[OCN LABS] Nixeus 144Hz Ultrawide - Best Ultrawide Under $600? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] Nixeus 144Hz Ultrawide - Best Ultrawide Under $600?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS] Nixeus 144Hz Ultrawide - Best Ultrawide Under $600?

So how much would you pay for a 144Hz 3440x1440P gaming monitor? How does under $600 bucks sound?

What's up people, I am bluedevil. Now ultrawide monitors are something of a normality now. However a few years ago, having a 1440P ultrawide with a 100Hz refresh rate, woulda set you back at least a cool grand, for example the ever popular Acer Predator X34. Well like anything, the market has gotten more saturated with other brands of ultrawide monitors, so things have gotten a bit cheaper. Having bought my first ultrawide for $400 from NewEgg about a year and half ago, the Acer ED347, with a max refresh rate was only 100Hz with Freesync. Which I naturally tried to overclock, only mustering about 15Hz more. I have always wanted more but never wanted to shell out the $1000 dollars to get a faster ultrawide.

Well today is the day we talk about an ultrawide gaming monitor that’s under $600 bucks, with a 144Hz refresh rate at 3440 by 1440 with Freesync. Meet the Nixeus NX-EDG34, an HDR400 ready ultrawide gaming monitor, with a 1500R Curve. The EDG34 looks like a gaming monitor with its pretty aggressive stand and it’s glowing red accents on the backside. The EDG34 FEELS like a gaming monitor, but does it PERFORM like one?

So just to get the specs out of the way, the EDG34 is a 34 inch ultrawide monitor running at a resolution of 3440 by 1440p at 144Hz. Freesync is present with a certified range of 48Hz to 144Hz with AMD’s Low FrameRate Compensation or LFC for short.The panel used here is a Samsung VA, aka Vertical Alignment, running at the rated response times of 1ms photon to render latency and 4ms gray to gray. Color support is 100% of the sRGB color space, while running at 400 nits of brightness. Having a 1500R curve, which is getting close to the 1000R curvature of that of the human eye, the EDG34 seems to check all the bases for an immersive gaming experience. Two DisplayPort 1.4 ports which supports up to 144Hz and two HDMI 2.0 ports supports up to 100Hz, along with a 3.5mm audio output jack for headphones or external speakers. Holding up the EDG34 is a metal stand that is easily assembled with a couple of screws. Offering only a couple of degrees of tilt, adjustability is pretty limited. The EDG34 also can be mounted using the included 75mm x 75mm plates to any supporting monitor arm. Another model is also available with an height adjustable stand.

When I pulled this bad boy out of the box and set it up for the first time, I was pretty impressed. Assembly was really simple, even though I didn’t look at the included instructions. I managed to set up the EDG34 in a matter of minutes. Now the overall stance of the EDG34 is very gamery, with a wide base, red light up accents on the backside, with an included clear plastic headphone hanger. The front bezels of the display are very minimalistic with a slight chin on the bottom sporting the Nixeus name in the very center. Off to the right hand side, are the buttons for the OSD, has a straightforward menu system. Navigating around the OSD in the initial setup was easy to turn on Freesync as well as the 144Hz refresh rate.

So like I mentioned earlier, the refresh rate of the EDG34 is natively at 144Hz, with a FreeSync range of 48Hz to 144Hz. I will confirm that the EDG34 does work with Nvidia’s G-Sync, as I am testing with a Nvidia RTX 2080 Super today. So the first game I put the EDG34 through was Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands. Let’s just say I got into that game and couldn’t put it down. Playing on the EDG34 is a really immersive and fast paced experience. Moving on to something that will really peg the EDG34 to its max refresh rate, I loaded up DOOM 2016 in arcade mode. Mind you that DOOM 2016 on the Vulkan API is EXTREMELY easy to run, so the 200 FPS cap does apply here. I always love playing through the Argent Energy Map Run, SO, MUCH, DESTRUCTION. (DOOM FACE HERE) Then I loaded up a match of Quake Champions, and wow. Even though I was getting my butt kicked, it was still very immersive. I even got the final kill. Hehe...

So this being Overclock, I decided to see if there was anything left on the table in the EDG34 to be had in terms of monitor overclocking. So thanks to Nvidia’s control panel, I could customize everything from timings to refresh rate. Sadly, the EDG34 suffered from frame skipping at anything higher than 144Hz, even with reduced timings. Testing was done with the frame skipping test from Blur Busters. Bummer, I was hoping to get it to 165Hz.

So all and all, the EDG34 from Nixeus is a pretty sweet monitor for under $600 bucks. Personally Nixeus makes it really hard to look at any other ultrawide monitor with the same specs, earning our new award, Scorching!

Ok everyone, thanks for tuning in. If you could be so kind as to like and subscribe, it would be great. If you want to find links to the Nixeus NX-EDG34, links will be in the description below.

bluedevil out.

Thank you to Nixeus Technology for providing the sample!

Newegg
https://www.newegg.com/nixeus-34/p/3D4-0010-00001

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-Ultrawide-FreeSync-Certified-NX-EDG34S/dp/B07ZG7R5BB

Nixeus
https://www.nixeus.com/nx-edg34

Last edited by bluedevil; 02-20-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 10:52 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 181 (Unique: 119)
Thank-you for the review!

Director Product Development
Nixeus Technology, Inc

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 11:20 PM
Old School OCNer

Rep: 170 (Unique: 140)
Awesome I just bought 2. They should be here Monday.

Groups:OCN Headphones Club*OFFICIAL* Parvum Systems Owners Club Peripherals: • Questyle CMA400i • Audeze LCD-GX • Southpaw Extended 65% (DIY Custom) • Glorious Helios • G Wolves Hati • Nixeus NX-EDG34S
Computer: • Intel Core i9 9900K • EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid • ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX • Ballistix Elite 32GB DDR4 3200 32GB (16GB x2) • WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD 1TB • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ • Fractal Design Celsius S24 • Parvum VEER 1.0 ITX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Just another nerd

Rep: 341 (Unique: 242)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pings View Post
Awesome I just bought 2. They should be here Monday.
Please report back once you've had a chance to test-drive them! I'm sure many folks here are interested in quality, possible dead pixels out of the box, etc.

CPU: intel Core i9 9900K - 5 GHz all core HT on - 1.26v - Air cooled
MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU: MSI Duke OC RTX 2080 Ti - 380w PL BIOS
RAM: G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 CL15 (Samsung B-die)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3
CASE: "Open bench" - Stripped down Tt Core X9

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 08:53 PM
Old School OCNer

Rep: 170 (Unique: 140)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sheyster View Post
Please report back once you've had a chance to test-drive them! I'm sure many folks here are interested in quality, possible dead pixels out of the box, etc.
I just got them today and my wife and I are both very happy. Both of us have zero dead pixels. The VESA mount adapter was a little different but doable. The Nixeus has a little bit better specs than the AOC one so I think I ended up with the right one. Pull the trigger NOW Covid-19 is going to make the price of these skyrocket.

Anyone who has one care to share their settings?

Groups:OCN Headphones Club*OFFICIAL* Parvum Systems Owners Club Peripherals: • Questyle CMA400i • Audeze LCD-GX • Southpaw Extended 65% (DIY Custom) • Glorious Helios • G Wolves Hati • Nixeus NX-EDG34S
Computer: • Intel Core i9 9900K • EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid • ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX • Ballistix Elite 32GB DDR4 3200 32GB (16GB x2) • WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD 1TB • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ • Fractal Design Celsius S24 • Parvum VEER 1.0 ITX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in