[OCN LABS] Samsung CRG9 Curved QLED Gaming Monitor5120x1440 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] Samsung CRG9 Curved QLED Gaming Monitor5120x1440

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS] Samsung CRG9 Curved QLED Gaming Monitor5120x1440

5120x1440p. Let that sink in just a little bit. Not a familiar resolution is it? Well Samsung has one upped themselves from last year's model, the CHG90 49” 144hz Freesync 2 panel that fell short in terms of vertical resolution, ie 3840x1080p. Originally debuted at CES 2019, which I had the honor of seeing in person, the CRG9 is a monitor I immediately fell in love with. Again with it’s 5120x1440p resolution, a 120hz refresh rate with AMD’s Freesync 2, HDR1000, on a VA panel, what’s not to love?

So 49 inches is a lot to love right? Let’s start off with the elephant in the room, why on earth would anyone want a monitor this big? Well why do some people have to have a 100 inch 4k HDR television? One word, immersion. Effectively having the equivalent of two 27 inch 2560x1440p panels side by side, the CRG9 fully lets the user be immersed in whatever they are doing. Now again 49 inches is still a lot to love, I have an 80 inch desk that I made from a solid core door and this guy takes up it’s half for sure! So make sure you have a large desk for the CRG9, cause it’s gonna demand it. Now since the CRG9 is such a large monitor, the stand has to be equally large as well. The footprint is quite simple but effective, having a simple Y to carry packaged weight of 44 pounds! The stand can also be swapped out for a compatible 100x100mm VESA mount adapter if you so desire, just make sure that your monitor arm will support such a heavy beast. Moving back to the CRG9, the backside is mostly fantastic plastic, with a white LED ring where the stand attaches to the monitor itself. The stand also allows for tilt, swivel, as well as height adjustment, albeit don’t expect it to get very high, however this reduces neck fatigue by not having the strain on the neck to look up or at a slight angle. Also on the backside are the 2 Displayport 1.4a ports, a single HDMI 2.0 port, 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type A, 2 USB 2.0 Type A, and a 3.5mm output jack. A slew of cables also are included which includes Power, DisplayPort, HDMI, and a USB 3.1 uplink. The port placement is a point of discontentment for me, having a vertical orientation instead of the easier to plug in horizontal orientation. Also included is a plastic connection cover, which is why the ports are vertical I would guess. I know this is a clean look that Samsung was going for, which is appreciated, but a vertical plug in is very difficult to plugin a cable. Also the CRG9 does not include any built in speakers, but when you spend $1500 on a monitor, do you really want to use the crappy built in ones anyways? Didn’t think so. Moving around to the bezel of the CRG9, is a very thin border, however, the chin, is about ¾ of an inch wide, with a small Samsung logo in the center.

Ok let’s talk gaming with the CRG9. Running a resolution of 5120x1440 on a VA type panel, is effectively 2 2560x1440p monitors, so this is very close to running at 4K resolution, it’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.4 million pixels compared to 8.3 million pixels of that of 4K. Now take into account the CRG9 is running at 120hz, not like traditional 4K monitors running at 60hz. Think about it, the CRG9 is running 44% more pixels than a 4K monitor does at 60hz. That’s pretty nuts. Now add in HDR1000 support, factory calibrated, and has DCI-P3 95% color space, making games feel more vibrant and authentic. AMD’s FreeSync 2 is also present in the CRG9, which aids with LFC or Low Framerate Compensation when coupled with a compatible AMD GPU, which currently I have a AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 on hand. Also present are several modes for FPS, RTS, RPG and other game modes. And yes you could “cheat” and enable the Virtual Aim Point for on screen crosshairs, but I really don’t condone it. Another feature is the ability to take in 2 signals at the same time, like streaming on one side of the CRG9 with your desktop, and stream/chat on the other side on your laptop. The only thing missing that last years CHG90 had was a KVM switch, which would have been helpful when running more than one system.

So what do I think of this 49 inch monster? Well it’s a pity that I can’t keep it, cause it would be staying on my desk for a LOOOONG time. It’s just you have ultrawide, and then you have this 32:9 beast . It’s just insane at how much you can see with the 1800R curvature. Remember you are gonna need a beefy GPU setup to keep this beast fed. I tested with an AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 I mentioned earlier, as well as with a Nvidia RTX 2080 Super. While running an Nvidia GPU on a FreeSync 2 display doesn’t allow you to take advantage of any adaptive sync technology, gaming at higher refresh rates isn't bad either. It’s just currently AMD doesn’t have the high end GPU market to really make this monitor shine to its full potential. Remember Nvidia just announced in January that Nvidia GPUs would start supporting FreeSync monitors, FreeSync 2 monitors however not so much.

Alright HDR and monitor Overclocking. Really it’s hard to have one with the other. With the CRG9 it’s a bit of a give and take. While at its native frequency of 120hz, the monitor recognizes itself on Windows 10 as 8 bit HDR with dithering, however if you lower the frequency down to 100hz, ohh I know thats a sin, but then you gain 10 bit HDR. BUUUUUT, if you are ok with 8 bit colors, I was able to crank this panel up to 144hz! Needless to say I am quite speechless. 120hz on a 5120x1440p panel is already quite high, so I really wasn’t expecting to see 144hz at all.

