Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Not sure which cooler to go for? (XSPC RX360 kit vs EX360 kit vs Corsair H100i) && (Push || pull vs Push && pull)

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
tzvia
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Some of the equation (how much of it depends on you) is the simplicity of the 'all in one' vs. a real water loop. That H220 looks like it wants to be both, without really being either if you know what I mean. A real custom loop is just that, it will take more 'care and feeding' than a pre-made loop, but you will have more options. Anything you need to do, you can make it do, provided you have the funds.

I started with an H100 and was very disappointed with it. Part of the issue was my 3770k ran hot (no surprise) and part was that it did not vary the speed of the fans no mater what setting I put it on. On boot, it cranked up the fans higher then backed them down, and I was not able to get them running 100% after post when connected to the block. Also, for a closed loop, there was some air in there, you could hear it. I wanted to OC, but the temps were way too high. Maybe if I delidded my proc sooner, before moving on to a real water cooling loop, I could have lived with it. But I don't think I would have been satisfied with it.

I bought that XSPC Raystorm kit with the full copper block, D5 pump/res, RX360 v2 and chose 1/2ID tubing. Picked up about 11c over the H100 (then I delidded and got about 20c more). It is more than what I needed for just the CPU, but now I am researching and will be watering my two 580s very soon (as soon as I make up my mind on what additional rad) and my existing rad will help cool my GPUs too.

I'm actually finding planning and setting up my cooling to be fun (but expensive). If you are more into the end result and not the path to get there, an all in one or maybe that H220 would be a better choice. But if you like to tinker and want the most performance, a real water loop may be the way to go. It's a hobby in and of itself, in a way.

I just love my Raystorm kit BTW. It's real water cooling, just bundled together to make it easy to get started.