments, seamless transitions between speakers to subwoofer via measured crossovers and stereo subwoofer adjustments, and sound interference via DSP filter.

While nothing still beats a dedicated HT room with proper acoustic treatment (real rockwool bass traps!), the gap isn't nearly as large anymore.

Proud Member of the [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club! http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/headphone.gifBecause perfect hair is overrated!
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
CPU
Intel i5-2500K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-M
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG Bluray Combo Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
Corsair H50
Case
Corsair Obsidian 350D
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional x64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U3415W
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
fUnc Mouse Mat
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Grace m9xx DAC/AMP
Audio
ELAC B6
Audio
Schiit Lyr 2
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable mod)
▲ hide details ▲

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 521 (Unique: 293)
this is exactly what I've been looking for to upgrade from my schiit stack & logi 2.1 that replaced a jank home rigged system of this, and that and "Does this work connected to a PC?" stuff.
+1 blue,

hope you keep getting juicy stuff to review.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in