Now let's chat about pricing. Yeah I agree, $1500 is quite a bit to spend on a monitor, even these days. But when you compare to the 3 other monitors out currently, which are the Phillips 499P9H, the LG 49BL95C, and the Dell UD4919DW, all have a refresh rate of 60hz with no adaptive sync technology. All of those monitors are over $1200, so paying a $300 premium for double the refresh rate with Freesync 2, is what I consider not a bad premium to pay. It’s just getting up to that price category in the first place.

So to wrap things up, the Samsung CRG9 QLED 49” Ultra Wide Curved Gaming monitor is quite frankly, simply amazing. Gaming on the CRG9 is such an immersive experience that words can’t even describe the feelings. Even though the CRG9 does have it’s issues with port placement, it manages to receive the “Overclock Hottest Gear 2019” award. This award is a step above the normal 5 out of 5 flames. Samsung obviously listened to the community, made a couple of necessary improvements and hit it out of the park.

Alright guys, thanks for watching. If you haven’t liked and subscribed by now, you know what to do. I will see you all in the next one.

Bluedevil out.

Last edited by bluedevil; 08-08-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Just another nerd

Rep: 335 (Unique: 241)
There seem to be a lot of end-user complaints about dead pixels with this model on Amazon and other outlets. Also, anyone buying this model should be well aware that 120 Hz is only supported in 8-bit color mode (16.8m colors). 10-bit is 100 Hz only.

CPU: intel Core i9 9900K - 5 GHz all core HT on - 1.26v - Air cooled
MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU: MSI Duke OC RTX 2080 Ti - 380w PL BIOS
RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 CL15 (Samsung B-die)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3
CASE: "Open bench" - Stripped down Tt Core X9
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by Sheyster View Post
There seem to be a lot of end-user complaints about dead pixels with this model on Amazon and other outlets. Also, anyone buying this model should be well aware that 120 Hz is only supported in 8-bit color mode (16.8m colors). 10-bit is 100 Hz only.

Yep I covered 8 and 10 bit colors in my review.

Quote: Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post

Alright HDR and monitor Overclocking. Really it’s hard to have one with the other. With the CRG9 it’s a bit of a give and take. While at its native frequency of 120hz, the monitor recognizes itself on Windows 10 as 8 bit HDR with dithering, however if you lower the frequency down to 100hz, ohh I know thats a sin, but then you gain 10 bit HDR. BUUUUUT, if you are ok with 8 bit colors, I was able to crank this panel up to 144hz! Needless to say I am quite speechless. 120hz on a 5120x1440p panel is already quite high, so I really wasn’t expecting to see 144hz at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:36 AM
boof

Did you post this from your phone?

Quote:Originally Posted by TheBadBull https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ????????????????
Computer of Theseus
(16 items)
RIP Athlon '01-'11
(10 items)
PC MK1
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 1600
Motherboard
Asus PRIME B350 PLUS
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 8GB
RAM
16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32LD450
Monitor
Dell
Monitor
Valve Index Headset
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight MX Blue
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 310
Other
Valve Index Base Station
Other
Logitech G29
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair V
GPU
nVidia GTX 550Ti
RAM
12GB DDR3
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue
Cooling
Coolermaster Evo
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
AMD Athlon 1300 1.3Ghz
Motherboard
Asrock
GPU
nVidia 7200GS
RAM
1GB
Hard Drive
80GB IDE
Operating System
Windows XP
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post
Did you post this from your phone?
It looks like it (stupid "S").

Looking forward to reading it later!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Just another nerd

Rep: 335 (Unique: 241)
It wasn't originally like that, the text was fine. He must have done an edit from his phone after he posted the original that caused the formatting issues.

CPU: intel Core i9 9900K - 5 GHz all core HT on - 1.26v - Air cooled
MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU: MSI Duke OC RTX 2080 Ti - 380w PL BIOS
RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 CL15 (Samsung B-die)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3
CASE: "Open bench" - Stripped down Tt Core X9
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by Sheyster View Post
It wasn't originally like that, the text was fine. He must have done an edit from his phone after he posted the original that caused the formatting issues.
Exactly what it was. Fixing in a few.

*Fixed now. Thanks guys!

Last edited by bluedevil; 08-08-2019 at 09:23 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
Exactly what it was. Fixing in a few.

*Fixed now. Thanks guys!
Thanks!

Great read; if I wasn't poorish, this monitor would probably be on my shortlist. But I am, so I'll just continue to dream about getting something like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 540 (Unique: 306)
if i could source it locally, thus easily return if dead pixels popped up, i'd be all over this.

My favorite all time setup was 3x 1080p/1440p, so squeezing near that into 50 inches, instead of 75-90 sounds epic.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 22)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
if i could source it locally, thus easily return if dead pixels popped up, i'd be all over this.

My favorite all time setup was 3x 1080p/1440p, so squeezing near that into 50 inches, instead of 75-90 sounds epic.
When I had my 5970 I ran 1680x1050x3. Then I went to 2560x1440x3. When I went to better gpu's.
I now have a 3440x1440 monitor. I would love a 5120 x 1600 but 1440 will work. But I am going to wait one more gen though, I want HDMI 2.1 and go 144hz at 10 bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in