Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Official] The CoolerMaster Storm Scout, Scout II Club

View Single Post
post #27532 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Wildblade
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
i might not get a new mobo/cpu/wc setup soon, depends on haswell news. Current is in my sig. but my point is, I've been doing my research and wanted to share what I found...
MOTHERBOARD COMPATIBILITY For Storm Scout 2:

So we all know the box says for the CMSCII, "fits micro-ATX and regular ATX motherboards". (*note: I do not own these rigs)

example #1: 12.0" x 9.6"
here is a regular sized ASRock x78 Extreme6 ATX motherboard in the CMSCII.

example #2: 12" x 10.1"
HOWEVER. I found this on a chinese pc forum (no, I dont speak/read it. Sort of just came up on google). It is an Asus Maximus V Formula EXTENDED-ATX Motherboard in the CMSCII.

example #3: 12" x 10.39"
Another example of an Extended ATX in the CMSCII with a Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3.

Conclusion: as you can see, it IS possible. But you run into some cable management issues like the 24-pin will most likely not be routed through the rubber grommet holes anymore. and like the normal ATX, you probably will not be putting a thick gpu in the last slot. Did not research if 3-way SLI/Crossfire was do-able, but I assume it would not be ideal due to expansion bay slot room. Unless the PCI slots are in the correct order for you to utilize the 6 out of 7 slots you would need. You will also notice that routing your sata cables through the rubber grommets will probably not happen with going EATX either. But there is a solution to all these issues without modding!

If you look below, the Asus Sabertooth Z77 is a regular ATX mobo, but in its cable management, You can see that they just route the cables around the edge of the motherboard tray itself. Problem solved smile.gif

hope this helps anyone contemplating this idea smile.gif I know I am!

My 2010-2014 Build (in progress...)