[OCN LABS] Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Curved QLED DQHD Gaming Monitor Review - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN LABS] Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Curved QLED DQHD Gaming Monitor Review

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Rep: 646 (Unique: 436)
[OCN LABS] Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Curved QLED DQHD Gaming Monitor Review

Hey what’s up OCNers? bluedevil here again. Gaming monitors, something we have looked at quite a bit here in the past, but I think Samsung has something that might just be the most immersive gaming experience yet, with no trade offs. Right after this.

Oh what’s that, you want DisplayHDR1000. Must have Freesync and Gsync support? Duh. A stupid fast refresh rate? Um yeah. Today we are going to find out what Samsung has improved from last year’s 120hz DQHD CRG9 with the new Odyssey G9, the 49 inch behemoth of gaming monitor that Samsung sent me to take a look at.

So I really didn’t think super ultrawide gaming was going to get any better than Samsung’s previous flagship, the 49” CRG9 from last year, but I was dead wrong. Samsung really has been hard at work pushing the gaming monitor boundaries further than other manufacturers in the past few years. Previously, I had looked at the 32 inch G7, and loved it, review here . While only really having an issue with it’s PPI in the 32 inch model. Shifting gears from the 16:9 ratio to the super ultrawide 32:9, the 49 inch G9 improves in two big departments from its predecessor, refresh rate and curvature. This my friends is the cream of the crop.

So kicking things off is the obvious, it really has an extreme curve! The G9 is actually the world’s largest 1000R curved gaming monitor. Last year’s CRG9 had a curve of 1800R, which was immersive, provided you turned your head a bit to view the entire screen at times. With a more aggressive 1000R curve, Samsung figures gaming would be even more immersed than ever before. Having tested both models, I can honestly say that the G9 does feel better to game on as opposed to the CRG9. The curve is said to be on par with the natural curvature of the human eye. I know a lot of people are going to love it or hate it, but I really don’t think it takes any time at all to adjust to this 32:9 format.

To accommodate the extreme 1000R curve, the G9 has a glossy white plastic back with the Odyssey logo on the right hand side. Cable management was also a good upgrade, with a shell that pops off and hides your cables inside the stand, which also has a flip out headphone hanger, though I don’t know if anyone is going to be reaching over the G9 to hang them up, but hey nice touch. The stand is tilt, height, and rotate adjustable, very similar to it’s predecessor. Aesthetically, the Odyssey G9 is a looker. Down to its glossy white back panel, to its Infinity Core Lighting, which is color customizable via the OSD. To reach the OSD, the bottom mounted joystick is offset by about a foot, something that struck me odd until I used it. Perfect placement. The joystick placement makes it easy to comfortably access. The OSD also hasn’t changed one bit from the CRG9, which I find to be very functional and easy to navigate.

Things like video and photo editing, like I said in the G7 review, really isn’t what the G9 was intended for, but it's got a wide range of color gamut, which is factory calibrated. sRGB coverage is at 125%, DCI-P3 at 95%, and the Adobe RGB coverage is at 92%, meaning the G9 is fully capable of doing those kinds of productivity tasks. Speaking of colors, I did test with my DataColor SpyderX Pro colorimeter, and found the numbers to be close to advertised. Just mind you that the Datacolor SpyderX does not report anything higher than 100% in it’s metrics, even though the G9 is rated higher.

HDR. Something that in Windows 10, is really lackluster. Now since the G9, like the CRG9, holds the DisplayHDR1000 certification, it means that all eyes are on it for a great HDR experience. My recommendations for using HDR starts with using a Displayport 1.4 cable, anything less and you won’t be able to run 10-bit colors due to higher bandwidth limitations. Now in the past, HDR for me has always been a “dimmed washed out” look, as most of you can agree. Most of this IMO can be solved by adjusting the in game HDR luminance to your liking. Having edgelit local dimming as well as a static contrast ratio of 2500:1 also helps. Samsung states that the G9 is also using Quantum Dot technology, meaning this QLED has more vivid colors with 125% more color space compared to the standard sRGB color space. I can say with quite certainty, that the G9 is the most immersive HDR gaming experience I have seen to date.

Now let’s talk about that refresh rate. TWO HUNDRED and FORTY HERTZ. Effectively doubling last year's CRG9, Samsung does not want your monitor to be your “bottleneck''. 240hz also tends to go with it’s 1ms gray to gray response time, just like the G7. Actually, the G9 is almost the same spec wise as the G7. Just to reiterate, the Odyssey G9 is rocking a 49 inch, 1000R Curved VA panel at 5120x1440p, running at 240hz. Support for either AMD’s Freesync or Nvidia’s G-sync with both ranging from 60 to 240hz. Meaning if you're running at the G9’s full native resolution, you must maintain OVER 60 FPS to keep gameplay buttery smooth, any lower and either adaptive sync technologies will not be active. I decided to up my test bench PC to a RTX 2070 Super, still underpowering this panel, as I would have preferred to test with a RTX 2080 Ti, but I don’t have one.

