[OCN LABS] Gamdias Argus M1 - It could have been good.... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] Gamdias Argus M1 - It could have been good....

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS] Gamdias Argus M1 - It could have been good....

This is the Gamdias Argus M1, a mid tower, RGB enabled, tempered glass PC case that is competing in the 75 to 100 dollar market of gaming PC cases. Now at first glance, the Argus M1 looks like it could be a decent PC case, it has tempered glass and RGB?

Hello good people of Overclock, I am bluedevil. So today we are looking at the Gamdias Argus M1, which seems to be a good looking pc case. Coming from Gamdias, which mind you, haven't been active in the PC gaming case market, being founded in 2012. Back to the Argus M1, Gamdias seems to be trying to hit their need for a tempered glass RGB inspired case in an already crowded market. Having offerings from well, just about every manufacturer, competition is very fierce. So what does the Argus M1 do to set itself apart from the rest of the tempered glass RGB cases on the market?

Kicking things off with the specs, the Argus M1 is an ATX mid tower PC case that can support bigger E-ATX motherboards. The M1 also has support for various water cooling radiators up to 360mm in the front. Fan support for the top, is limited to only two 120mm or 140mm fan options with a magnetic dust filter. Drive support in the M1, is restricted to 2 2.5” or 3.5” drives in the adjustable basement drive cage, as well as 2 2.5” drives on the backside of the main compartment. The main compartment which is partially separated by the PSU shroud, which has 2 mounts for 92mm fans on the top, as well has a cut out for PSU visibility.

Moving to the outside of the M1, the front IO has 1 USB 3.0 as well as 2 USB 2.0 ports, along with headphone and mic jacks. The aRGB strip that runs in the center panel, is pretty cool with it’s angler pattern which can be controlled via a 3 pin aRGB header on a compatible motherboard or from the integrated buttons on the front IO. The front panel, which has slots on both the right and left sides, provides front ventilation.

When I started writing this review, I really didn’t even wanna do it. But that wouldn’t be very constructive would it? So not to rip Gamdias a new one, here is some constructive criticism that should shed some light on improvements with the Argus M1.

First thing I noticed is how thin the steel was. I understand this cost cutting measure, thinner steel is used, but most noticeably the M1 was very flimsy in almost all exterior panels. The front fan mounts, which are tooled to be removed if need be, as well as a 5.25” drive bay support, are well not needed. Which leads me to the front panel. The front panel reminds me of cases in the early 2000s in terms of the attached IO. The tempered glass section, while looking sleek, would be more beneficial to have been mesh instead of glass, also reducing cost.

Secondly, the PCI brackets are the kind that are stamped to be twisted out, not something you see in the 75 to 100 dollar market. Two PCI brackets thankfully are in the accessory pouch to replace at least two slots that aren't being occupied by a video card.

Moving to the PSU shroud, is a couple of questionable design choices. First when tooling out the PSU visibility window, why not instead tool out a PSU bracket instead of the PSU window? Personally I don’t think a lot of us care about seeing the sticker for our PSU anyways. Then what had me shaking my head was the use of 92mm fan mounts on top of the PSU shroud. Why in God’s name would anyone still be using 92mm case fans?

The main compartment is pretty standard. No rubber grommets for cable passthrough, as well as some ketchup and mustard front IO cables are present. Thankfully six of nine motherboard standoffs are pre installed.

Then which I find to be very uncommon, was the omission of any fans whatsoever. I hate to say it, this price bracket, I would have hoped to find at least one fan to be included.

So in conclusion, I don’t hate the Argus M1. However I do think the pricing is too high. Say something around $59.99, I would understand it much more. Being priced at nearly $80 dollars, there are a lot better choices. The Gamdias Argus M1 earns 3 out of 5 flames.

Thanks again guys, if you don’t mind, please smash that sub button and comment below.

bluedevil out.

Last edited by bluedevil; 02-20-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in