General GPU Voltmod and External VRM Information - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

General GPU Voltmod and External VRM Information

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 9 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by mllrkllr88 View Post
Hey

Not sure I completely understand the question, you should reference a specific card so we can look deeper. I have seen a few very gold cards, like 6600GT for instance, that use linear regulators for things like memory. So on a few very rare old cards its not possible, however, most cards I have come across are using a buck converter style power management which means you should have the ability to adjust voltage in real time.
I found a PCB breakdown from buildzoid for a R9 290X, the card actually uses one single voltage controller and has two voltage sense pins, one for vcore and one for vmem. I didn't find any information about voltmodding both vcore and vmem if both voltages are controlled by the same controller, and wondered how people do it. It seems such x+x voltage controllers actually have two sense lines so its actually really easy.

Another question I have is how do people find the the FB pins without having the datasheet for a voltage controller ? How do you do it if you dont have access to the datasheet ?
I just ordered some potentiometers,disable switches and voltage displays to do my first practice voltage mod on an old 8800GTS, there is a datasheet for the memory voltage controller so I know where the FB pin is but there is no public datasheet for the core voltage controller and I only know where the FB pin is because some people on the internet found it, but how?

Because I want to do some DryIce overclocking on cards like my 980Ti, not knowing how to find the FB circuit would be a problem. My 980Ti uses an uP1984A and there is literally no information about it anywhere. There is a uP1983 with the datasheet available to the public but the pinouts are completely different (checked with a multimeter) so I would need to find the FB pin some other way.

Thx for sharing all your knowledge about voltmodding with this thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

There are several cards that use a single controller, one that comes to mind is the HD7970. It uses the CHL8228 which does indeed have two independent controllers built into one IC. You can see in the datasheet HERE that pin 6 is VSEN for core and pin 38 VSEN_L2 for MEM/PLL. Those are each independently controllable feedback resistances for increasing or decreasing the different voltage levels.

As for finding the feedback or sense lines without a datasheet that can be tricky. I have done is many times now but it takes diligence and some reverse engineering. I look at several datasheets by the company which are available and look for patterns in the layout. Then I make some educated guesses based on my findings and so far I have not killed anything. For beginners, if you cannot find the datasheet, or you cannot find/dont want to use internet mods...then its best to just not even go there.

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
[LGA115x] 8700k, 7700K, 7350k, G3258
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
[OCF FTW] X299 OCF, Z170M OCF, Z97 OCF
GPU
E-Power, G-Power, H-Power, A-Power
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200W
Cooling
Kingpin Cooling: Venom & T-REX
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by mllrkllr88 View Post
There are several cards that use a single controller, one that comes to mind is the HD7970. It uses the CHL8228 which does indeed have two independent controllers built into one IC. You can see in the datasheet HERE that pin 6 is VSEN for core and pin 38 VSEN_L2 for MEM/PLL. Those are each independently controllable feedback resistances for increasing or decreasing the different voltage levels.

As for finding the feedback or sense lines without a datasheet that can be tricky. I have done is many times now but it takes diligence and some reverse engineering. I look at several datasheets by the company which are available and look for patterns in the layout. Then I make some educated guesses based on my findings and so far I have not killed anything. For beginners, if you cannot find the datasheet, or you cannot find/dont want to use internet mods...then its best to just not even go there.
I will just link you to a part of one of buildzoids videos where he explains how he found the FB circuits (minute 4:40) on cards like his Vega 64 Vega 56 and pretty much every card he has ,without having a datasheet. Have you heard of this method ? Sounds better than guessing to me :/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

His "method" is not a method which you could apply to a broad range of GPUs. He is literally doing the exact same thing I described to you above. He is simply looking for the patterns in the layout based on designs which have datasheets for.

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Cooling
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by mllrkllr88; 07-23-2018 at 10:07 AM.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:02 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Did you cut that external VRM off another card and are you using these two Voltage Regulators to supply the 3.3V and 5V ? And why did you short 3pins together on the 8pins ?
For some reason I cant upload the picture here so I uploaded it on Imgur.

https://imgur.com/S5bB96E
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:34 AM
LN2 addict

Rep: 70 (Unique: 42)
Hey mllr, could you add the solder and flux you use for the copper plate epower mounts?

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

Quote: Originally Posted by bigblock990 View Post
Hey mllr, could you add the solder and flux you use for the copper plate epower mounts?
If you want to skip all the junk flux out there (at work I have tried 20+ different ones) and go straight to the best on earth then its Kester brand "Rework" style flux. You can get liquid style pens like I linked up in OP, or for heavy EPower plate modding you would probably prefer a thicker paste. I typically don't use any added flux, but it certainly makes your job easier.

There are many "rework flux" options but I have used both of these and I would highly recommend either:
RF771: https://www.kester.com/products/prod...71-rework-flux
RF741: https://www.kester.com/products/prod...41-rework-flux

You can find them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Kester-RF741-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

FYI: These are "no clean" which means they are not electrically conductive so you can leave it on your PCB and it wont cause problems. However, I would always recommend cleaning your work after you are done with a small bristle brush (toothbrush works well) and alcohol.

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Cooling
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks, it helps me alot.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Today my K|NGP|N TEK-9 Fat arrived to do my first ever DryIce session with a 980Ti Classified (so I dont have to worry about hardmods the first time).
I plan to use a lot of paper towel and kneadable art eraser for insulating the GPU and the area around the PCIE slot.
However I didnt buy any armaflex or somehting else for the LN2 pot. Do you guys have any tipps ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	223304  

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:59 AM
Old & in the way

Rep: 81 (Unique: 53)
Necro'ing the thread; it's still very relevant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in