[OCN LABS] Is this the end all audio device? Ft Creative Labs X3 AMP DAC - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] Is this the end all audio device? Ft Creative Labs X3 AMP DAC

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS] Is this the end all audio device? Ft Creative Labs X3 AMP DAC

Hey what's going on OCNers, I am bluedevil and today we are going to talk about another product from Creative Labs. This time it's the Sound Blaster X3 Hi Res 7.1 External USB DAC and Sound Card, with Super X-Fi.

So last time we looked at the Sound Blaster AE-9 from Creative Labs, which is a PCIe based sound card with an external audio control module. Which is great if you are running a desktop with an available PCIe slot, but what about those users that are on a laptop or the dreaded Mac? Well that’s where the Sound Blaster X3 from Creative Labs steps in. You see, not everyone wants or has the room for a sound card these days. In the AE-9 review, I asked why have a sound card in 2019? Having the ability to work on several platforms is probably why a lot of people would opt for an external sound solution, not to mention being easier to setup than a PCIe based sound card.

Starting off I would like to thank Creative Labs for sending over the Sound Blaster X3, links will be in the description below..

Like I said in the Sound Blaster AE-9 review, why not just use the onboard audio from your computer? For some of you audio from any source is “good enough”. Then there are some of us that crave more, more clarity, more depth, more of EVERYTHING. Last year Creative Labs had me sit down at CES and try out their new headphone holography called Super X-Fi. I can honestly tell you that I really enjoyed the sound I heard, but I understand it may not be for everyone. Super X-Fi took a bit to understand, while I personally think it’s amazing for movies and games. For music, I prefer Super X-Fi off. Music to me seems echoey and slightly distant, not that it is bad, it kinda sounds like you are at a small bar with a band playing for a smaller group of people.

So aesthetically, the Sound Blaster X3 reminds me of the GSX 1000 and 1200 Pro from Sennheiser. Having front 3.5mm headphone and mic jacks, making the it differ from the GSX models. There are three buttons on top of the X3, the first one for mic mute, the second one for switching modes, and the Super XFi button toggle. The X3 itself provides high power 32-bit, 192 kHz playback at 115 dB DNR / SNR. The very large volume knob, which also has a ring that lights up blue, white or red depending on the function, is located in the very center of the X3. The shiny beveled edge on the volume knob is also a nice touch. Moving to the rear IO of the X3, you are greeted with front, side, rear, and C/SUB 3.5mm line outs. A single 3.5mm line in, Optical out, and a USB-C port finish out the rear IO nicely. The bottom also has four low profile rubber feet to keep the X3 from siding around on your desk.

Alright so Super X-Fi might not be for everyone, but the X3 does offer other things that are appealing as well. Like customizing 3 different preset EQ modes with the Mode button. Mode 1 is Music, Mode 2 being for Movies, and lastly Mode 3 for Footsteps Enhancer which would be helpful for gaming. Another cool feature is that the X3 is compatible with most devices like Windows PCs, Macs, PS4, and the Nintendo Switch.

So how does it sound? After listening to the same tracks at 32-bit 192khz like I did in the Sound Blaster AE-9 review, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the Sound Blaster AE-9 and the X3 at the same volume. Notice I said at the same volume, the AE-9 is noticeably louder at higher volumes, most likely due to the extra power that is drawn from the PCIe PSU rail. Also something to note is the playback resolution on the X3 is only at 192khz unlike the 384khz playback resolution found on the AE-9, giving a nod to clarity in favor of it being almost three times more expensive. Another key difference is the headphone amp, the AE-9 is capable of driving headphones up to 600 ohms, with 5.3v RMS. The X3 can also drive 600 ohm headphones, but at a mere 2.9v RMS. That explains why the X3 doesn’t get as loud.

So in conclusion is the X3 from Creative Labs the end all audio device, no. The Creative Labs X3 does offer an extremely good aesthetic, simple to set up, and is a relatively lower priced DAC/AMP combo while providing great sound. Priced at $120 US, the X3 earns a solid 4.5 out of 5 flames. If you are looking for higher end audio out of your PC or consoles, I can confidently recommend Creative’s Sound Blaster X3 provided you don’t need audio to be screaming loud.

Alright guys, that’s gonna do it for today. Thank you all for watching or reading, please also take the time to subscribe, hit the like button, and bang the notification bell to make sure you get every bit of Overclock that you can get.

bluedevil out.

Creative X3 AMP DAC
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-x3

Creative AE-9 PCIe Sound Card
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blas...d-blaster-ae-9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 06:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Noone commenting on this at all? Is this 'dac' that bad? To me it looks like an ok external soundcard/'dac', for an ok price.
To me the Sennheiser 1000 is super, BUT the permanent noice reduction on the mic intake is for me a no-no!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 06:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 31)
There is no such thing as end all audio device.
I definitely wouldn’t classify anything from creative as end all

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
There is no such thing as end all audio device.
I definitely wouldn’t classify anything from creative as end all

As I didn't. The X3 does however, offer very good versatility in compatibility in various platforms. Is there other solutions out there that are cheaper, sure. However they might not be as polished.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have checked out several DAC reviews including this and the EA-9. For me mic record quality is important, and this X3 is doing very good in several aspects, also the mic audio quality. Sadly the EA-9 has bad mic quality, same with the Sennheiser 1000/1200 (sadly it has PERMA mic noise reduction that kills the mic audio). If not I had ranked the Sennheiser above the X3.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:38 AM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 113 (Unique: 60)
Click image for larger version

Name:	rme-adi-2-pro-fs.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	318490

Instantly recognized by Windows after plugging it in via USB, no fiddling with the computer whatsoever. Haven't tried a mike yet though.

It's a different class of equipment of course and not for everyone; really depends on your needs/wants, and budget.

Playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest...
Muffler Bearings
(24 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC
GPU
(2 ea) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZ
Hard Drive
(2ea) Intel Optane 900P (480GB)
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Custom, 8020x3060 and x2020
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Ergodox EZ with Kailh Thick Gold (Bronze) and Copper switches
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
Audio
RME ADI-2 Pro FS 2-in/4-out AD/DA Converter
Audio
FOCAL Clear Professional Headphones
Audio
Mr. Schpeakers ETHER C Flow 1.1 Headphones
Other
Protectli Firewall Micro Appliance With 6x Intel Gigabit Ports, Intel i5 7200U, AES-NI
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by iamjanco; 01-13-2020 at 02:44 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
Attachment 318490

Instantly recognized by Windows after plugging it in via USB, no fiddling with the computer whatsoever. Haven't tried a mike yet though.

It's a different class of equipment of course and not for everyone; really depends on your needs/wants, and budget.
Yes very different class, many times the cost.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:45 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 113 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by JarleH View Post
Yes very different class, many times the cost.
True (and I implied that), but it's not out of range for everyone here. Otherwise you wouldn't have people buying motherboards upwards of a $1,000, cpus upwards of $2,000 or more, and gpu setups that sometimes reach for the sky. That said, like a number of other things, it is a very niche product and I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to run out and buy one.

Playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest...
Muffler Bearings
(24 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC
GPU
(2 ea) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZ
Hard Drive
(2ea) Intel Optane 900P (480GB)
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Custom, 8020x3060 and x2020
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Ergodox EZ with Kailh Thick Gold (Bronze) and Copper switches
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
Audio
RME ADI-2 Pro FS 2-in/4-out AD/DA Converter
Audio
FOCAL Clear Professional Headphones
Audio
Mr. Schpeakers ETHER C Flow 1.1 Headphones
Other
Protectli Firewall Micro Appliance With 6x Intel Gigabit Ports, Intel i5 7200U, AES-NI
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:11 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 37 (Unique: 23)
*Missed this, so excuse the belated reply*
Unless you (read the website) are getting money for showcasing this, i'd humbly request your refraining -in the future- from using such terms in the description..
Clickbait titles make you look bad, unless you really mean what you say, in which case worse still, make you look ignorant.

As to the topic itself, in a world dominated by "musical", overly "warm", plastic Chinese crap, nothing needs be said, it'd be pointless; especially in this forum, due to its having a rather different kind of audience. There's a knowledge gap that needs be bridged first.
But should anyone be willing to expand their horizons a bit, suffice it to say that should one opt to go for an external DAC, pre-amp/amp, combo, or anything inbetween, they need:

i) steer clear of 'gaming' brands. Or brands that cater to them.
ii) focus on proper, non trendy/gamer/hypey products that were made by sound engineers, not software developers; products that were aimed at people wanting to listen to music, not someone's 'interpretation' of what such a music should sound like.

Forums (not here) exist for this, options abound. Starting from the universally affordable and going all the way up to mortgage levels and beyone.
Step out of the "gaming" cesspit pool and start exploring your (real) options.
And my sincere apologies to bluedevil for being my usual level of frank, but Jeesus.. like, really. It's one thing not having the space for something external and thus sticking to "sound cards" and it's quite another to have the audacity (or again, the ignorance) to proclaim the above.

Pride, honour and purity.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
*Missed this, so excuse the belated reply*
Unless you (read the website) are getting money for showcasing this, i'd humbly request your refraining -in the future- from using such terms in the description..
Clickbait titles make you look bad, unless you really mean what you say, in which case worse still, make you look ignorant.

As to the topic itself, in a world dominated by "musical", overly "warm", plastic Chinese crap, nothing needs be said, it'd be pointless; especially in this forum, due to its having a rather different kind of audience. There's a knowledge gap that needs be bridged first.
But should anyone be willing to expand their horizons a bit, suffice it to say that should one opt to go for an external DAC, pre-amp/amp, combo, or anything inbetween, they need:

i) steer clear of 'gaming' brands. Or brands that cater to them.
ii) focus on proper, non trendy/gamer/hypey products that were made by sound engineers, not software developers; products that were aimed at people wanting to listen to music, not someone's 'interpretation' of what such a music should sound like.

Forums (not here) exist for this, options abound. Starting from the universally affordable and going all the way up to mortgage levels and beyone.
Step out of the "gaming" cesspit pool and start exploring your (real) options.
And my sincere apologies to bluedevil for being my usual level of frank, but Jeesus.. like, really. It's one thing not having the space for something external and thus sticking to "sound cards" and it's quite another to have the audacity (or again, the ignorance) to proclaim the above.
So I assume you are directing this at me? And thank you for your sincere apologies.

Being frank, yes this is promoted content. The whole point of a "click baity" title IS to get people to click on it. My role, which actually is much more than "YouTube Manager" nowadays, is to attract new members to YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, as well as OCN as a whole. Doing this requires money, lots of money. So promoted content is a necessary evil if we want to stay relevant, it helps bring content to OCN that normally would get allocated to another site/influencer. Lord knows I can't afford all the review units that are sent to me. Think of it this way, the world is much bigger than OCN, however OCN is a big enough forum that deserves some attention. But when OCN pretty much "shats" on every kind of content that is produced, we are perceived as very negative. Funny you mentioned "cesspit", when I go to shows like CES and Computex, I get asked if OCN is still a "cesspit"? I have to put my best face forward and say I am working to turn that around. Don't get me wrong I think OCN is great, I have been here since 06', I have had plenty of chances to go elsewhere, but I just seem to keep coming back. I remember a day where people actually wanted to help each other instead of proving each other wrong on everything. This is the image we portray to the outside world.

Sorry about the rant, it's just something that's been bothering me for a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in