[Thought Log] 'C-Sweet' Build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Thought Log] 'C-Sweet' Build

post #1 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
I've started to plan my next general purpose home PC. My current PC is circa 2012 and I am starting to get the itch to update it. It won't be a quick build as I a) need to wait for the $s to accumulate, b) need to wait for some modding tools to 'turn up', c) need to wait until my thoughts solidify and, finally, need people to make some good (or bad) suggestions.

Things that I have (almost) decided on ...

• CaseLabs Mercury S5
    • probably put a 140.2 with 15mm rear fans in the flex-bay ... takes 7 flex-bays - thanks xclsyr
    • either a 'fan' controller or a media card 'rack' in the remaining flex-bay
  • CaseLabs Mercury S5 Pedestal
    • probably putting the PSU and a 120.3 radiator here
    • might see if I can put the reservoir in the front section too
  • Cryorig QF120 fans (not sure if they will be the quiet, balanced or performance version)
  • Cryorig XF140 fans
  • Cryorig XT140 fans (thin)
  • custom water cooling ... but not sure if I want to have clear tubes so that I can see the liquid ... or hard tubes so that I can't ... or a mixture ... water cooling for quiet PC performance, not for the bling (but can be talked out of that smile.gif)
  • single GPU - I don't need multiple, my gaming wouldn't stress any graphic card so looking for auxiliary performance options
  • I might only buy items that come from companies that start with the letter 'C' as I started with CaseLabs & Cryorig ... hence the name of this future build ... 'C-Sweet'
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: Summary of my latest thinking following feedback and further thoughts ...

• CaseLabs Mercury S5
    • 1 x 120mm fan for some airflow over the mobo
    • various flex-bay items
      1. card reader
      2. silverstone usb / io thingo
      3. fan controler
      4. ODD
  • CaseLabs Mercury S5 Pedestal
    • 2 x 120.3 radiators
    • 1 x 120mm fan at front (and back?) for some air circulation
  • Cryorig QF120 fans (balanced)
  • Cryorig XF140 fans
  • Cryorig XT140 fans (thin)
  • custom water cooling ... but not sure if I want to have clear tubes so that I can see the liquid ... or hard tubes so that I can't ... or a mixture ... water cooling for quiet PC performance, not for the bling (but can be talked out of that smile.gif)
  • single GPU - I don't need multiple, my gaming wouldn't stress any graphic card so looking for auxiliary performance options

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 49 (Unique: 37)
First thing I notice - the 140.2 mount takes up 7 flexbays, so no room for fan controller etc.

Which top are you going with? If not the full window, then for a single-GPU build you could easily get away with putting the second rad up top and not needing the pedestal, but that's up to you. thinking.gif
post #3 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclsyr View Post

First thing I notice - the 140.2 mount takes up 7 flexbays, so no room for fan controller etc.

Well poo! Guess that will need to get dropped back to 120.2 as an internal card reader would be a very nice addition to my current PC. This doesn't actually kill off the 140mm slim fan option as the Cryorig 140mm fans holes are at the 120mm fan location. I have a 120.2 in my Nova ... I also have a 140mm slim Cryorig fan ... time to see if the fan will sit comfortably inside the 120.2 ... next time I take the Nova offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclsyr 
Which top are you going with?

Good question. From what I can see, my options are ...
  • solid
  • solid & ventilated (psu side) (slim and fat)
  • window & ventilated (psu side) (slim and fat)
  • window

So ... 6 options. My current PC sits beside my desk on a little stand such that the top of the PC is flush with my desk. I am using the top as a (sort of) desk extension (the lamp and headphones sit on it). I will probably keep the same set up which will probably mean no radiator on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclsyr 
If not the full window, then for a single-GPU build you could easily get away with putting the second rad up top and not needing the pedestal, but that's up to you. thinking.gif

I am also thinking about what to do with the HDD section ... as I won't have any HDDs, only 2 SSDs that I can probably hide somewhere else in the build. Is that section of the S5 big enough for a radiator?

Wait ... I also want a ODD ... another flex-bay that I have to 'find' somewhere.

