Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - (New DICE'n trick) Save yourself some acetone and dry ice! Melt that stuff!

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
SkeeterSkeeter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Got some sweet pics guise.

I couldn't get a good picture of inside the pot because of the angle.

What I do is put a small cube of dry ice in first and melt it with the duster (I can hear it boiling co2 when its done), then I add in a good amount of dry ice snow/power (scrap it off a chunk with a metal knife) and add that in with it, the powder melts with the co2 liquid becoming co2 liquid itself in the process going through its phase change to a liquid, then as a liquid it goes through another phase change to a gas. Regular dry ice methods only utilize the sublimation of dry ice. Though I figure in the acetone + dry ice method some liquid co2 is produced in the acetone solution (not sure if they would turn to a mixture or a solution) but it is negligible. But going through two phase changes I figure would require more energy from the GPU to help the co2 thru the process. I am not sure which requires more energy the sublimation or melting and boiling of co2. Seeing as frost forms almost instantly when the dry ice cube is melted I figure the later takes more energy.

Let me know what y'all think.

EDIT: I can go from nothing the the pot at 97C to putting the dry ice in as the steps mentioned and go to 45C in less than 30 seconds.

- I cannot wait for the day that humans tinkering with computers leads to concrete ideas in epistemology. - Me
What I am currently doing with my computer:
WWW.GOOGLE.COM
post-flame-small.gif_.=Overkill PSU Club=._ post-flame-small.gif