[OCN LABS] 280MM CPU Cooling Fight! Enermax Liqtech II 280 AIO vs Swiftech H240X2 Prestige (custom water) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] 280MM CPU Cooling Fight! Enermax Liqtech II 280 AIO vs Swiftech H240X2 Prestige (custom water)

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS] 280MM CPU Cooling Fight! Enermax Liqtech II 280 AIO vs Swiftech H240X2 Prestige (custom water)

I have been an avid watercooler for quite a while, something like 10 years or so...So when a claim comes out saying that a 280mm radiator can dissipate 500 watts, well I want to know how. I have seen thick radiators that can’t dissipate half that amount, so what does Enermax have in terms of special sauce?

Intro

Hey what’s up OCNers! Bluedevil here. AIOs are pretty much the golden standard when it comes to high end CPU coolers. Those whom would want more, will go for more exotic cooling, or go custom water and I just happen to have a Swiftech H240X2 Prestige, which is part custom water, part AIO. So my question is, can the Enermax Liqtech 2 280mm beat the Swiftech H240X2 Prestige?

Now the Enermax Liqtech 2 series is being marketed as high efficiency performance, namely claiming to be able to support 500w+ TDP. Having a patented Shunt Channel Technology, which boosts thermal conductivity and increases the heat exchange rate by 30%. The integrated EF1 pump, which boosts it’s 7 times more powerful than other traditional AIO pumps. Taking both the EF1 and the Shunt Channel Technology, this might be Enermax’s secret in able to cool such a high TDP.

Now what would be an AIO be today without aRGB? Well surprisingly enough, there is only one element of aRGB, on the EF1 pump/block. It’s subtle, yet tasteful at the same time. Controlling it is easy from your 5v 3 pin header on your motherboard or by using the included wired controller. Which enables you to control up to ten preferred lighting effects with colors, brightness, and speed. Personally, the included controller, is great for people that haven’t yet upgraded to a motherboard that has a 5v 3 pin header.

The new 140mm fans might also add to the secret sauce that Enermax has been brewing up as well. The innovative high pressure fan blades are more of a swept blade design rather than traditional fan blades, rated to provide 32 to 81 cfm of static pressure through the aluminum 280mm radiator. Speaking of radiator, the FPI, or Fins Per Inch, also might be another ingredient on why the 500W TDP is present. Having a high FPI increases surface area, effectively allowing for more cooling headroom, which the Liqtech 2 280mm has a very tight fin stack.

Ok, enough talky talky, let’s look at some numbers

My bench system is a Intel 8700K overclocked to 5ghz, on an Asus Z370 Maximus X Code motherboard, 16GB of DDR4-3000 from Team Group, and a Zotac GTX 1070 Ti Amp Extreme. Also being an AIO test, this was performed on an open air test bench, the Streacom BC1. Installation was pretty standard, so if you have installed an AIO liquid cooler before, the Liqtech 2 280mm is no different.

Temp test

DB sound test

Alright, in the world of AIO coolers, the Liqtech 2 280mm offers some of the best cooling available. Just looking at my test results, I would say that if anyone wants near custom WC, with pretty much the same temps and noise, well the Liqtech 2 280 might be your next AIO. At $150, the Liqtech 2 280mm starting to skirt the pricing of some custom kits, that offer much more expandability. Even at sub $150, the Corsair H115i is quite popular, and should offer comparable performance.

Pricing aside, the Liqtech 2 280mm AIO is really nice. The finishes like the heatsinks on the side of the radiator, the rubber dampeners on both sides of the fan mounts, everything just feels polished. This brings me back to my original question, can and does the Liqtech 2 280mm dissipate 500 watts? I wouldn’t think a 280 aluminum radiator can.

Downsides are pricing with a dash of an overzealous dissipation claim.

With that 4 out of 5 flames.

Ok guys, it’s been real, it’s been fun, it’s been real fun. If you haven’t liked and subscribed by now, you know what to do!

bluedevil out.

AMAZON
Liqtech II 240
https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-LIQTE...language=en_US

Liqtech II 280

Liqtech II 360

NEWEGG
Liqtech II 240
http://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/90136...-091-_-Product

Liqtech II 280
http://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/90136...-092-_-Product

Liqtech II 360
http://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/90136...-093-_-Product

Product Link
https://www.enermaxusa.com/product.p...egory=20957352

Last edited by ENTERPRISE; 04-09-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:13 AM
Loosing Vision

Rep: 66 (Unique: 65)
I own a Enermax product (LEPA LC-240) and the cooler I had already posted why not to, or caution on buying.

First they are out marketing like all these days Boosting the product, but out of the box both time the one of the two cooling fans rattle horrendously and it is something they should check before packing or shipping for that matter. I don't enjoy expecting the product to be solid and it is faulty out of box.