Let's see, required flex-bay locations ...

Between the S5 and the pedestal, I have 7 + 3 (10) to play with.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 49 (Unique: 37)
Putting a rad in the S5 HDD bay is a custom mod, the height available is rather tight and the S8 side mount won't work. I'd almost suggest if you want to go this route to think about ordering a S8S instead, then you also have the stealth mount included for your drives.

Your flexbay wishlist sounds like my S5 (well at least the top unit biggrin.gif). I have ODD/cardreader/space for fan controller + a 140.1 mount. If you really want the ped then you could go that way and drop both rads downstairs - unless you want the visuals in the top!
post #5 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclsyr View Post

Putting a rad in the S5 HDD bay is a custom mod, the height available is rather tight and the S8 side mount won't work. I'd almost suggest if you want to go this route to think about ordering a S8S instead, then you also have the stealth mount included for your drives.

Your flexbay wishlist sounds like my S5 (well at least the top unit biggrin.gif). I have ODD/cardreader/space for fan controller + a 140.1 mount. If you really want the ped then you could go that way and drop both rads downstairs - unless you want the visuals in the top!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Now I'm thinking of other options - my head might just explode.

The S8S certainly options a ton of options (ATX mobo, additional front USBs) but going from a Corsair 550D at 8.7" wide to S8S at 14.5" wide is a pretty big change.

Let's see if I can talk myself back to the S5 ... put two 120.3 radiators in the pedestal, set it up so that it can be almost autonomous with only minimal connections between it and the S5 (power for the fans, liquid connectors (can you get quick release thingos for these?), PSU back into the S5 (shorter cables), use the 3 flex bays in the pedestal for a 120mm fan just to get some air flowing between the radiators and have a 120mm fan in the S5 for similar airflow over the mobo ... that would leave 4 flex-bags in the S5 for goodies.

Yes - that will work.

Keep the suggestions coming ... don't worry about grey matter leaking out of my ears (or forcefully shooting out the top).

Edit: Found another item I want to put in a flex-bay (the silverstone usb i/o)

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #6 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I spent some time last night looking at radiators. I know nothing about water cooling so it was DasMode videos to the left, DasMode videos to the right, radiator roundup reviews down the middle, focus on some from hardware labs and (or is that 'or') EK before a quick trip back to OCN to look at what cpachris did in BBBB.

So ... are these any good for low speed fans?

Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport Black Carbon Radiator - 360mm

The plan is to have 2 x 360mm rads in the pedestal with 12 Cryorig 25mm balance fans driving air at about 700-ish RPMs. That sounds like a lot of cooling.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #7 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 18)
In my build I'm planning on using HWLabs Black Ice SR2 Multiports. Their low fins-per-inch (9fpi) should work well with low speed Vardar fans in push-pull (either the F1-120 or the F2-120; I haven't decided yet). But I am planning on 1440mm of radiator space (2x480mm + 2x240mm), so that I will easily have sufficient cooling capacity with fans running at such low speeds no matter what hardware I decide shove in the box with it all.

I will be a first time water cooler too.
post #8 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Meson1 ... this is in your TH10A? I'm subbed to that thread and will be watching your build. Can you double-sub a thread?

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #9 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 18)
Yes. My TH10A thread. My plan is to put together a watercooling setup that will have the capacity to cool anything. I will buy my hardware at the end when I've completed the watercooling part of my rather slow build. That way I can get the most current hardware at the time I need it. More than likely there'll be a new generation of Nvidia GPUs out.

If I were choosing hardware today, it would be an i7-5930k, a Asus X99-WS E and a couple of 980Ti GPUs.

The watercooling platform I am planning should be able to cool that lot silently even if it's overclocked.
post #10 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

JayzTwoCents loves those vardar fans (watch the embedded vid). My build is just a thought experiment at the moment. I won't be pulling any triggers for at least 18 months ... but you have to have something to research, talk about, dream, etc.

I don't need anything super modern and quick ... so waiting gives those 980Ti GPUs a chance to float down into my budget range.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in