[OCN LABS] Creative Labs SoundBlaster G3 Back to the Audio Basics - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] Creative Labs SoundBlaster G3 Back to the Audio Basics

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS] Creative Labs SoundBlaster G3 Back to the Audio Basics

Consoles need better audio too, right? Well here’s the Sound Blaster G3 from Creative Labs. The G3 is a portable external USB-C DAC AMP that’s primarily aimed for use with consoles. You see, just because us OCN guys are PC Master Race, that doesn’t mean we don’t game on a console, we just don’t want to deal with bad sound.

Hey what’s up OCNers? I am bluedevil. Today we are gonna go back to audio basics with the Creative Labs Sound Blaster G3 AMP DAC. Thank you to Creative Labs for sending this with me while I was at CES so that I could take a more in depth look.

So it seems Creative Labs is adding to it’s crusade to better audio for all. We have covered the AE-9, a really high end PCIe based sound card with a breakout box. Then we looked at the X3, which is an external DAC AMP. Now the G3, which is also a DAC AMP, aims to allow console gamers to have better audio. Of course you still could use the G3 with a desktop and or laptop with its USB-C connection or in conjunction with the included USB-C to A adapter.

Opening the box and you are greeted with the G3 itself, the aforementioned USB-C to A adapter, a Mini-TOSLINK cable, and a bit of instructions. The G3 is mainly constructed of plastic with rubber feet on the bottom. The USB type C cable that comes out the top is about 3 inches long, giving a little flexibility in placement. The right hand side, which houses the volume knob and mixing volume switch, allows the user to customize the volume levels of Gamevoice chat audio as well as game audio. The left side is for mic controls, which has its own volume knob as well as a on/off switch. Located directly in the center of the G3, is the Footstep Enhancer mode button. I see this could be useful in games like Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands, and online FPS multiplayer shooters. When the FootStep Enhancer is enabled the ring around the button will glow white. On the very bottom of the G3, are inputs for 3.5mm headphone and mic, as well as a dual function 3.5mm or Mini-TOSLINK input.

Specwise the G3 is capable of running 24-bit audio at 96kHz, having low and high gains for 16 to 300 ohm headphones. The dynamic range is limited to 100dB, but I wasn’t expecting the G3 to accel here. While Creative claims that the G3 can drive up to 300 ohm headphones, I did notice that the G3 was not as loud as the X3 or even the AE-9 that I had previously reviewed.

So kicking off some gaming, the game I have been into lately is Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands. Trying out the Footsteps Enhancer, I noticed all it did was decrease the amount of bass and increase treble. Having the Footstep Enhancer to me, actually dulled the game. However with the Gamevoice Mix feature, I could really dial in how loud my in game chat and game should be. Another interesting way to control your audio experience, is the Sound Blaster Command App. Allowing you to control everything from your Android or iOS device, via bluetooth. Of course the Sound Blaster Command app is also available for PC as well.

So what did I find out with the SoundBlaster G3? Well in my testing, the G3 does pretty decent. But I will tell you to stray away from using the included USB Type C to USB type A adapter. Numbers from interference, noise, and stereo crosstalk, all looked pretty good no matter what connection I used. However, frequency response was poor no matter what I tried, as was also the case with the dynamic range. Here are the screenshots of my tests.

So in the end, is the G3 worth your $60 bucks? I would say if you are looking for a low cost DAC AMP solution for your game console, sure it’s easy to setup and does what Creative says it does. What about PC gamers though? Are there better sounding options out there? Absolutely. But most of those are more fiddly to setup and don’t have the versatility to work with game consoles.

So if you want to pick up the Creative Labs Sound Blaster G3, it's $59.99 on Amazon right now, as well as on Creative’s store, both will be linked below.

Thanks for sticking around to talk about the Creative Labs SoundBlaster G3, if you guys could be so kind to like and subscribe, that’d be great.

bluedevil out.