Specs:

49”
DQHD 5120x1440 panel with Quantum Dot Technology
1000R Curve
VA Panel
DisplayHDR1000 (Peak Brightness 1,000cd/m2, Min 300cd/m2)
Color Gamut (DCI Coverage) 95%
Adobe RGB Coverage 92%
sRGB Coverage 125%
Contrast Ratio 2500:1
240Hz Refresh rate
1ms GTG Response time
Support for either AMD Freesync or Nvidia G-Sync with a range of 60 - 240hz
1 HDMI 2.0 port
2 DisplayPort 1.4 ports
2 Port USB 3.0 Hub

In my G7 review I complained about not having a high enough PPI for a 1440P panel, this is so not the case with the G9. While having the same vertical dimensions as the 27” verison of the G7, the G9 is essentially two QHD 27” monitors in one complete package with a total PPI of 108.97 pixel density. Another spec that was pointed out, is the type of panel used. To be fair, these are MUCH better VA panels of years past. The funny thing is, I couldn’t find a single IPS gaming monitor that had a DisplayHDR1000 certification and had a refresh rate OVER 144hz. Not a single one. So when people dog on VA panels for not being as good, the VA panels that are in the G7 and G9 are “It’s like an IPS without bad contrast ratio”. This was from turmOil26 on Reddit to quote specifically. https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/co...s_like_an_ips/

So leaving pricing until last, with an eye popping price tag of $1699, the Samsung Odyssey G9 is DEFINITELY going to put a rather large dent in your wallet, provided you have the GPU horsepower to drive it.

Okay okay bluedevil but what about gaming? Running my 8700K @ 5Ghz with an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super, I loaded up Halo: Master Chief Collection, specifically Halo 3 since it was just released. While playing, I kinda lost track of time because of all the fun I was having blowing stuff up. Immersion was definitely there, Halo 3 most of time ran north of 240fps, running like melted butter on a hot day. I was also really surprised that the 32:9 5120x1440p resolution was supported as well. Next up I loaded up Doom Eternal, and this HDR experience was much better than Halo 3, mostly due to being developed with HDR in mind. The Doom Eternal experience was pretty good, colors popped, and it didn’t feel like any ghosting was present, that is until I ran it through a few tests over at BlurBusters.

In my eyes, the Odyssey G9 is absolutely on point with every test I threw at it. What took me the most was the frame skipping test. TWO FREAKIN BOXES. That’s it. Most of the time I see 3-5 boxes with the last two tapering off. Wow just WOW. Also there was NO backlight bleed WHATSOEVER. Take that IPS glow.

Okay, so everything is all hunky dory with the G9? While I loved having the ability to test this monster, I guess the only downside is that it's really heavy. That's it. That’s all I have. It really is a pity that I have to send it back to Samsung. But then again it makes it really easy to award the Overclock Scorching award to the Samsung Odyssey G9.

Ok guys thanks for tuning in, if you want links to the Samsung Odyssey G9, links will be below. Are you subscribed yet? If not, smash that like button while you are at it!

bluedevil out.

Product Page
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...c49g95tssnxza/

CLICK TO SUPPORT THE OVERCLOCK YOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Last edited by bluedevil; 08-06-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 40)
Thanks for the review! I thought the 1500R curve on my Samsung CF791 was extreme. I wouldn’t put Samsung up there with my trusted brands, EVGA and MSI, but I’ve had the monitor for 3.5 years and it still works, so I’ll definitely pick up another Samsung when it dies.

Can you load up a variety of games and report which ones natively take advantage of the aspect ratio and which ones have stretching? My screen is (only) 21:9 but I see some blurring and stretching on the far left and right in some games.

Smallblock Power
(10 items)
CPU
Core i7 10700K
Motherboard
MSI Z490 Unify
GPU
2080ti K|NGP|N
RAM
Patriot Viper Steel 4400
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Power Supply
EVGA 1200 P2
Cooling
5 Radiators
Cooling
2 Pumps
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG
Monitor
Samsung CF791 34"
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by 0451 View Post
Thanks for the review! I thought the 1500R curve on my Samsung CF791 was extreme. I wouldn’t put Samsung up there with my trusted brands, EVGA and MSI, but I’ve had the monitor for 3.5 years and it still works, so I’ll definitely pick up another Samsung when it dies.

Can you load up a variety of games and report which ones natively take advantage of the aspect ratio and which ones have stretching? My screen is (only) 21:9 but I see some blurring and stretching on the far left and right in some games.

In the video I am gonna overlay some Halo:MCC and Doom Eternal. 😎

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 05:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I will grab this bad boy as soon as it gets in stock again!

You reap what you sow....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:27 AM
FOCAL ARIA FTW

Rep: 362 (Unique: 282)
Isnt this bad boy going back to Samsung for the quality control issues identified?

FLOOR STANDING SYSTEM: FOCAL ARIA 948 WITH NAD C388 & NAD C568 & REGA PLANAR 3 / HOME CINEMA : YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A860
DESKTOP AUDIO: DENON AHD-2000/5000 -MARK LAWTON & DENON AHD-9200 WITH PIZZA STACK / TOPPING A50 HiFi BALANCED HEADPHONE AMP & D50S HI-RES DAC & P50 REGULATED LINEAR PSU

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 47)
Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
Isnt this bad boy going back to Samsung for the quality control issues identified?

Yep already been recalled

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Yep already been recalled
Yeah, I am still waiting on verified information from my Samsung contact, but I will be holding my video review.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 08:37 PM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 147 (Unique: 118)
This is definitely my dream monitor. I'm on an LG34UC98 right now (3440x1440) and could use the extra screen real estate. The curve looks awesome and considering I'm near-sighted, would be great for me. Then the HDR, 240Hz... jeeze. I think the price is pretty reasonable considering its specs.

But yeah concerned about quality control issues. Such a big display with an extreme curve... that's got to have some issues with the yields.

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Video review is live.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 08:04 AM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 147 (Unique: 118)
Quote: Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
Video review is live.
Cool review - it was nice seeing it live. Looks like a real beast and the curve looks awesome.

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in