Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Build Log] Treaded Holes - CaseLabs Merlin ST10 w/c build - Z77X-UP7

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
socketus
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 112 (Unique: 84)
This is an attempt to LOG a build that I think I may follow thru on. Maybe. Let me expand on that a bit. It all started in late June of this year ohtwelve. I have a decent enuf build in the new Silverstone tj-04 with a 580 and a 2600k - mild oc - with a Noctua nh-d14 ... runs fine, does everyday surf and some gaming - no folding, nuttin like that.

Anyways, I gets the urge to find a new case and play ... and I've been following the Switch 810 thread since ... spring. About which time I run across some vids from CES about the new Azza cases, specifically, the Genesis 9000 - yah that fugly one wink.gif It will hold a 480 and a 240 rad, cool I says. And without any critical thinking coz I got none at the time when it comes to filling up a case with MOAR RADS ! I want the Azza.

Along comes late June, and I see that the Genesis is available so I does it, and here it comes and man is it big and what is up with that one side panel ?!?! That very same week, a gaming buddy asks about me building a water cooled pc .... and I go sure ! why not ? I can only screw up at the worst. So I put a rx360 into it and did it look grand. He later added a gpu waterblock .. he could have done the build !!

But all of this puts the Azza to the sideline, but not before I put a 680 and a 3770k into it with some cheap CM air cooling and play around with it a while. So I get my buddy's Switch 810 w/c build going .... and then I begin to see that there is a new line of CaseLabs cases coming out in the fall.
And its not gonna be the double wide cases neither. I read good things about them, light weight, strong, ease of building, but omigosh ! the complexity of some of the builds in the magnum line.

So the Merlin SM8 is coming thread gets a lot of my attention - I think its beautifully proportioned, and somewhere in the summer, the new Monsta 80mm rads come out, and I so much want to put at least one into that Merlin ... but ach du lieben !! to fit it, it will need the extended top, to my eyes, a hideous addition, ruining the much favored stock figure of the SM8 ... oh woe is me ! Not gonna do it, not at this juncture.

So I go back to being a wretch ... not interested in the Azza anymore .... but I've noticed that the ST10 is coming closer n closer to production ... and finally, the pix are posted, I note the dimensions, the rad clearance and the day brightens !!! 80mm rads with p/p fan setup WILL FIT !!

Here it is .. production has been pushed back due to CL's prototype ? bidness .... mid-December and the M5 is announced for release, and a little more quietly, the ST10 - BoING ! I ordered the black case on the 16th, get notification on the 18th its shipped !!! and its scheduled to be delivered on the 24th !!! HappY Freaking XmaS !

Well I swear I'm jewish or some kind of worry wart, I have a cheap p&s camera ... I wanna do it justice, but a DSLR is so [email protected] ... but I give it up and order up such a cam on the 24th, its here now, the case is here, and I didn't wanna wait to learn the DLSR or charge it up or ... I took SOME PIX OF THE BLACK ST10 !! today even biggrin.gif

I gotta tell ya, I had read about CL's packing - the box had 2" thick foam corner pieces - 2 per corner. And so the box is extra big on those corners - the case is packed flat - there is a top cover piece of cardboard - and the cardboard boxing is very strong&thick - there was a slight tear on one corner, but it was all cushy foam that was showing thru the tear - not that cheap crackable styrofoam, but real live breathing FOAM !!

So its been a long time waiting for such a case - I was convinced that I'd go for the SM5 since it appeared to be the next one out ... but micro-atx ? ... ah/meh/ah. And awayyyy ! we go to the pixtures

Like I said, very light but strong shipping box

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The tear - nothing but FOAM !

27" x 31" x 15" - case itself is 22" x 27" x 11"

Like the pods opening in Alien !

ah ! the case xxl window

the foam has subsided !

Have I told you about that super thick plastic ? man, bisqueen has nuttin on this stuff !

the ST10 unsheathed ! well, ok, not exactly the 2001 moment

oh yah, they put reams of stuffing paper innit

without the stuffin, had enuf over the holidayze, and the casters package

case interior

bottom case interior

upper case interior - no, the case, not the text tongue.gif

doncha luv those suicide doors ? the RIGHT side

Right side panel OFF !

and I gotta tell ya - those 4 mobo tray screws that stay connected when unscrewed - finally, someone besides Corsair has a clue - thank YOU CL !!

Lemme tellya anutter thang - that mobo tray slides out like its greased - beats the Azza by a mile

This is where the lack of light really hurts, and not just for the camera - I need to take this baby outside and see its beauty.

WoW ! thats a big gaping hole at the rear ;-)

Have I told you about how light these aluminum panels are ? They - top and front - pull off ever so easily, but are NOT flimsy.

Even the thumbscrews for the mobo tray are lightweight but solid, and are not the everyday industry standard that you find on MADE IN CHINA cases.

HOLEE KRAPOLA !! I just hit the back page button !!!!! ... sheesh. its all still here. wow. I gotta get a fix for that brain fade tongue.gif

Ok - I've messed up - there's 2 pix left to caption and I think I'm on my last pic. FIXED

And I thought that the NZXT switch top was too easy to pop off !! not that this top popped off, but ok, well it kinda did, but the fasteners - pressure fit - are a genius in applying to a pc case - line up the four posts/fasteners and PRESS. done.

Ok - i'm obviously off the tripod by now, but here's the top inlay - maybe I can learn up on the DSLR and take some closeups, coz this baby is so cool on the details - what the CL crew has fashioned is a case unlike any other - strong, light, modular, look at all them bolt holes on the edges !!
and SUICIDE DOORS !!! we iz cruizing BABEEE !!

And the rubber on the cable mgmt holes or gunnels, grottos, wat are they called ?? GROMMITS ! ...

excellent stiff solid rubber. They do not scrimp on materiel. NOT ONE BIT ... esp compared to the MADE IN CHINA cases.

Do yourself a favor, and save up or BUY A CASELABS NOW !!! made in usa and goranteed to last ... and its modular !!! Amazingly light panels, amazingly simple design that is gonna be so effective.. and how to fill it .. sorta the point of the log, aint it wink.gif