MSI P43-C51 vdroop mod - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

MSI P43-C51 vdroop mod

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
Hi

I am trying to figure out a way to lessen the vdroop on this board.

I found the data sheet and also took some photos of the area in question.

Could you please help me?

Data sheet: http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/isl6/isl6333-a-b-c.pdf
Look at pages 2, 12, 24 to get started. It appears as though a single resistor is responsible for the amount of droop, pointing to the possibility of a pencil mod.

Pictures of motherboard:
http://oi62.tinypic.com/vijuvl.jpg
http://oi57.tinypic.com/1zfso75.jpg
http://oi61.tinypic.com/29ohcvk.jpg

Edit: please excuse the image host, to view full size images, click on the photo and view raw image at the bottom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 8)

According to page 24, Vdroop = IAVG * RFB. To minimise Vdroop, you must minimise the resistance of RFB. RFB is connected to the pin12/Vdiff (green) and pin10/FB (blue). I cannot see the routing very well in your photos, so you'll need to find RFB yourself. There should be two resistors attached to Vdiff. Make sure you pencil mod the resistor which is directly attached to FB, not the one connected through a capacitor.

On a side note, please don't use that awful picture host. Just use OCN to host your pictures. It forced me to activate js to view your pictures, and sexist ads showed up. Yuck sicksmiley.png.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you for your answer.

Am I on the right track?

I did pencil it. Lead to a Vcore drop of 0.1v. Could have caused a faulty reading, but the temps dropped too.
What is weird is that it booted. More so, 10 rounds of IBT shows SOME stability. Going for my super secret stability test. (Put Trevor in a large trucks bed, have AI drive him around, if GTA V crashes, unstable.)

If none of the above makes any sense, it is because of me being exhausted.

I am sorry you had to see ads.

EDIT: I managed to exhibit symptoms of Thought,

1 is the one I penciled today
2 was the first one I tried before making this thread, could it have been not enough? It didn't work then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 04:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 8)
I'm pretty sure the components you leaded are ceramic capacitors. I think the black ones are resistors, although there are black ceramic caps too. Maybe you check the resistance of the component with a multimeter to make sure it's a resistor? Like I said, the resistor you're looking for is in the yellow square. The caps you covered with led are part of the red square:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Those are ceramic capacitors indeed. Shows how much I know. Well, I unexpectedly gave the motherboard to my brother, this thread can be forgotten.

I am grateful for your effort trying to help my incompetent self.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in