The second thing is yes the unit lasted one month before the warranty was up. We relocated and after plugging up I was having issues with shutting down for no reason. Turns out the coolant had all but evaporated. After removing the unit shaking the radiator you could here very little coolant within.

After a rather hassle of a time trying to return they finally sent me a replacement unit, as I stated above out of box new wrapping defective fan. Don't get me wrong I do like the fan blade design but a bit more Q&A could prove better to the consumers.

As with any choice of AIO or Liquid Cooling do keep a factory or aftermarket CPU cooler on hand with extra Thermal Paste of choice.

Always have a backup. I not saying the units here are bad, I stating buyer beware as I found the elbows hoses from the block push pretty hard against my memory stick that places a lot of pressure on the mounting area. Again very thick hose as concept that it can maintain less chance of evaporation.

The product can work fine but Q&A should be a bit better, Some of these issue do not show till weeks or months of usage.
Enermax Support is rather shoddy to with all the requirement to take photos and removing this and that, only to get a refurbished unit with x2 new fans mounts and all.

Cheers!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:55 PM
External VRM FTW

Nice work! The video quality, editing, and B-roll footage was high quality.

Some friendly criticism... Here you have a powerful AIO which apparently deigned to handle modern high-wattage HEDT CPU's, but you didn't evaluate it's lofty claims. The company touts the 500+ watt TDP as if it was hard earned, and looking at their website it's clear they quite proud of it. In my opinion you didn't do the product justice by testing with an 8700k, which has a stock TDP of 95w. Even overclocked to 5G as you have done, you wont be anywhere near where you need to be to adequately test the claims of this AIO. I suppose that would be like trying to do a review for the new XMP-4800 DDR4 memory modules on a midrange 4-dimm gaming motherboard.

Cheers

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
[LGA115x] 8700k, 7700K, 7350k, G3258
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
[OCF FTW] X299 OCF, Z170M OCF, Z97 OCF
GPU
E-Power, G-Power, H-Power, A-Power
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200W
Cooling
Kingpin Cooling: Venom & T-REX
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by mllrkllr88 View Post
Nice work! The video quality, editing, and B-roll footage was high quality.

Some friendly criticism... Here you have a powerful AIO which apparently deigned to handle modern high-wattage HEDT CPU's, but you didn't evaluate it's lofty claims. The company touts the 500+ watt TDP as if it was hard earned, and looking at their website it's clear they quite proud of it. In my opinion you didn't do the product justice by testing with an 8700k, which has a stock TDP of 95w. Even overclocked to 5G as you have done, you wont be anywhere near where you need to be to adequately test the claims of this AIO. I suppose that would be like trying to do a review for the new XMP-4800 DDR4 memory modules on a midrange 4-dimm gaming motherboard.

Cheers [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/thumb.gif[/IMG]
Thank you for your appreciation to how hard the video work is.

Like I said on YT, I don't have a HEDT chip atm. I test with what I got. And no I am not sending it to you.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 PM
Hardware Maniac

Rep: 54 (Unique: 41)
They cooled fx 9590 with h100i back in the days..

Watercooler are just overated the 5 years old 280mm perform the same as a new one almost.

I wonder who build this one ? Is it asetek ?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:44 AM

Rep: 163 (Unique: 100)
Quote: Originally Posted by bonami2 View Post
Watercooler are just overated the 5 years old 280mm perform the same as a new one almost.
There is only so much you can improve a simple concept before you hit a brick wall. Watercooling simply moves the heat soak source from one location to another. When both an air cooler and water cooler are run under steady state conditions, it is the cooler with better thermal transfer and heat sink cooling that wins. Watercooling definitely has its uses, but like for like, assuming both coolers are as efficient as each other, the benefits of water cooling is: less lateral force on mobo CPU socket, more room for high profile DIMMs and more room to change PCIe devices.

CPU: i7-6950X @ 4.0Ghz (-0.08V Offset = 1.22V); Cache: 3.2GHz (1.07V); VCCIN: 1.90V @ LLC 5 12hr x265 (AVX2) Stable
RAM: 64GB @ 3000MHz (14-14-12-31 1T, 1.35V) 12hr GSAT Stable
GPU: EVGA Hybrid GTX 1070 @ 2076MHz Core, 8.6GHz VRAM, Stock Voltage 24hr [email protected] Stable

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:07 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1128 (Unique: 648)
Quote: Originally Posted by Desolutional View Post
more room for high profile DIMMs and more room to change PCIe devices.

kind of a blanket statement. unless you have an oddball and/or ITX motherboard, no heatsink should block a PCI-E slot. and there are plenty of good coolers (ala Le Grand Macho RT) that can accommodate DIMMs ∞ tall.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by BinaryBummer View Post
I own a Enermax product (LEPA LC-240) and the cooler I had already posted why not to, or caution on buying.

