[OCN LABS]EVGA RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra Review - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS]EVGA RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra Review

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS]EVGA RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra Review

What’s up Overclockers, bluedevil here. What I have here is the EVGA RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra. Today we are going to take a look on how this guy performs to what I have on hand here in the studio, which happens to be the Zotac GTX 1070 Ti Amp Extreme and the AMD Radeon RX Vega 64. Unfortunately Overclock didn’t get a sample of AMD’s NAVI GPUs to compare against the new Super GPUs. Maybe soon AMD?

So at the beginning of July, much to everyone’s surprise. Nvidia tried to steal AMD’s thunder from the RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT launch. Nvidia calls it “Super”, namely the RTX 2060 Super, 2070 Super, and 2080 Super. Which in terms of differences to last year’s RTX 2060, is a bump in shaders from 1920 to 2176, resulting in a little over 13% increase in shader count. Still running on the TU106 core, ROPs increased from 48 to 64, a 33% increase and GDDR6 memory is up from 6gb to 8gb. Clocks are also up, this guy sports a GPU boost clock of 1680mhz and the memory gets cranked up to 14Gbps on a 256-bit bus, up from a 192-bit bus. Pricing is also up from last years RTX 2060, from $340 to $400.

In terms of aesthetics, much of the same from EVGA’s own RTX 2060 SC Ultra, and I really can’t blame them for not wanting to reinvent a new cooling solution or PCB. Also EVGA really hasn’t been a big player in terms of RGB on GPUs. Yes some have it, but it’s not over the top at all. This RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra, doesn’t have them there fancy RGB lighting, instead just two hydraulic dynamic bearing fans aid in the iCX2 cooling, a cool thing about those fans, the little “e” throughout, is supposed to aid in noise reduction as well as airflow. Also the shroud is black plastic, but has a metallic look to it.

Moving over to the IO section of the EVGA RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra, are 2 Displayport 1.4 ports, 1 HDMI 2.0, and a single DVI-D port. Flipping the SC Ultra to the top and you are greeted with a generous heatsink spread throughout the majority of the length the PCB, and then sum. Ladies. On the end, or should I say, 3 quarters of the way down the length, is a single 8 pin PCIe power connector. So single only an 8 pin PCIe power connector is needed to power it, so the max power draw is up to 225 watts.

So what do you say we stop talking about the EVGA RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra and get it on the test bench and see what it can do? Now going forward all GPU testing will be done with three resolutions in mind, 3440x1440, 2560x1080, and the most popular resolution 1920x1080. You may ask why those three? Well I run an ultrawide 3440x1440p monitor and quite frankly 4k is too taxing on a GPU to really flex it’s FPS. To me, I like a combination of FPS and quality.

I thought you would agree. Role them benchmarks!

Cut to good music

Test Bench System
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5Ghz
Asus Z370 Maximus X Code
2x8GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz TG T-Force Vulcan Z CL 16-18-18
Intel 256GB 760P PCIe NVME SSD, TG T-Force Vulcan 500GB 2.5” SSD
EVGA P2 750w w/ black EVGA cableset
Enermax Liqtech 2 280MM AIO
Window 10 Pro 64 bit Ver 1903
Acer 34” Ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 100hz
Lian Li T70X (custom)

Quake 2 RTX (RTX 2060 Super only)

Synthetic Benchmarks

Phew. That was a lot of data, believe me. But, the EVGA RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra is well, pretty awesome. Not only does it perform really good, but it’s silent at idle, mainly due to the fans not spinning, and it’s whisper quiet at full load. But I want to throw a little bit more on top. How well does this guy overclock? So starting off I used EVGA’s own Precision X1 software to overclock the SC ultra further, and at first I went the tried and true method, maxed the power and temp target and started with a 100mhz OC.Then 120mhz, which netted me just above 2ghz while running The Division 2 at 3440x1440. I figured I would see if the VF Curve Tuner that’s built into the X1’s software could do some of the dirty work, so I let it work it’s magic. Well to my surprise, X1 found an overclock at +121mhz. Not bad, not bad all. Next I cranked the memory up to +250mhz, backing off the overclock a little bit, I found that my max stable overclock was +100 on the core and +400 on the memory. Again not bad at all. Now the SC Ultra is now sitting around 2ghz on the core and 14.8Gbps on the GDDR6 memory! The best part of all, the core never got hotter than 63C! So to test the overclock, I ran The Division 2 again at 3440x1400. Knowing The Division 2 is not an easy game to run as well as running DX12, I thought the overclock did a great job at increasing the average frame rate to more than 20 fps more than stock!

Division 2 Overclocking

So in conclusion, the EVGA RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra is a really nice 60 series graphics card. For a price point of around $420, it’s certainly going to trade blows with the slightly cheaper AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT. Even the previous generations, like the Vega 64 and GTX 1070 Ti, the 2060 SC Ultra bests them before overclocking. With that said, 4 and half flames from me, only due to pricing. If this was say, $389 for sure. But then again you do get a much better heatsink fan design for the $20 difference in pricing.

Well guys, if you haven’t liked and subscribed by now, you know what to do. I will see you guys in the next one!

Product link
https://www.evga.com/products/produc...08G-P4-3067-KR

Last edited by ENTERPRISE; 07-29-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:02 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Nice review especially with improved methodology and expanded test regime (1%, 0.1% lows). As far as the product, it's good to see EVGA has put fan stop on their Super SC Ultra.

Techpowerup measured 35dBA at 1m, so maybe your noise testing is at a closer distance? Adding the distance would be a good idea

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Nice review especially with improved methodology and expanded test regime (1%, 0.1% lows). As far as the product, it's good to see EVGA has put fan stop on their Super SC Ultra.

Techpowerup measured 35dBA at 1m, so maybe your noise testing is at a closer distance? Adding the distance would be a good idea
Thanks buddy.

Yeah testing was done about a foot away. Maybe I should increase the distance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in