[OCN LABS] Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVME SSD Review - Fastest SSD To Date? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVME SSD Review - Fastest SSD To Date?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS] Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVME SSD Review - Fastest SSD To Date?

SSDs. SSDs have pretty much become the golden standard of PC storage. Upon the conception of SSDs, the SATA2 interface was fully saturated at about 300MB/s. Naturally SATA3 came along and effectively doubling the throughput to 600MB/s. This standard lasted a while, a LONG while. Let me ask you this, when you shop for a SSD now, do you look for a 2.5” SATA3 SSD or do you go for speed, like this Samsung EVO Plus?

*devilish grin*

Cut to intro

Hey what up OCNer’s, bluedevil here. So SSDs. Everyone I know when they go to build a computer, shops and buys a SSD. Hell I use 2 1TB Adata SSDs in this Silverstone external RAID enclosure, check out that video right up here. But typically when I build a computer, I tend to go on the side of speed. Which is what any modern motherboard with a M.2 NVME slot is for. Using PCIe bus lanes instead of the aging SATA interface, means that throughput can be massively increased. We are talking north of 1, 2, and even 3GB/s sequential reads and writes. Well today I have three M.2 NVME drives for comparison. An oldie but a goody Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, the Intel 660P 1TB that video here, and this guy, the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB.

In respects to the drives that I just mentioned, let’s quickly run down the specs of each M.2 NVME SSD. The Samsung 950 Pro was and still is, a very capable drive, even by today’s standards. Running Samsung’s V-Nand 32-layer 128Gbit MLC, rated to run at up to 2,500MB/s sequential reads and up to 1,500MB/s sequential writes, this NVME drive holds its own. Next up is the Intel 660P, which is running Intel’s QLC memory, which has its ups and downs, literally. Rated at running up to 1800MB/s in both sequential reads and writes, this QLC based drive isn’t a slouch. Lastly, the most recently released Samsung EVO Plus, which is running Samsung’s latest version of its V-Nand flash memory of the 3-bit MLC variety. With up to 3,400MB/s in sequential reads and sequential writes up to 2,300MB/s.

Onto the benchmarks!

AS SSD

ATTO

CrystalDiskMark 6

So obviously the 970 EVO Plus is dominating here, mostly due to the newer Phoenix controller that Samsung has developed. The Phoenix controller consists of a 5 Core CPU, 512MB of low power DDR4 DRAM. Previous Samsung 900 series SSDs, which had the Polaris controller, had 5 and 3 core CPUs with slower DDR3 DRAM, making the new Phoenix controller a definite improvement over previous controllers. Intel’s 660P is a much more value oriented NVME SSD, with lower cost QLC NAND memory using the Silicon Motion SM2263 controller. While the SM2263 is more than capable of delivering speeds comparable to Samsung’s 970 EVO Plus, in large writes however, the 660P lacks due to the QLC memory buffer.

So in conclusion, is the Samsung 970 EVO Plus the Fastest SSD to date? Realistically, only Samsung’s own 970 Pro is faster, by a meer 100MB/s on the read times and 400MB/s on the write times. Endurance with IOPS are also are much higher with the 970 Pro. However I do think for those looking for better price to performance will look to the 970 EVO Plus as the one to pick.

So the Samsung 970 Evo Plus gets a solid 5 out of 5 flames. Very solid SSD.

Alright OCNers, I am gonna go for now. If you haven’t liked and subscribed by now, you know what to do. Also comment below, love seeing your faces.

bluedevil out.

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-E...9c2b557a0babae

Last edited by ENTERPRISE; 04-10-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Master of Black Snow

Rep: 699 (Unique: 518)
I am going to be replacing my meager Adata Premier Pro SP900 128gb in the neartofore future. I was considering a WD NVME Black drive but I think the 970 EVO+ just topped my list of considerations. All my other SSDs are EVO drives except my 4TB HDD. Sadly Samsung doesn't make one in this Capacity. So yeah.

5 out of 5 for reviews bluedevil.

~Ceadder

I am really starting to feel my Oats as a long time member of OCN. Why did we go back to this system again?
Black snow
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZSK
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Adata m.2
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova
Cooling
EKWB Crosshair VI Acetyl Monoblock
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit USB
Monitor
Samsung NU6900
Keyboard
Corsair K55
Mouse
Corsair M65
Other
Xbox Wireless Controller: Winter Forces Special Edition - Xbox One/Xbox One S/Windows 10
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard
Crosshair IV Formula
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
Corsair Dominator
Hard Drive
x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0
Hard Drive
Samsun 750 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
EK D5 Vario
Cooling
EK x3 250 RGB
Cooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silent Fans
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Classified
Cooling
Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing.
Cooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings
Cooling
EK x3 CSQ Clean Acrylic
Cooling
EK RX 480 Copper/Acetyl
Case
HAF 932
Operating System
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM
Monitor
Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen
Keyboard
Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know what I'm going to replace it with.
Mouse
Logitech g9x
Mouse
COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad
Audio
Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers
Other
Creative X-Fi
Other
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
I am going to be replacing my meager Adata Premier Pro SP900 128gb in the neartofore future. I was considering a WD NVME Black drive but I think the 970 EVO+ just topped my list of considerations. All my other SSDs are EVO drives except my 4TB HDD. Sadly Samsung doesn't make one in this Capacity. So yeah. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]

5 out of 5 for reviews bluedevil. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/post-flame-small.png[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/post-flame-small.png[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/post-flame-small.png[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/post-flame-small.png[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/post-flame-small.png[/IMG]

~Ceadder [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif[/IMG]
Thanks bro! Really appreciate the great feedback. It really is a great drive, I think you would be very happy with one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 63 (Unique: 53)
Nice review and it looks like Samsung really hit this one out of the park. I gave a buddy the green light on the 1Tb variant and I'll be ordering a 500Gb model for myself.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 521 (Unique: 293)
I keep buying 1TB SSDs when they dip sub $100, but now that NVMe is doing similar numbers, I'll likely re-evaluate.

Run a system on 2TB of NVMe, n have raid SSD storage.

sounds perfect to me

the only current issue I have with NVMe is scaling. Most boards only have slots for one, n luxury boards only sport two. This means you've gotta spend some serious money on yuuuge NVMe, or get an addon card (not sure their max capacity 2-4 units?) which then takes up a slot.slot
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 106)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
I keep buying 1TB SSDs when they dip sub $100, but now that NVMe is doing similar numbers, I'll likely re-evaluate.

Run a system on 2TB of NVMe, n have raid SSD storage.

sounds perfect to me

the only current issue I have with NVMe is scaling. Most boards only have slots for one, n luxury boards only sport two. This means you've gotta spend some serious money on yuuuge NVMe, or get an addon card (not sure their max capacity 2-4 units?) which then takes up a slot.slot

I agree on needing larger, but that's a memory issue (well for the form-factor that is). However, it's always best to get the largest NVMe drive you can afford regardless as the larger capacities are faster than the slower variants. Although this too is much less significant than it was initially.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in