First they are out marketing like all these days Boosting the product, but out of the box both time the one of the two cooling fans rattle horrendously and it is something they should check before packing or shipping for that matter. I don't enjoy expecting the product to be solid and it is faulty out of box.

The second thing is yes the unit lasted one month before the warranty was up. We relocated and after plugging up I was having issues with shutting down for no reason. Turns out the coolant had all but evaporated. After removing the unit shaking the radiator you could here very little coolant within.

After a rather hassle of a time trying to return they finally sent me a replacement unit, as I stated above out of box new wrapping defective fan. Don't get me wrong I do like the fan blade design but a bit more Q&A could prove better to the consumers.

As with any choice of AIO or Liquid Cooling do keep a factory or aftermarket CPU cooler on hand with extra Thermal Paste of choice.

Always have a backup. I not saying the units here are bad, I stating buyer beware as I found the elbows hoses from the block push pretty hard against my memory stick that places a lot of pressure on the mounting area. Again very thick hose as concept that it can maintain less chance of evaporation.

The product can work fine but Q&A should be a bit better, Some of these issue do not show till weeks or months of usage.
Enermax Support is rather shoddy to with all the requirement to take photos and removing this and that, only to get a refurbished unit with x2 new fans mounts and all.

Cheers!
I have an Enermax Liqmax II 120S & one of the factory fans actually leaks oil! Not a ton, but it is noticeable. I had to have my wife confirm I wasn't crazy & just seeing things. I contacted Enermax about it, they suggested I detach the fan blades (btw, probably the greatest innovation to fans besides the "Fluid" or "Hydro" updated bearing designs) & reattach them after a minute or so. I guess to ensure it was correctly seated or something. They also told me if that didn't solve the problem to contact them & provide more information & pictures of the fan & serial numbers & whatnot, so they could open up a ticket for a warranty RMA.

I did as suggested in regards to the fan, making sure to clean the blades & frame thoroughly before mounting back on the rad, something that Enermax hadn't suggested I do. Well, it took about a week before I started to see the tell tale sign of the bearing weeping oil: a darkening of the back of the blades more prominent at the bottom of the blades, & a clearly visible ring of what would appear to be moisture (gee, I wonder why? ) all the way around the inside of the frame. I was checking it every time I shut down my rig, I'd shine my Fenix flashlight into the side window of my case & inspect the fan.

Now I have to dig up the email & the pics I took so I can have it fixed/replaced while it's still under warranty. It wasn't affecting the performance YET, but eventually it will. I have another fan, also an Enermax, a Vegas LED fan, in the defective one's place for now. Looks cooler, doesn't sling droplets of oil around, but it is more audible & lacks rubber on the corners to reduce vibration. Also, they aren't the Batwing design, so the static pressure isn't as good & it's the push fan, of course. I did have a Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 PWM fan in its place for a while, excellent fan, very quiet, & only maybe a degree or two warmer temps overall. Overall, the AIO is not bad, I probably should have gone for the 240, but it didn't seem like there would be enough clearance between the mobo & case since the best option in the current setup is as an exhaust.

Would I buy another Enermax/Lepa AIO? Probably not. I do, however, like their fans & I feel they fall somewhere between "good" & borderline "great" depending on the particular model & if it works flawlessly. That detachable blade thing is tits, though! I have 3 other fans with that feature, one of which is a front intake & therefore gets de bladed at least once a month & sometimes more. Still quietly spinning & looking cool (LED model) & much quieter than the Corsair fan beneath it/farther away from me. It's been there for about 2 years. I've not had any problems with it or the other fan

Oh, my backup is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. I'd likely put the Fractal fan mentioned above on it as I've done in the past, because it's way quieter than the stock CM fan.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
Well, for just a bit more you can grab yourself a 360mm Kraken or H150i from Corsair...

I think the Swiftech performs really poor for a 'just-not' a custom LC loop and for a product from a company like Switftech. Same for the EK AiO products, I've seen the reviews and could not understand how a kit with EK Supremacy block, DDC pomp and thicc hoses couldn't perform any better than a plasticky Asetek Kraken or EVGA CLC thingy.

Core i9 9900K @ 5.2 || EVGA Z390 DARK || 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4600 C18 @ 4266 C17 || GPU: EVGA Kingpin RTX2080Ti @ 2130MHz || Samsung 970PRO 1TB + 860EVO 2TB || Lian Li O11 Dynamic White || Corsair AX1600i || Screen: LG B8 OLED 55 and LG 34GK950F
Corsair H150i PRO + Noctua NF-A12x25

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in