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blas.../dp/B081ZN9K2M

Creative Labs Store
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blas...waAoCsEALw_wcB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 07:08 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 676 (Unique: 359)
i'll keep it in mind, just in case MS or Sony drop a $1,000 super console/these new consoles drop for ~the normal price, & some how outpace top of the line PC gaming hardware.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
i'll keep it in mind, just in case MS or Sony drop a $1,000 super console/these new consoles drop for ~the normal price, & some how outpace top of the line PC gaming hardware.
From rumormill, it just might happen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 08:12 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 676 (Unique: 359)
Quote: Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
From rumormill, it just might happen.
yeaaah. which one? the super console, or the mass produced super loss mega console? I have a strong suspicion MS is showing us their big boy first. They've gotta shartbox in there somewhere, we just haven't seen it yet.

they've taken a note from Leather Jacket Man on how to do things going forward. "spend more save more!" They figure kids have plenty $1,000+ toys these days, what's one more that replaces ALL the devices connected to your TV + games

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.

Last edited by skupples; 03-04-2020 at 08:15 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:56 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 55 (Unique: 42)
I like to use some graphic eq so I've been into the Sound BlasterX G1 and AE-5. The G1 is a cheap, nerfed, dirty, mini version of the AE-5. Both have functional +-24dB eq's that start to spread their wings where onboards run into the fence with software eq's. With the G1 you will have to turn down the preamp level to not lose some of the other frequencies volume when you turn one way up though. But on the other hand it runs about 30 bucks.

Neither is particularly focused on bringing out every detail, so not for serious audiophiles at all, but they both do a great job of transforming how your headphones sound if that is what you are after. I like to make my headphones sound bigger

You don't hear from people that like to eq their headphones to sound better much, but people buy bigger speakers and subwoofers all of the time so they must be out there.

And good job on pointing out the differences with different usb ports.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
8 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, HE4xx, DT990pro w b.boost earpads
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 05:44 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1323 (Unique: 702)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
I like to use some graphic eq so I've been into the Sound BlasterX G1 and AE-5. The G1 is a cheap, nerfed, dirty, mini version of the AE-5. Both have functional +-24dB eq's that start to spread their wings where onboards run into the fence with software eq's. With the G1 you will have to turn down the preamp level to not lose some of the other frequencies volume when you turn one way up though. But on the other hand it runs about 30 bucks.

Neither is particularly focused on bringing out every detail, so not for serious audiophiles at all, but they both do a great job of transforming how your headphones sound if that is what you are after. I like to make my headphones sound bigger

You don't hear from people that like to eq their headphones to sound better much, but people buy bigger speakers and subwoofers all of the time so they must be out there.

And good job on pointing out the differences with different usb ports.

you can use a graphic EQ on anything for free, even your monitor's speakers if you really wanted to.

Equalizer APO

PEACE Plug-In

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (Blues)
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate + Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603 Wireless
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S (Browns)
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 12:10 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 55 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
you can use a graphic EQ on anything for free, even your monitor's speakers if you really wanted to.

Equalizer APO

PEACE Plug-In
That's true, but all of the integrated motherboard audio and my G6 prize hit the fence at about +12dB where sound quality suffers significantly.
One example where this matters is vintage headphones. My 3" driver 1970s Koss KO727b and Realistic Nova40 can be turned into soft sounding bass beasts by those 2 soundcards and can sound no better than garbage turning up the eq on motherboard audio with eqapo.
Another example is this video I made of my unplugged tablet running some homemade headphones from a cheap powered subwoofer using the G1. I was concerned about copyright so I removed the audio and covered up the M.I.L.F.$ video.
A fanless tablet is not going to so readily damage your hearing through it's headphone jack while maintaining a quality signal if you use a software eq. Even if you think it is worth it at the time
A third is in games where the bass can be made to be more dramatic.

But like I said before, these are my personal preferences and they come at the expense of detail. I also get accustomed to bass levels over time in music (this goes away after a pause from listening) and sometimes it seems out of place in some games. So certainly not perfect or anything.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
8 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, HE4xx, DT990pro w b.boost earpads
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in